aberdeen-music

'Racist' Taxi Driver

Guest Neutral
What people have to understand is that words like "paki" and "chinky" are considered racist terms because of their etymology and intent. Calling someone who is Scottish a "Scot" is not similar because it isn't derogatory and therefore isn't offensive to anyone.

So if someone calls me a scots cunt in a negative way I automatically become a different race? White Powah

Yeah, getting the police involved was surely a bit of an overreaction?

This guy was obviously just ignorant. His primary view on school places being tight because of 'pakis' was simply ignorant. His use of the term 'paki' was racist, but as has been said, he probabaly grew up using that word - that doesn't make it right, but it does make it understandable.

The woman should have engaged and challenged him on the subject rather than running off and calling up the police. Even when she did phone them up, the most he should have got was a talking to by a few officers. Words like "darkies" and "paki" are racist, there is no getting away from that. But this was just an old boy that didn't know any better. A stern warning would have done the job. Dragging him backwards through the courts was just ridiculous.

The woman should have kept her fucking self-righteous hole shut and not used a stupid, (and probably) poorly educated, but otherwise harmless pensioner as a platform to show the world how wonderfully PC she is.

Personally, I think name-calling across any demographic is cheap and demonstrates a weakness in character, but it doesn't warrant putting a 71-year old through an ordeal like that.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones" and "forgive them father because they know not what they do"?...or are us awful, awful Brits the only nation on earth who aren't a bunch of sensitive blouses?

My wife is a lovely shade of Moray blue/white and is contstantly subjected to comments about her complexion, from my mother's "yer looking affy pale the day, hen", to some Arab who offered me money for her when we were in Amsterdam last year - she gets a lot off attentention from Arabs - go figure (I've still got her as me and the boy couldn't agree on a deal :laughing: ).

The comments irritate her at times, but she doesn't feel the need to run crying to her MP.

ps - should I have mentioned that bit about the Arab and my missus? I could be stereotyping here. Oooh, I'm all confused now. That could be construed as racist. Maybe I should have asked him where he was from and not assumed he was Arab. My head hurts.

Yeah but it's not really the word scot that makes that phrase offensive.

What if he was english and he was called a scots cunt ...does this mean the word scot is just as bad as the word cunt?....

I watched east is east not that long ago and i noticed the ammount of times the 'paki's called each other 'paki's .... Is paki's another nigga,nigger word that only if your the specific race your alowed to say the appropriate slang words?......

I also watch MTV i also listen to the odd rap artist.....We all know the word 'nigga' is just thrown about wildly yet we are not allowed to say it?...Why are we allowing ourself to be educated like this?...

Im very very very confused regarding race creed religion i really am.......

Say my daughter is out with friends and these friends like black music black cultures but are white.Should i stop my daughter hanging about with these kids as they all must be racist as they all use the N word while singing along to there favourite artists?....Where do i draw the line.....Do i follow my dughter every where to make sure she doesnt offend anyone or be racist with her young fullish trends?..

CONFUSED.COM

What if he was english and he was called a scots cunt ...does this mean the word scot is just as bad as the word cunt?....

I watched east is east not that long ago and i noticed the ammount of times the 'paki's called each other 'paki's .... Is paki's another nigga,nigger word that only if your the specific race your alowed to say the appropriate slang words?......

I also watch MTV i also listen to the odd rap artist.....We all know the word 'nigga' is just thrown about wildly yet we are not allowed to say it?...Why are we allowing ourself to be educated like this?...

Say my daughter is out with friends and these friends like black music black cultures but are white.Should i stop my daughter hanging about with these kids as they all must be racist as they all use the N word while singing along to there favourite artists?....Where do i draw the line.....Do i follow my dughter every where to make sure she doesnt offend anyone or be racist with her young fullish trends?..

CONFUSED.COM

Fucking hell. You worry about it too much.

Use some common sense. Context and intent are just as important as the word itself.

Excuse me?. The word paki emplys cunt?.How?.

Not 'cunt' necessarily. Any word of derogatory status. In effect, 'Paki' is a more specific version of [insert a nasty word - you chose 'cunt'], that negates the need for a supportive expletive. 'Cunt' however, is not dependent on skin colour, and calling someone a Scot is not insulting. The two must be combined - 'Scots cunt' - to achieve what the mighty 'Paki' commands alone!

Guest Neutral
Oh dear...you do realise that the proper term for someone from Pakistan is "Pakistani", right?

Yes I do, but people have to realise that they are just words and they only become offensive because people who are weak minded and simple make them so. However terms such as Jungle Bunny, Nigger, sand nigger, woglips etc when applied to people as an insult are not acceptable partly because certain groups may have taken offense to them partly because they do not remotely acurately describe any group of people but then again insulting anyone is not really acceptable outside of the internets.

In ordinary everyday speech with friend I use some of these terms as do they and a lot of people. Why? Because everyone knows what colour/relative geographic region they relate too, so if I saw a persian cat I might refer to it as a sand nigger cat, lots of people describe things like this in company of friends because they find it extremely funny, you might not believe it but it IS true.

But I don't agree with Paki being a derogatory term coincidentally Scotland

and Pakistan both have eight letters. People from Scotland are called Scots, Scotsmen, Scottish so why not take the first four letters of Pakistan and have Paki, Pakistani etc?.

Yes the taxi driver is a bit of a retard saying those sorts of things to people he doesn't know but then again who hasn't used at least one derogatory term for a colour, race, nationality or religion at some point or laughed at another using a derogatory term at some point in their lives? I'm not saying its right but sometimes derogatory terms are used in non derogatory usually humourous ways as an adjective.

I'm also pretty sure that people who are here from other countries use derogatory terms for us whilst speaking to other people who speak their native language. Im assuming that these terms are only used in informal speech as they are here by the majority of people who aren't stupid enough to come out with lines involving derogatory terms in job interviews, tv interviews, formal corporate documents and the like.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The woman should have kept her fucking self-righteous hole shut and not used a stupid, (and probably) poorly educated, but otherwise harmless pensioner as a platform to show the world how wonderfully PC she is.

Personally, I think name-calling across any demographic is cheap and demonstrates a weakness in character, but it doesn't warrant putting a 71-year old through an ordeal like that.

Whatever happened to "sticks and stones" and "forgive them father because they know not what they do"?...or are us awful, awful Brits the only nation on earth who aren't a bunch of sensitive blouses?

Hallelujah, some fucking sense at last.

:up:

Yes I do, but people have to realise that they are just words and they only become offensive because people who are weak minded and simple make them so. However terms such as Jungle Bunny, Nigger, sand nigger, woglips etc when applied to people as an insult are not acceptable partly because certain groups may have taken offense to them partly because they do not remotely acurately describe any group of people but then again insulting anyone is not really acceptable outside of the internets.

no, they're not acceptable because they're fucking racist. intent or not you can't go around saying things like woglips or sand nigger and not believe it to be offensive regardless of context.

the only acceptable use and context of terms as horrendous as that is if you're giving an example of a horribly offensive racist word in a discussion on racism.

just cause you smile while saying something doesn't make it a big funny joke.

Guest Neutral
no, they're not acceptable because they're fucking racist. intent or not you can't go around saying things like woglips or sand nigger and not believe it to be offensive regardless of context.

the only acceptable use and context of terms as horrendous as that is if you're giving an example of a horribly offensive racist word in a discussion on racism.

just cause you smile while saying something doesn't make it a big funny joke.

Yes and I explained why they were racist. The words are only offensive whilst used in certain situations and yes I admit in the majority of situations they would be offensive.

I noticed that you use the word "horrendously" when attempting to describe how offensive the words actually are, the words are not horrendously offensive. They may be quite offensive but they do not cause people to shit themselves or drop dead. Used repeatedly they can have a horrendous effect but I really doubt someone will cry if you call them a nigger, woglips etc...

Yes and I explained why they were racist. The words are only offensive whilst used in certain situations and yes I admit in the majority of situations they would be offensive.

I noticed that you use the word "horrendously" when attempting to describe how offensive the words actually are, the words are not horrendously offensive. They may be quite offensive but they do not cause people to shit themselves or drop dead. Used repeatedly they can have a horrendous effect but I really doubt someone will cry if you call them a nigger, woglips etc...

I'm quite sure you could make somebody cry by calling them 'woglips'. I wouldn't recommend trying it tho. I hear those black folks carry guns.

Guest Neutral
I'm quite sure you could make somebody cry by calling them 'woglips'. I wouldn't recommend trying it tho. I hear those black folks carry guns.

Not impossible i'm willing to agree, they gotta get one over on our knife fascination

CONFUSED.COM

I think the use of the word nigger or nigga in hip-hop is an example of a racial minority taking a word originally used to degrade and offend and using it as a term of endearment in order to help erode the original meaning of the word. The logic behind this being if racists use the word nigger to offend but then the black community starts using it as a term of endearment then it obviously won't be as effective when used to offend. Basically it's fine for a black rap artist to use the word but not a white country western singer for obvious reasons (the context they use the word in is important here). East is East provides another example of the same practice. As for your daughter, technically she's not racist because the word is applied in it's secondary meaning, but at the same time I don't greet my black friends with "sup nigga?" every time i see them cos that's just a bit naive.

I dont know if thats gonna clear it up anymore, it's a tricky subject to explain.

(On a more comedic note, you could always check out Chris Rock's explanation of the difference between black people and niggers. Youtube it, it's Fucking Hilarious! :up: )