aberdeen-music

Tips for 08 ??

saf-one

So who do people think are the bands/artists we will be hearing alot more of as we venture into 2008?

Seen as I've started this nonsense I'll go first.

I fink we'll hearing alot more from;

Vampire Weekend

Holy Fuck

Black Kids

Operator Please

MGMT

Dan le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Yo Majesty

Pete and the Pirates

Does it offend you yeah

Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong

Muscles

Ebony Bones

Friendly Fires

The Teenagers

Your Turn.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I really liked the album by The Whitest Boy Alive.

It's Erlend Oye from Kings of Convenience in a new band.

It came out late last year, but I think it's well worth checking schmoot.

Steven Dedalus: So cutting edge that his tip for 2008 is a band that have technically been on the go since 2003.

I saw the Teenagers last year and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen, music or otherwise.

Ditto, i saw them at Indian Summer and while they were semi-entertaining they were neither cutting edge or "new". If they do get big this year it will purely be from magazine hype and they will (hopefully) just be a flash in the pan.

Ditto, i saw them at Indian Summer and while they were semi-entertaining they were neither cutting edge or "new". If they do get big this year it will purely be from magazine hype and they will (hopefully) just be a flash in the pan.

not a lot of things in music are cutting edge or "new" these days, i don't see what your point is.

thieves like us, i'd also like to add to the list. they're neither cutting edge or "new" though, but they're playing snafu on valentine's day!

Guest Steven Dedalus
are any of these bands' entire existences not based on ironic fashion and/or having ironic puns for names (such as er, Yo Majesty)...?

I didn't notice that one....

I actually found it quite amusing.

Then I shot myself.

are any of these bands' entire existences not based on ironic fashion and/or having ironic puns for names (such as er, Yo Majesty)...?

...you...mean...they don't play good music?!

how can they get by in this day and age making third rate music?!

next you'll be telling me that taking drugs and being known for that is more important than the music!.........

ooh, Elvis would be spinning in his grave if he was dead!

So who do people think are the bands/artists we will be hearing alot more of as we venture into 2008?

Vampire Weekend

Holy Fuck

Black Kids

Operator Please

MGMT

Yo Majesty

Pete and the Pirates

Does it offend you yeah

Muscles

Ebony Bones

Friendly Fires

The Teenagers

Your Turn.

Please note;

Although I listed these bands doesn't mean I necessarily like em.

Its just a list of folk I think we're going to hear more of whether we like it or not.

Please note;

Although I listed these bands doesn't mean I necessarily like em.

Its just a list of folk I think we're going to hear more of whether we like it or not.

The "Tips for" lists are getting less and less a gamble every year. By the time you read them in the papers / mags they'll have been groomed for greatness already.

That's why when The Guardian tipped Mika in 2007, it was always going to happen but when the NME put Terris on the cover of their first issue of 2000 they failed badly.

Vampire Weekend

Holy Fuck

Black Kids

Operator Please

MGMT

Yo Majesty

Pete and the Pirates

Does it offend you yeah

Muscles

Ebony Bones

Friendly Fires

The Teenagers

Your Turn.

does it offend you yeah are great live

I'm pretty sure that people have played drumkits before, so probably not that different.

Not many people look as cool as that doing it though.

On the topic of tips, it does do the bands as much harm as good as people have ridiculous expectations of them. The Black Kids for example are ok, but are pretty derivative and nobody could fail to be disappointed when they hear them, having read that they're supposedly some crazy cross-fertilisation of the Go-Team and Arcade Fire. (In reality they sound more like the poppier side of the Cure but with a bit more 60s Bubblegum pop)