aberdeen-music

Save The Lemon Tree

chilli

couldn't agree less(apart from your first sentence obviously). there's certainly less obstructions than in the lemon tree. no horrid pillars for a start and it's just the right size for what they put on. i've found the tunnels to have far more atmosphere for gigs than most lemon tree ones, particularly those which aren't well attended. it's all subjective i guess.

Agreed 100%. I love the Tunnels as a venue. I love the fact that it can still appear intimate and personal even when it's full to the brim.

I liked the Lemon Tree too, certainly to play, but i also went to some great gigs there (Cinematic Orchestra, Bloc Party, Sons And Daughters to name but a few). The sound was good and the engineers very accommodating. Marj was great as well, she was always nice to me anyway and nodded a "hi" every time she saw me.

Recently i found myself not wanting to go there though largely due to the disproportionate cost of tickets for gigs and also due to the slightly OTT bar prices.

It's a shame that the staff lost their jobs just before christmas but surely (and i don't want this to come across as raining on people parade by any means) any attempts at saving the Lemon Tree are like flogging a dead horse? If it's not working, it's not working. Change can be good. Maybe it'll open up a bit of interest in other areas/venues.

I'm also very skeptical about what's going to happen to the money that's being raised at the moment.

I still haven't heard what the 150 grand is for, can anybody tell me?

Not having a go or taking sides, I genuinely would like to know.

Theres still no mention of what this money was/is for. For all we know it could be anything from the staffs outstanding wages (and ither assorted bills) to next years rates bill.

You can hardly expect people to donate with NO IDEA what the funds are actually going to be used for.

No wonder the place has gone tits up financially.

At first I was angry that the LT has been closed but it does now look like the staff are/were part of the problem and that places like The Tunnels and even The Ironworks in Inverness seem to be going from strength to strength with possibly lesser quality venues to work from.

At first I was angry that the LT has been closed but it does now look like the staff are/were part of the problem and that places like The Tunnels and even The Ironworks in Inverness seem to be going from strength to strength with possibly lesser quality venues to work from.

I've been impressed with the calibre of acts attracted to The Ironworks (Van Morrison was there last week.)

Maybe The Ironworks management could be persuaded to launch in Aberdeen.

OK, I'll bite.

I think you must have been going to a different Lemon Tree than me. For my money, the sound, atmosphere and service in the Lemon Tree was far superior to any other venue in Aberdeen. For someone in the music scene in Aberdeen to claim they're "glad" the place closed down is sheer folly. It smacks of ignorance and personal prejudice against the people who ran it to me.

I would never support bailing out the Lemon Tree in its present form, if it's going to carry on as a venue it has to at least break even, and if they want to carry on the community projects they play host to those should be paid for out of the profits the venue generates, and not subsidised by grants and loans that end up costing them far more than the initial investment provided.

If the Lemon Tree was run primarily as a venue (which is what most of the people on here, and in Aberdeen in general used it for) it would absolutely annihilate the Tunnels, Drummonds and Moshulu. I know there are many bands and artists, whether established or up-and-coming, who would much rather play there than anywhere else in Scotland. The gigs were often well attended and of the highest quality, and the sense of occasion and the setting in which the artists could perform was pleasing for both performer and customer alike.

Obviously there are those that prefer their gigs down n' dirty, and maybe the Lemon Tree wasn't totally conducive to that kind of thing, but there's a hell of a lot more to music than just "rock", and to be honest it could survive quite comfortably without putting on the likes of Napalm Death etc. There's a whole scene out there encompassing folk, country, jazz, blues, soul, indie and electronica that is feel the loss of the Lemon Tree much more keenly than those who just want to get pissed and mosh.

The people at the Tunnels are fantastic, dedicated, knowledgeable and a credit to the music community. They've done a great job attempting to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but the sooner they find a decent space to move into and rid themselves of the cement-mixer that is the architectural legacy to the sound team there the better. The fact I've been advised by staff to wear earplugs while standing twenty feet away from the stage is only the least of the concerns I have about the place. It's ugly, it's soulless, it's claustrophobic and there isn't a decent place to sit down in the entire place. You have the choice of being deafened or obstructed, and neither is particularly pleasant.

Now, if the Tunnels people were to take on the Lemon Tree...

dude, i was in no way baiting you. you seem to react to anyone not towing the party line on here badly- see mentionions of trolls and flamewars. you see conflict as a problem, i see disagreement as a sign that opinions are held strongly and expressed, correct me if i'm wrong but this is a good thing.

troll comments aside, the reality of the lemon tree's situation is probably somewhere in the middle of our extremes. As it happens, believe it or not i dont just go to gigs like napalm death, (they are shit by the way) and i hate to say it am getting a bit long in the tooth for "lagering and moshing" or whatever, i've been to a few shows at the lemon tree where the sunday school atmosphere worked to an extent- will oldham was good there a few years back, but he also sounded much better and certainly looked more at ease at Drummonds a few years before that.

so we should agree to disagree i suppose,

what do i know? I've only played in a few bands in Aberdeen for a while, wrote some reviews, supported good bands, attended venues that were good and most importantly thouroughly enjoyed banging my head against the Aberdeen music brick wall. rare fun.

i bow to your experience as a web designer.

actually i've just assumed that's what your affiliation is with this site, sorry about that- you might be a milkman or a proffessional wrestler for all i know.

ach well.

i say to the whole thing-

"survival of the fittest"

I've been impressed with the calibre of acts attracted to The Ironworks (Van Morrison was there last week.)

Maybe The Ironworks management could be persuaded to launch in Aberdeen.

The Ironworks is very impressive. I never thought that I would see Sepultura saying "Hello Eeeenvereness"

If the Ironworks could do it in Inverness and the LT has failed in Aberdeen serious questions have to be asked about the LT management.

If the Ironworks could do it in Inverness and the LT has failed in Aberdeen serious questions have to be asked about the LT management.

All power to the Ironworks, looks like they are doing great things, but it's not that useful a comparison to make with the Lemon Tree - the scope and and volume of their programme is nothing like that of the LT, it is a commercial venture, it's about double the capacity, and it's been on the go about 2 years, where as one way or another the LT was running for 15.

from the variety of opinions in this thread alone...

if anyones interested in contributing a tribute/testimonia/review for the lemon tree to the next snafu magazine (out feb) then please get in touch.. my brother, jonnie justice, was the sound man there for 7 years and we have other contributions we're planning from various staff + acts - past and present...

this certainly isn't going to be a smug address from another venue as our magazine has always covered events at other locations across town (for free).. plus the sheer variety of acts at LT meant a good demographic of the community was catered for and thats sad to see go.. well, if it does

jaco@snafumagazine.com

Save The Lemon Tree Campaign Statement

On Tuesday 4th December the decision was taken to put the Lemon Tree into voluntary liquidation and the venue closed on that day. Immediately the Save The Lemon Tree campaign was formed and a target was set for fundraising to save one of the most important arts venues in Aberdeen.

We've had tremendous support from the people of Aberdeen and have received many individual donations for which we are extremely grateful. However, we've fallen a long way short of 150,000. On Friday 21st December the interim liquidator will have a meeting with the company's creditors and the process will be in the legal system. It is clear to us that the company cannot be saved.

But the veune, the former St Katherine's Centre must continue as an arts venue serving the people of Aberdeen. Since 1992 it has provided the only mid-range theatre facilities in the city, a premier music venue and a range of community and outreach work that has been of benefit to communities throughtout Aberdeen.

The focus of our campaign will now change; firstly, we'll lobby the city council to ensure that the building remains devoted to the arts; secondly, that the good work of the Lemon Tree Aberdeen Ltd continues - the youth music projects and community development, working with the older people's groups, adults with learning difficulties and physical disabilities, bringing innovative theatre, dance and kids shows to Aberdeen as well as the music! We believe that a new organisation should be created to continue that work and we will meet with Aberdeen City Council, Scottish Arts Council and others involved with the arts in the city with a view to establishing that organisation.

Thank you all again for your messages of support over the past two weeks, it underlines for us the need to save The Lemon Tree as an arts venue.

Anyone wishing to support this should email us. All monies donated have been deposited in a bank account and will be used to establish the new organisation to allow the vital work of The Lemon Tree to continue. We have the support of our local politicians; Frank Doran, Anne Begg, Lewis MacDonald and Richard Baker in this.

Any donors who don't support these objectives are invited to contact us by email through the website, and request a refund of their donation before Monday 31st December 2007.

email us at: info@savethelemontree.org

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghgh ghghghghghg

The Ironworks is very impressive. I never thought that I would see Sepultura saying "Hello Eeeenvereness"

hog, you know i think you are a dude. but man, this kind of responce is exactly why i get crabby about the LT moan fest/aberdeen music. the situation stares you in the face, its obvious- the place is fucked- both business wise and culture wise. but the good twits of aberdeen music cant resist a good will pilly-on- see for example the politocally meaningless anti war gig. tarred and feathered by oppertunist and tottally un-politocal bands.( holy fuck, we're dos dedos, we're politocal with a capital ding, etc.) dont take it wrong wise hoggy baby, but you- and i feel the majority of the ab-music unconciousness would be standing by the nazis commenting on the snappyness of the uniforms, untill someone spelled genocide to you. letter by letter, slowly. in short- i think yer a nice bloke- but you go with the flow, and make your mind up after the fact. its a shame- you are high priest of the twit fest.

i mean would you eat your own shit if six people on here told you it was a good idea?

hur hur.

right i'm off to see the needles and copy ha-hoars. if i get there in time.

later, losers.

ps, good luck with the new ep by the way.

hog, you know i think you are a dude. but man, this kind of responce is exactly why i get crabby about the LT moan fest/aberdeen music. the situation stares you in the face, its obvious- the place is fucked- both business wise and culture wise. but the good twits of aberdeen music cant resist a good will pilly-on- see for example the politocally meaningless anti war gig. tarred and feathered by oppertunist and tottally un-politocal bands.( holy fuck, we're dos dedos, we're politocal with a capital ding, etc.) dont take it wrong wise hoggy baby, but you- and i feel the majority of the ab-music unconciousness would be standing by the nazis commenting on the snappyness of the uniforms, untill someone spelled genocide to you. letter by letter, slowly. in short- i think yer a nice bloke- but you go with the flow, and make your mind up after the fact. its a shame- you are high priest of the twit fest.

i mean would you eat your own shit if six people on here told you it was a good idea?

hur hur.

right i'm off to see the needles and copy ha-hoars. if i get there in time.

later, losers.

ps, good luck with the new ep by the way.

I have no idea what you're on about :laughing:

see for example the politocally meaningless anti war gig. tarred and feathered by oppertunist and tottally un-politocal bands.( holy fuck, we're dos dedos, we're politocal with a capital ding, etc.)

o_O

I know it's been 4 or 5 years since the gig you mentioned, so it's not exactly a fresh memory, but you've managed to single out one of the few acts on that bill who were political.

But you know, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

o_O

I know it's been 4 or 5 years since the gig you mentioned, so it's not exactly a fresh memory, but you've managed to single out one of the few acts on that bill who were political.

But you know, never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

ya, thats true chris...actually i just remembered you were in that band. I had no idea the dos dedos were politocal as such, i just took the occassion at face value: bandwagon jumping bad metal band with "timing issues". i'll obviously give the mp3's extensive attention as to the lyrical content.

anyway, war is bad. Aberdeen is worse.

LOL. etc.

cheers Jake.

you know the hog score. i really dont know exactly what i meant there- apart from Hog sums up how fucking irrelevant this site is.

anyhow,

I'm of to watch the follow up to that ruskie horror flick nightwatch now- i'm sure it'll be ultra mental.