aberdeen-music

Pete Doherty

Lemonade

I was really impressed with them. To me they took the route the LIbertines were on with Up The Bracket and carried it on, lots of energy perhaps without the shambolic madness of the Libs. I certainly prefer DPT to Babyshambles, but I would say neither are as good as The Libertines. They were one of my favourite bands, at least until the second album dropped, I was really disappointed in it.

All DPT did was rehash The Libertines though. They're a poor version of them.

Babyshambles are more experimental.

Oh and having heard every song Doherty has ever put on the web, 'Gang Of Gin' is by far his best work lyrically. In my opinion of course.

what Doherty gets up to is of absolutely no interest to me, if it doesn't concern music.

I stay the hell away from NME and I don't read any newspapers. So I couldn't care what bird he's shagging or what his latest arrest is for. Try to be objective people. His music is very good and the latest Babyshambles album is bloody great, both musically and lyrically.

So Gang of Gin, You Talk, Killamangiro, fuck Forever etc ain't great songs?

His lyrics are also very deep and meaningful and I think he has a pretty good voice.

His songs actually have relevance in modern society. they examine a lot of important issues and they make witty observations of all things British.

Compare that with the majority of shit that clogs up mainstream British rock/indie. Eg Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys etc.

Yep, they're not. Good songs, not great. And, as has been mentioned, Fuck Forever is a shite song.

Babyshambles aren't bad, but if it wasn't for the boy Doherty and his associated ex-Libertine and tabloid prestige, I doubt they'd have got very far. Let's face it, both Babyshambles and DPT are pale imitations of the Libertines.

I must say, I fail to see what's so "experimental" about the band. They surely play pretty standard, straight forward guitar-based rock music?

And as for all this "lyrical genius" banter, I agree to an extent that he has a way with words and the odd clever turn of phrase, but there are far better lyricists out there.

Also, I don't quite see how you're a fan on "witty observations of all things british", and yet don't like the Arctic Monkeys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the scally wee arseholes, but surely that's the one thing you've got to applaud them for?

I thought Babyshambles were pretty good at the Music Hall. I also went to the ill fated Lemon Tree gig as well. He's got some good advice as far as PR goes. Either him or his people are on the money as far as generating publicity go.

Dirty Pretty Things are ok as well i guess.

The whole drugs thing bothers me though, Doherty clearly has talent but his drug problems totally overshadow that in a monumental fashion.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sick of seeing his stupid pasty face, and I'm sick of listening to his mumbling, self-important, junkie pish. The sooner he takes an overdoses and dies, the better.

well said Elwood. the man's a disgrace, he just gets on however the fuck he wants, knowing rightly his herds of dopey fans will all pay in the hope of him actually turning up. he's in the news too much, the new babyshambles stuff is all mediocre. if carl barat has any sense he'll never reform the libertines, there would be no point. every time doherty gets arrested/doesn't turn up for a gig doesn't it just feel like groundhog day? and now amy wineo is just a female version of him, consigned to spend the next five years making shite, overrated music, and being heralded as a 'tortured genius' etc despite this. too much money, not enough fucking sense. and thats just the fans.