LOW

Cat Power

Boredoms

Broadcast

Gorky's 1st time

Transglobal Underground with Natacha Atlas

Red Snapper

The Cinematic Orchestra (1st time)

Life Without Buildings (the bounciest gig almost ever)

GodspeedYBE

Love (1st time)

Mondo Morricone (upstairs featuring the cream of the Glasgow music mafia)

Philip Jeck with added Wobble

The Big Chill on the Road (still their only ever Scottish show)

Abdul Gadir Salim (Sudan)

Baba Maal (the night after he played Mandela freedom gig in London)

Fannies

Cons

The Fall coz they were never be as good as they were genius in '83

Sigur Ros & Mogwai (ref Stuart Braithwaite being pissed off on both occasions)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, does it make me gay if I say that the above statement is the sweetest thing ever?

Possibly.

hell no...just a lovely metrosexual.

he he

----

some comedy nights I remember

charlie chuck & Mr Methane

jim tavare

Harry Hill & al murray (doing the "gun / noises" routine )

as everyone has mentioned, Phil Kay (crank phonecalls....what a man)

this was when the comedy club was on in the first year of the LT (1990? 1991?)

A lot of people seem to have been saying The Lemon Tree wasn't that good but I always enjoyed being there, such a nicer environment than Moshulu (horrible sticky floor and overpriced crap beer in plastic cups although Lemon Tree beer was overpriced too but at least it was nice.

Highlights for me in no order were:

Turbonegro

Pink Grease/ Liars / Wire

The Research (all 3 times)

Billy Bragg

Gruff Rhys/Espers/Boom Bip/Euros Child

Toots & The Maytals

Boredoms

Devendra Banhart/ Vetiver

i saw a letter in the evening express complaining that the lemon tree should've been booking Nazareth and the likes instead of "throat singing groups form outer mongolia no one wants to see".

which reminds me: YAT-KHA. i saw them at the lemon tree three or four times, and they were excellent each time and never the same experience.

and someone's probably mentioned it, but i rather enjoyed wire at that mute records night. great intro.

i saw a letter in the evening express complaining that the lemon tree should've been booking Nazareth and the likes instead of "throat singing groups form outer mongolia no one wants to see".

which reminds me: YAT-KHA. i saw them at the lemon tree three or four times, and they were excellent each time and never the same experience.

and someone's probably mentioned it, but i rather enjoyed wire at that mute records night. great intro.

I'm sure Nazareth played the lemon tree fairly recently. Or at least in the last year or two ?( and who wouldn't want to see Mongolian Throat Singing?

Yat-kha were pretty special though, I loved nights like that.

Guest bluesxman

Wish I'd seen one of those shows, got into them after you put that song on the Fudge X CD....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where to begin....

...the ones I saw, the ones I wish I'd seen...

The Wannadies (twice - my favourite being the one where Per starts singing softly only to be drowned out by the chattering of the bar crowd. He comes to the end of his bit, says 'Talk all you want' and the band crash in to completely drown out the chatterers whose heads explode while the rest of us dance. Well, maybe not the exploding head bit.)

The Kills, The Delgados (on their last ever tour), KT Tunstall, Soulwax, Astrid Williamson, Thea Gilmore, Erin McKeown, The Divine Comedy, Roddy Frame, Kathryn Williams, Bic Runga, Beth Orton, The Webb Brothers.

And the last one I saw, and the least populated, the excellent Mark Eitzel. The one LT gig I've been to where it wasn't deluged by bar chatterers.

I would've liked to have seen many more but due to illness and my not actually living in the city I could not, and now I never will.

sighs

The Lemon Tree was a great place. I particularly remember:

Dick Dale

Link Wray amazing when he got some of the audience to strum his guitar!

Rufus Thomas - who I surprised by producing a Sun 78 of his first record "Bear Cat" made in 1953.

He had a great entertaining show. I especially liked the bit when he was chatting up a young lady in the audience and then found she was standing next to her boyfriend - then he got them both up on stage and "Married" them with his band playing The Wedding March.

Scotty Moore and DJ Fontanta were great. Wonderful to see Scotty playing and no one can beat DJ's drumming on "Hound Dog".

Scotty was good too when he came back without DJ.

Graham

Another favourite Lemon Tree moment.....when a female heckler kept giving Julian Cope a hard time, shouting "Your new album's shite!!!". He put up with it for a while then told her if she came to the stage he'd refund her ten pounds. Foolishly she did come down, at which he grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and chucked her out the front doors.

I've a feeling he might not get away with it nowadays, but it was a laugh at the time.

Mr Cope has a way with hecklers - check this link to YouTube

YouTube - Julian cope getting a little upset

Graham