aberdeen-music

Tips for 08 ??

saf-one

I really liked the album by The Whitest Boy Alive.

It's Erlend Oye from Kings of Convenience in a new band.

It came out late last year, but I think it's well worth checking schmoot.

Steven Dedalus: So cutting edge that his tip for 2008 is a band that have technically been on the go since 2003.

That came out in 2006, unless you're forgetting it's a new year. Really good album though, do they have plans to release another?

Have you got Erlend Oye's DJ Kicks? It's really good as well.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Like I say, "Cutting Edge" is not my middle name.

I think it only came out over here last November or something, cos it was only available in Germany. To be fair, in Northern Ireland, we're so far behind that the 1960s are still modern.

I liked his dj kicks album, mainly because he sings over the top of nearly everything!

I was also very fond of his solo album, but I've never met anyone else who liked it.

Threads like this are hilarious. Have all these bands just formed? Where were they 3 weeks ago in 07? What factors will make them a better band in 08? Because being championed by NME or milking Myspace for everything it's got really aren't.

Anyway. That list reads like a terrible DiS article of something. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of them fizzle out by this time next year because they're no longer wearing the right style of clothes.

Threads like this are hilarious. Have all these bands just formed? Where were they 3 weeks ago in 07? What factors will make them a better band in 08? Because being championed by NME or milking Myspace for everything it's got really aren't.

Anyway. That list reads like a terrible DiS article of something. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of them fizzle out by this time next year because they're no longer wearing the right style of clothes.

To be fair I don't think many of them are actually being championed for their dress sense. And I don't see why people constantly find the need to discredit bands for their appearance. Style and music are inextricable, whether it be Will Oldham's beard or some skinny-jeaned NME championed band.

• Upvote 1

Guest Steven Dedalus
To be fair I don't think many of them are actually being championed for their dress sense. And I don't see why people constantly find the need to discredit bands for their appearance. Style and music are inextricable, whether it be Will Oldham's beard or some skinny-jeaned NME championed band.

Well said!

I mean, would the Ramones be quite as cool if the didn't look like the Ramones?

NO!

Would Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds be as cool if they just wore jeans and jumpers?

NO!

Pop music and image cannot be seperated, they are one and the same.

Which is why all my music looks rubbish.

aye music is shite

there are too many miserablist bands playing namby pamby shite and wearing their sisters clothes and make up. I intend to rectify this by playing a fruit bowl with boomwhackers dessed as a Dalek . Bring on yer negative comments, it will spur me on a treat, cheers Biz.

Believe it or not not every band produces their best material immediately after forming. Is it impossible to believe that a musician might show promise before releasing something mind blowing, therefore allowing one to say... tip them for greatness in the coming year?

And I'm sure you don't dress in the dark yourself bucko.

I didn't say they were being championed for their dress sense. I'm not discrediting bands for their appearance, either. My whole dress sense arguement was a bit tongue in cheek, but it's definitely something that outlets like NME play on/milk.

And, jeez, you're not being serious about that style point are you? Anyone who cares about what clothes the bands they listen to wear needs a smack up the arse.

Believe it or not not every band produces their best material immediately after forming. Is it impossible to believe that a musician might show promise before releasing something mind blowing, therefore allowing one to say... tip them for greatness in the coming year?

And I'm sure you don't dress in the dark yourself bucko.

Fine, whatever. I'd prefer to find out about new music on my own terms, rather than flick to page 4 of my "THESE BANDS MIGHT BE QUITE GOOD THIS YEAR BECAUSE OF NO REASON IN PARTICULAR" handbook.

And i'm completely lost by your last comment.

Slighty off topic, but I was listening to the best of Nick Cave last night and enjoying it, so what would the best album be to purchase first?

The obvious starting place would be "The Best Of..." - that covers all the albums up to 1998 at least.

then you purchase all the others in reverse order from latest to oldest.

new album out in March as well!

Guest Steven Dedalus
Slighty off topic, but I was listening to the best of Nick Cave last night and enjoying it, so what would the best album be to purchase first?

Right, here's the scoop:

You can divide Nick Cave into three periods:

1. Old testament (Heroin years) - songs about retribution and death. Violent imagery, ugly music. My favouirte period. Best album: "The Firstborn is Dead" or "Tender Prey".

2. New Testament (not heroin years) - he cleaned up, started writing 'actual songs' rather than just rants and violence, and established himself as the best songwriter on the block. Best album: "Let Love in" or "the Boatman's call".

3. Post-script (academic years) - he became very literary, Blixa Bargeld left, and a lot of the danger and excitment left with him. Not my favourite period, to be honest. It all sounds very good, of course, but I don't find it engaging on an emotional level. Best album: "No more Shall we part" or "The Lyre of Orpheus."

In my humble opinion, of course.

Also check out the Birthday Party, as they totally rule.

Well said!

I mean, would the Ramones be quite as cool if the didn't look like the Ramones?

NO!

Would Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds be as cool if they just wore jeans and jumpers?

NO!

Pop music and image cannot be seperated, they are one and the same.

Which is why all my music looks rubbish.

Correct answer!

I think the person who deserves to be massive most is Alessi who is a complete genius and only seventeen years old, fans of Joanna Newsom and Vashti Bunyan will love her. I also have her first EP in a sleeve she hand-sewed with a little owl drawing which would be worth a fortune if she got big, but I'd hate myself if I sold it.

Other tips

Slow Club

The Ting Tings

Ipso Facto

My favourite is the double album Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus which is just deliciously miserable. Abbatoir Blues is the best of the two CDs IMO.

Murder Ballads is pretty brilliant too, but it does start to drag a bit in places.