aberdeen-music

Photo of the Palace / Mudd Club

Marsh

4 people will find this funny: "WORK you bastarding piece of shite!"

Ahh, the progressive decay of the Palace lighting rig... From tetchy, but copious lighting to one ring of christmas-tree lights and a few working cans. Every sin hidden by strobe. Magic. I had many fun Fridays getting mistaken for being the DJ.

I'd managed to forget about YMCA, and now require to see pictures of our group humilation session.

Also, I used to have a great picture of my friend and I at halloween in the Palace - Dressed as a pantomime horse in the middle of the dancefloor via the explosive part of Sabotage.

4 people will find this funny: "WORK you bastarding piece of shite!"

Great days, great days. One of my favourite Palace memories was Ross kneeing himself in the face and buggering up his nose while wearing... was it a sombrero? In fact, I've seen a photo of that but I can't remember where. In fact I think Ross might've taken it. Dig that one out!

Also enjoyed the time WWF was projected onto the wall while a pounding soundtrack of nu-metal played around me. Ahh... good times.

Seconded. Classic.

The tracklist posted a couple of pages back looks quality..

Most of the bands like Rocket From the Crypt, Smashing Pumpkins etc are great even now.

Why did they have to turn the place into a cheesy pop hell hole? Even if they played proper dance tunes I might go now and then. Shame I was too young to go when it as around.

• 4 weeks later...

Third photo

I think the guy in the third photo (bottom right) is a guy called graham. We all used to sit on the corner sofa (and floor) on the right hand side of the stairs leading to the bar.

I was a regular from 97-00.

I dated one of the barmaids (kirsty), my brother worked on the bar for a few years (tall ben) and he went out with Viv who used to work the bar aswell.

Hooked up my other half there in early 99 and have been with her ever since, we now have two kids!

Many happy memories.:up::up:

ARGH

ha ha ha

Yeah Ross, were you staff? No Steve, he was the bloody DJ! After DJ Paul went off to the cruise ships...

Steve, are you tall with dark hair? Thats the only Steve that I can think of that sat in our corner (God, we SAT on those floors!) And yes that IS Graham in that photo, or just Grim as we always called him.

Total good times - Pogo, Brian, Martin and Craig Deadloss, (Originally Scuff! We are Backward Fucks...) Nikki, Al Clocker, Debbie, Laura, Beth, Angharad, Jessica, Jenny Shanks, Paul Fettes, Helen, Fat Bob, Wee Andy... all those faces! And those were the days when you thought one day you would be bringing your children to the Mudd Club... I remember so well the last night, and only finding out then and there that it was the last night, and not believing it!

I remember that last song they played at the Millenium New Year Party was Smashing Pumpkins "Rat in a Cage" - Anyone remember the last song ever played at the Mudd Club? I have this feeling it was Nellie the Elephant...

I think my best night was my 21st birthday, and puking all down my front in the toilets, then coming back smiling and not remembering the puking til the photos were developed...

Or the night that the new doorman tried to ID me and Anne the Bouncer started laughing and said "Don't be daft, she is ancient, she has been coming here for years!", and he let me in. She was right, I HAD been coming for years - three years - but I was still only 17! Ha ha ha...

Good times, good times. If I find any of my old photos, I will get them up here - including the ones from the 14th May 1999, complete with puke stains.

And yes, thats nearly 9 years ago, fact fans - I have finally decided to stop lying about my age - Star is gonna be 30 this year...

x x x

Hey star,

I was and still am tall at 6ft (my younger brother ben even taller at 6ft 5inches) but not so much of the dark hair any more. I'm confused because the list of people i used to sit with were:

wee Anna, Hamish, Ben, Susanna, rick, bacon, viv, katie, nathan, sam, sid, mike, ed, brendan, grim, the guy that went out with anna wore a kilt most of the time but i can't remember his name, oh and i do remember a big guy from texas.

I always wore a green baseball cap and a black hoody with the obligatory brown baggy pants.

I used to be one of the first on the floor dancin with "tiger hair" greig and could always be found in the middle of the crowd during sabbotage or killing in the name.

The corner i am talking of is the one if you turn right as you went through the doors heading for the bar, just to the right of the stairs leading to the bar was the sofa in question.

I did get dragged in to the place when it had be renovated in to liquid, i nearly cried. I can't believe such a life changing venue could be closed down.

i loved that place.

I miss the Palace.

I'm going to be 30 this week too.... god, it was 1995 I started going to the Palace. 12 years ago. doesn't time fly.

No nightclub i've been in since compares.

Used to stand up on the top level over to the left if you were facing the bar.

Mondays used to be great, and Disco 2000 on Thursdays. Friday's were great once it became the main night though (although not when it was crunchy, wasn't too busy then).

I want to see everyones pics.

I don't have many.

Neil, get those photos posted up!

Mondays used to be great, and Disco 2000 on Thursdays. Friday's were great once it became the main night though (although not when it was crunchy, wasn't too busy then).

QUOTE]

I remember when the manager dressed as a crunchy bar and painted her face orange , handing out flyers on union street:up:

Pints of piss and great music

QUOTE]

I remember when the manager dressed as a crunchy bar and painted her face orange , handing out flyers on union street:up:

Pints of piss and great music

Haha, aye, I remember seeing the large crunchy wandering round town on a Friday night.

Happy days.

1 pints of McEwans .... worst beer ever.

I remember being in woolmanhill student flats in first year. Heap of tins in the flat. Then out to the palace with a tenner (no jacket, snow... pah, i'm wearing a t-shirt). A few more pints of horrible McEwans in the Palace. Winner.

Always money left for some chips from sizzlers on the way home too.

There was more than one occasion where I walked into the palace sober, had a couple of sips of that McEwans and puked. It was that bad. Yet it was so cheap it was almost worth the risk...

I loved it when my student grant/loan/dole money came in (depending on my situation at the time) and I was able to buy good beer for a short time.

There was more than one occasion where I walked into the palace sober, had a couple of sips of that McEwans and puked. It was that bad. Yet it was so cheap it was almost worth the risk...

I loved it when my student grant/loan/dole money came in (depending on my situation at the time) and I was able to buy good beer for a short time.

Did they ever have good beer!?!?! ;)

I only remember The McEwans, until they upgraded to slightly less fizzy Heineken.

Bottled beers were far too much of an extravagance in those days!

Did they ever have good beer!?!?! ;)

I only remember The McEwans, until they upgraded to slightly less fizzy Heineken.

Bottled beers were far too much of an extravagance in those days!

It was bottled beer I was referring to, hence why I could only afford it during rare flush periods. The rest of the time I had to put up with the chunder inducing McEwans.