aberdeen-music

Who's having the worst Christmas?

Sue Denim..

I've been getting up at 5am for the past week to work in M&S; I feel about as christmassy as a sheet of paper - not even wrapping paper. Tracing paper maybe, or even toilet paper. There's truly nothing worse than middle-aged checkout wifies and miserable, spinster supervisors. Utterly demoralising, though at least it's only a temporary contract!

Personally, I'm stuck working on an oilrig where nothing much is happening except the usual daily grind followed by the odd game of dominos, pool or cribbage followed by a turkey dinner. ... and the odd can of non-alcoholic Kaliber.

Beat that.

What are you missing? Battling through hordes of desperate shoppers all screaming at each other over the last Bratz doll and fighting over the 3-for-2 Sellotapes. Constant '100 best Christmas Moments' retrospectives on TV all hosted by Jimmy fucking Carr. The obligatory visits to all the aged relatives and in-laws and lying about how lovely the sprouts are. The pressure to make this one day the best you've ever had.

I'm guessing if you're offshore you have a decent wage coming in so probably have a degree of financial security. I believe you have a loving family, a fine band of drinking buddies and a certain bar owner that are waiting open armed to see you again.

Not having a go at you obviously, but it sounds like you need to count your blessings...

What are you missing? Battling through hordes of desperate shoppers all screaming at each other over the last Bratz doll and fighting over the 3-for-2 Sellotapes. Constant '100 best Christmas Moments' retrospectives on TV all hosted by Jimmy fucking Carr. The obligatory visits to all the aged relatives and in-laws and lying about how lovely the sprouts are. The pressure to make this one day the best you've ever had.

I'm guessing if you're offshore you have a decent wage coming in so probably have a degree of financial security. I believe you have a loving family, a fine band of drinking buddies and a certain bar owner that are waiting open armed to see you again.

Not having a go at you obviously, but it sounds like you need to count your blessings...

Yeah, what he said....

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Personally, I'm stuck working on an oilrig where nothing much is happening except the usual daily grind followed by the odd game of dominos, pool or cribbage followed by a turkey dinner. ... and the odd can of non-alcoholic Kaliber.

Beat that.

Doesn't sound too desolate to me, I'm guessing you're on a tasty rate of pay for working it.

If I had the chance to work it I would. It would've worked out at 24 an hour for the double time. I've worked the last 5 Christmases when I was a care worker and, without sounding like a soft arse, I thought making it a good day for others was the real spirit of it. Plus, it meant I could effectively opt out and have a cast-iron excuse as well!

Nevertheless, hope everyone has a good time and remembers how lucky they are...

:up:

Yes to all the above.... which makes a Christmas away all the worse.

However, in the spirit of Christmas I hope we all make the most of it and enjoy the day the best we can. :partyboy:

My mum and dad are separated, and both decided it would be fun to spend christmas with me and my sisters... One told the other where to go, i.e. glasgow, the other went in a huff and went there, without speaking to me and said sisters, and then decided to fly abroad with one days warning whilst bitching about the other parent...

Fun.

Plus, the best christmas present I got was a compilation of swing music. Snooze.