aberdeen-music

Best console of all time....................

I am torn between the N64 and the Megadrive. Both provided years of entertainment, but because the megadrive was my first love, and due to my obsession with sonic the hedgehog back in the day, i have a special affinity with this one. The Sonic series, Rocket Knight Adventures, SWOS, early FIFA, Ristar.......

however, I would argue that N64 was the most ahead of its time and assembled the greatest collection of games any console has ever had: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GOLDENEYE, Perfect Dark, F-Zero X etc. Plus, I used to spend entire weekends playing N64 with my buddies, so for these reasons I choose N64

Discuss

SNES. No competition. The golden age of video games and still looks and plays like a dream today. Hosts some of the best games ever made including Marioworld, Street Fighter 2, Zelda, Mariokart, f zero, pilotwings, Area 88, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, and Super Castlevania.

It basicly invented the modern controller with its button layout and shoulder buttons, and I still play mine on a regular basis. It's as near to a perfect console as I can imagine.

*EDIT* Post above me wasn't here when I posted this one. Great minds and all that.....

In the name of nostalgia, I'd say the Megadrive (which my mum sold for next to nothing when I was in p7). N64 and SNS tied for second.

My folks have a habit of getting rid of beloved childhood possessions. Last year my dad threw out my Hero Turtles sleeping bag from '91, shortly after it saw me through 2 weeks of tour.

Dreamcast. Controversial, I know, but hey, I'm no gamer so I decide purely on the happy feelings each console gives me. The controllers are the perfect size for my hands (original Xbox controllers were a bit of a problem), it looks beautiful (mixture between innocent playfulness in its size, colour and swirl; and futurism with the USS Enterprise-like design), and it played host to three of my top games ever: Crazy Taxi (BD JOE! We're gon' have some fun!), Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure.

SNES is so close behind it's almost joint first, though.

Dreamcast. Controversial, I know, but hey, I'm no gamer so I decide purely on the happy feelings each console gives me. The controllers are the perfect size for my hands (original Xbox controllers were a bit of a problem), it looks beautiful (mixture between innocent playfulness in its size, colour and swirl; and futurism with the USS Enterprise-like design), and it played host to three of my top games ever: Crazy Taxi (BD JOE! We're gon' have some fun!), Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure.

SNES is so close behind it's almost joint first, though.

Dreamcast is a very underrated and innovative console. It was the first to have full-scale online gaming, aswell as the first console to support both 50Hz and 60Hz output in PAL territories and feature a VGA cable add-on to allow you to connect it to a monitor for higher resolution. Also, the fishing rod controller was fully motion sensitive, which you could apparently use with a tennis game similar to the Wii remote.

I just picked one up a few days ago, but the bundled games weren't so good. Could anyone recommend some decent titles to pick up? I was looking into Street Fighter III Third Strike but it is damn expensive.

Good dreamcast games that won't bankrupt you:

Crazy Taxi

Virtua Tennis

MSR (the first 'project gotham racing')

Capcom vs Snk

Typing of the Dead (never released in the uk)

Dynamite Cop

House of the Dead 2 (best with a lightgun)

Zombie Revenge

Powerstone 2

Jet Set Radio

Soul Calibur

Space Channel 5

None of the above should cost you much more than a tenner tops, with most being around 5. I would reccomend getting yourself a boot disc to play import games, as often you can get them pretty cheap of ebay.

The dreamcast as a true classic machine and some of the best sega arcade conversions are available on it. Enjoy it!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Spectrum 48K for me. My old man was given one by his workplace back in 1982 as a free gift, and that was me hook, line and sinker! Entire Sundays spent trying and failing to get out of Division 4 on novice level on "Football Manager" were a childhood staple. I still have one in working order and you can pick up games for it on Ebay for as little as 25p. As much as I love all the Nintendo consoles and my Megadrive (Playstation and Xbox do not exist), the computerised beermat will never leave me. I remember my mum exhorting me in vain to go out and play in the summer holidays, but I was too busy sitting there, curtains closed on a hot day, trying to beat my high scores on Super Stuntman and Pro Ski Simulator. And as for Horace Goes Skiing...

Actually, I've been doing that most of the weekend. The more things change...

:up:

N64 - Zelda and Goldeneye. Body Harvest also - it's probably very bad in the grand scheme, clunky and full of glitches, but pretty scary in a morbid, depressing sort of way when you're twelve. It got to the point where I'd screwed the game up relatively early on and then just kept going back to the last point I got to, finding the plane and bombing the shit out of aliens.. I have serious ambitions of going back and playing it properly.

I liked my Megadrive simply because it gave me the chance to play all my favourite arcade games at home without having to fill my pockets with 20p pieces and pump them into the machines in Fraserburgh arcade that inevitably had wobbly screens or that just swallowed your money. Eg. Mortal Kombat, Golden Axe, Streetfighter 2, Streets of Rage, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, WWF Wrestlemania, etc. And it had some superb games like Sonic, Toejam and Earl, Kid Chameleon, James Pond, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, and some of the EA stuff was ace, John Madden football, NHL ice hockey, NBA Jam, and who can forget Road Rash and Road Rash 2? I still play mine all the time.

obviously the best console of all time was the amiga cd32. :)

in all seriousness though if you're talking consoles then either the gameboy or the megadrive for me. if you're talking the best games machine then it's the commodore amiga, hands down.

The CD32 was utter ding, most of the games on it were virtually-unmodified ports with an extra 5 slapped on.

My A1200 is still a prized possesion in the parent's loft.

SNES for me.

:up: