aberdeen-music

somewhere to stay in Dublin?

Ollie

I stayed in a youth hostel (it was near the Parnell Square end of O'Connell Street...possibly around Upper Gardiner Street) which was serviceable enough. Sorry I can't recall the exact street. If you stay too close to the centre you'll be kept awake by hen nights etc screeching away til the early hours (grumpy old man mode activated):moody:

ps...this wasn't that long ago...maybe 5 years or so.

Wish they'd change the name!! It was the only time I'd stayed in a youth hostel in the last 30years.

It had single rooms for the more discerning hard-ups.

I've stayed in three other hotels in Dublin...two near the Custom's House, which were very nice, but a bit pricey, and one in Talbot St (I think) which was the noisy one...late night revellers until the early am.s and then, not long after really noisy street sweeping van things a few hours later.

Guest Steven Dedalus

There's a great wee hotel right beside Temple Bar that is keenly priced and quite nice.

Can't remember the name of it though.

Also, there's loads of hostels along the banks of the Liffey on the O'Connel street side which are absolutely top notch.

Any time I'm heading to Dublin, I always check them first. Once again, can't really remember names.

On a related note, let me share with you an anecdote:

Many years ago, myself and some friends went down to Dublin to see REM, and stupidly didn't book accomodation first. It was like Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem; no room at the inn.

The solution:

A taxi to Dublin airport. Stayed the whole night there, gratis.

I've done that twice. If yr ever in a jam, do that. But I don't reccomend it. I was there for 17 hours the second time, and thought I'd gone insane.

I've stasyed in the Parnell Sq hostel as well. Its OK. Couple of minutes off O'Connel St

Seriously - Ask a taxi driver or have a chat with any local barperson. They all seem to be related to someone who does B&B/rooms for under the Tourist Board minimum but IME, any one I've used has been servicable enough & on a few occasions I've landed a real corker of a place. eg - a Luxury yacht in plush marina, riverboat, big old timecapsule of a ramshackle, ghostly victorian house, converted warehouse appartment.....

Jacob's Inn was alright when me and a few friends stayed there the summer before last. Pretty basic but clean and cheap. Plus they have a a few flats for lease opposite the hostel which are really comfy. We got upgraded there because of a mix up with the bookings, so only had to pay the price of a dorm, but I think it'd be well worth a lok if you're staying there for a few days. Bonus points for it being right next to the bus station too.

Temple Bar area is pretty expensive compared to other parts of the city if I remember rightly, and it's mad at night, so if you want a good nights kip I'd steer clear.