aberdeen-music

Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's disease

jester1470

very, very sad :( loved his stuff when i was younger

The writer said he would continue to work on his latest book

Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, it has been revealed.

He said in a statement that with forthcoming conventions and the need to inform his publishers it would have been "unfair to withhold the news".

Discworld author Pratchett has sold more than 55 million books worldwide.

The writer, 59, who gave the news on the website of Discworld artist Paul Kidby, said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" earlier this year.

He said: "I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news.

"I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's 'phantom stroke'."

He added: "We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism.

The author said work was continuing on his latest book, Unseen Academicals.

"All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers," he said.

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet."

He told fans the statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead".

"I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else," he said.

"For me, this may be further off than you think. It's too soon to tell.

"I know it's a very human thing to say 'is there anything I can do', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

Pratchett was made an OBE in 1998 for services to British literature.

According to Jack Herer, the best thing he could do, medically speaking, is to take up smoking weed morning, noon and night.

MySpace.com - Jack Herer - 68 - Male - CANNABIS COUNTRY, CALIFORNIA - www.myspace.com/hempjack

Jack Herer - Chapter 6

Jack Herer - Chapter 7

Jack Herer - Chapter 10

everyone should read the Emperors New Clothes, just to show the degree that the public has been lied to, and just how much politics have been played with peoples lives for the last 80 years.

He has had his moments, mainly 'Small Gods' which was very good, but he is the apotheosis, the pinnacle if you will, of formulaic writing. I read one of his books of circa 5/6 years ago and it was guff, can't even remember which caracters it utilised.

Still, I recommend that he gets on the weed pronto if he wants to keep his cells alive.

He has had his moments, mainly 'Small Gods' which was very good, but he is the apotheosis, the pinnacle if you will, of formulaic writing. I read one of his books of circa 5/6 years ago and it was guff, can't even remember which caracters it utilised.

Still, I recommend that he gets on the weed pronto if he wants to keep his cells alive.

Except, all that would do - if anything - is prolong the inevitable. Alzheimers doesn't just affect brain cells, his body will slowly shut down too. Though obviously, any relief from the disease is to be greatly welcomed, if it does indeed help.