aberdeen-music

The Standells and 60s garage/psych/mod?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Was in The Cavern earlier having a browse and The Standells' 'Dirty Water' LP was spinning and fell in love instantly. Coupled with my 'discovery' of the Electric Prunes a few weeks ago, I'm craving some more of this kinda stuff - can anyone gimme some pointers on some of the essential bands of this time playing these styles, that yer average joe (me) might not be familiar with? This shit is fantastic.

Was in The Cavern earlier having a browse and The Standells' 'Dirty Water' LP was spinning and fell in love instantly. Coupled with my 'discovery' of the Electric Prunes a few weeks ago, I'm craving some more of this kinda stuff - can anyone gimme some pointers on some of the essential bands of this time playing these styles, that yer average joe (me) might not be familiar with? This shit is fantastic.

The album which got a lot of folk into this kind of stuff was the original 'Nuggets' double album....I'd recommend it wholeheartedly!!!

If you're a library member, the Central Library has 4 CD comps of 'Nuggets' which you will love to bits!!!!

Amongst bands included are...the Seeds, Count Five, 13th Floor Elevators, Chocolate Watch Band, the Gants......all brilliant. Get them out!!!

The album which got a lot of folk into this kind of stuff was the original 'Nuggets' double album....I'd recommend it wholeheartedly!!!

If you're a library member, the Central Library has 4 CD comps of 'Nuggets' which you will love to bits!!!!

Amongst bands included are...the Seeds, Count Five, 13th Floor Elevators, Chocolate Watch Band, the Gants......all brilliant. Get them out!!!

Yeah the Nuggets comps are awesome! And Rubble ones as well, I like them even more, though they're more British-psych based.

There are a couple of good radio stations too (eg. Chocolate Soup FM) that you can get on live365.com, and Marmalade Skies has some good infos and sometimes downloads...

Yeah the Nuggets comps are awesome! And Rubble ones as well, I like them even more, though they're more British-psych based.

There are a couple of good radio stations too (eg. Chocolate Soup FM) that you can get on live365.com, and Marmalade Skies has some good infos and sometimes downloads...

I'd have to say I'm very partial to the Bam Caruso 'Rubble' ones myself.....can't beat a bit of Wimple Winch IMO!

*goes off to play 'Rumble on Mersey Square South'*

Guest bluesxman

The aforementioned box sets are essential, but get a good compilation of The Sonics stuff, a new one came out not long ago. And Black Monk Time by The Monks is also amazing if slightly more unhinged.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

picked up nuggets 1 in 1up (5.99 or 4 for 20 if anyones interested) seems pretty good after a very quick listen but is more sorta garage rock/beat stuff than what i thought of as psychadelic...

The Sonics

The Mummies

The Count Five

The Seeds

The Electric Prunes

MC5

The Monks

The Monkees (listen to Goin' Down)

The Magic Mushrooms

Love (first LP)

The Knickerbockers

The Trashmen

This kind of music has became my favourite kind of music lately. It's just so fantastic.

Check out The Hidden Masters (ex-Needles) as they play this stuff so authentically.

I'm looking at trying to get The Trashmen to Aberdeen sometime later in the new year although I dunno if anything will come of it.

• 2 weeks later...