aberdeen-music

What music magazine do you read?

bryn

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i read kerrang for years, now i never buy it. i sometimes read nme, but only if theres a good free poster. black velvet is good, but its too small. drowned in sound is probably the best, but the fly and is this music? are good also

I bought a 'classic rock' for the first time.

It was good because there was no image used - i.e scorpions / other extremely uncool bands

I agree with tav bout total guitar, it is aimed at the much younger market, but the other ones just bore me zzz

is this music? is great and should be supported. the only reason it doesn't cover much rock is cause they don't have people reviewing it really. i think they're always on the look out for contributers so if any of you can actually write some good reviews then get in touch with stuart mchugh the editor. should be contact details in the magazine.

used to read careless talk costs lives a lot until it finally folded. the folks behind that have launched loose lips sink ships but i've only seen the one issue. maximum rock n roll is a little too elitist for me. punk planet is good though. don't read nme at all anymore. smash hits for indie kids is what it is. i read the reviews in kerrang every week but only really for work purposes.

occasionally i'll buy wire. but my god is it wanky. and i like wanky.

bought the first few issues of grand slam magazine as well but haven't seen that in months so i think it's gone under as well.

vice's reviews are shit holly, dunno why you think they're real. half the time they seem to be going out of their way to take the piss and talk about anything but the music. do's and don'ts are good though.

• 5 years later...
I was in the school library alot last week as my INT2 Hospitality class (!!!!) had finished, so I stuck to the huge rack of NMEs. Its a really shit magazine - ever ready to promote this whole NME post hardcore (?) image:

ciggarrettes - most likely Malboro

greasy-but-loveable hair

emoish clothes

You know the kind?

also, almost every band featured is called 'the....'

The datsuns

the libertines

the darkness

the von bondies

the strokes

the white stripes

cant think of any more at present but u get the drift

I blame the state of music partly to magazines like Kerrang and NME who seem to push image rather than music and generally speak shit.

What magazine do you read??

Well I have to agree, NME is garbage. Another couple of mags that have gone dropping down in my estimations like dead flies are Rolling Stone and Q - I remember when Q was amazing, now its full of whatever pish overnight chart sensation has just done an absolutely dire version of an amazing old tune (U Got The Love!!!) WHAT-TH-FUK??? I've seen covers of Rolling Stone with Rhianna (or whoever) on! Hunter S. Thompson would mace those twats!!! Repeatedly - right in the eyes... So I read Uncut occasionally... But would rather read Total Guitar or something a wee bit decent.

I haven't read the NME since '93 but I can't imagine it's improved any. Used to read Melody Maker a bit, which seemed a lot better. Future Music mag for free sample CDs and I may confess to reading M8 back in the Rezerection era.

I don't really read music mags these days but I got a few issues of Knowledge, while it was still a print publication, mainly for the mix CDs.