aberdeen-music

Another night, another halfarsed, halffinishished tune

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
Just going to have another listen to refresh my memory

I'm going to comment on Blank as that is the one I liked most before you put up the other ones (which are really good).

Compared with what you had up before, I feel that it sounds a little cluttered. There is one point that the original piano part is playing at the same time as the newer synth melody making it seem disjointed from the rest of the tune (the piano line). What I liked about it before was that the smooth synth playing the 16th scale bit was a really interesting surprise and when it reaches this point, felt like the tune had been building all the way through to reach this point. It also left you wanting more, which I find in a piece of music a great thing as it tempts you to back again and again to listen to it.

I do like the new additions to the song though. Maybe just be wary of having too many different things going on at once, especially with that glitch drum pattern and cross rhythms of the synth melodies... overall I think this song would benefit from simplification at points. The other thing is that there is a booming distorted bass in there which seems to dominate and distracts at times. However, with the quality of myspace it is hard to appreciate subtle production. Sorry, just read over what I've written and seems as though I'm really laying into your tune, really just personal taste though. With the few bits and pieces I've recorded lately, a lot of the time I find that I'm a victim of layering in too many different parts, it's almost too tempting when there are so many interesting effects and noises to be had!

I think the glitch blends really well in Z demo that has just come onto the player now (really liking this one and possibly my new fav). I like the kind of distorted synthy flutes.

I really like the style of your writing though. You seem to be fairly free with it and appeals to many of the tastes of electronic music that I have.

Looking forward to the next tunes you put up.

When/where is your band playing in Aberdeen?

oh yeah, you should check out this crazy Japanese guy, you'll like it:

MySpace.com - ALONE TOGETHER - JP - Electronica / Other / Experimental - www.myspace.com/alonetogether2030

Lots of really interesting effects. Lots of restaint at times, and plenty of insanity - love it!

cheers man. agree with all your points there - just been bashing the songs out for a set, so lots of spazzy detailed stuff contrasting with basic placeholder parts - i'll go back and make it tasteful in a bit after (perhaps even write parts for it, who knows). I'm playing (bad) piano for blank live, so I'm mainly comping or laptop tweaking whilst the synths are going haywire. Believe it or not the flute is a decent sampled one. I just left the gain on high whilst i was mixing it down.

The band's looking at getting the fuck out of the rehearsal rooms sometime in the next couple of months playing a couple of nights as amalgams of our solo stuff plus bandy whatnot. Should be fun. If the new laptoppy stuff goes down well i'll polish up the live set to take elsewhere.

ps. i like that japanese guy, but the piano (and his editing style) get a bit grating. ooo. squeaky synth action.

ps. i like that japanese guy, but the piano (and his editing style) get a bit grating. ooo. squeaky synth action.

Yeah, was just listening to it again after quite a long break and it is quite harsh on the ear at times!! I do really like Human Beings tune though. He uses an interesting structure for it.

Noticed a large flux of new stuff on your page! I'm really enjoying your tunes, it's refreshing change from a lot of electronic stuff that is out there, or certainly locally. I'm still interesting in getting something together myself at somepoint... just need to keep plugging away with my knowledge to decide how much and/or what to automate. Also what equipment and bits and pieces will be needed to pull it off successfully. How many members needed....

I'm working on an interesting electro tune, or interesting to me that is, at the moment! Trying to keep it minimal, which i find really hard, while still getting interesting melodies throughout. Got lots of parts put down and trying to decide what, like you say, is tasteful and what blatant cheese and how much of it I can get away with (I can cope with higher doses than the avarage person I think). It certainly is a fine line anyway.

So are you playing in Aberdeen? *edit*just read your post properly, will look out for it when your out of rehersals.