aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree Memories

senseless

One of the best gigs of my life, my then-favourite band Terrorvision at the Lemon Tree in 2000, spent the entire gig in the centre of the front row bouncing and cheering, then hung about afterwards and had a pint and a natter with Tony, Shutty, and Josephine. On the way out, pilfered a signed drumskin that someone had carelessly left sitting on a table, that went straight up my jumper. I've still got it somewhere.... great band, great night.

Other good nights: first time i saw Zombina & The Skeletones, 2005, been in love with them ever since.

Seeing Rich Hall as Otis Lee Crenshaw, absolutely brilliant.

Reginald D Hunter, they don't come much funnier than him.

BTW if that drumskin belonged to anyone here, I apologise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crowdsurfing at radiohead in 95 was definitely the highlight for me, still have the tour t-shirt from that gig - boy it's geeky looking, different though! it was an amazing gig.

remember reef in 1996 being really good too, sure it was in december sometime.

proclaimers a few years back were smashing as well.

wildhearts was a good one too.

I'm hopeless at remembering favourite gigs and the like. The stupidest thing about the Lemnon Tree, despite the fact it was always going to be a music venue, it seemed to have been designed to be like you're living room. Remember when it first opened the stage was a stupid little triangle in the corner opposite where the stage is now ie where the dj is...was :down:

The Gold Bier and K Cider comedy nights! Phil Kay hosting them! Too funny some nights

Senser-New kingdom

Mad Professor-Revolutionery Dub Warriors

Playing an Atom Flask Elvisness set to a stunned audience of reverential Elvis fans.

Playing a Greenblade set at a new year party (93 or 94) I think an the live recordings we used to get.

Many gigs, like Graeme, I'm crap at remembering unless someone else mentions.

The professionalism of the stage crew and stage management. Always a pleasure to play there and don't ever recall being disrespected and if we were it was very rare.

*now trying too hard to think of great nights there that were numerous*

Guest Giles Walker

Faze Action (the first gig i went to on my own and had a good time)

The Soul Destroyers

Clinic

Broadcast

LCD Soundsystem

Andy Votel

APB

Nightmares on wax

Cinematic Orchestra

the early Hookers Green gigs

Kool Keith (even though it was a bit crap i had wanted to see him for so long i still loved it)

loads loads more

The Lifestyle night (lowlife was at exodus) was always really good, i am proud to have been a part of them.

I think i went to Juice one time when i was 15 or 16 which would make it the first club i went to.

My least fave moment in the Lemon Tree was having a bunch of my 7" singles stolen when i was warming up for James Taylor Quartet. They even took my 7" slipmatts.

Also the sound folk never really seemed to want to give me a monitor.

The place definitely had its moments though

Ooh er, do tell!? o_O

Well...he was apparently having 'good nights' and 'bad nights' on the tour, and the Aberdeen one was definitely a bad one. So bad that most of the audience baled out at half-time. His manager/support act told what remained of the crowd that Davy realised he'd been poor, and would come back in the second half to do a predominantly blues-based set (why he though this would please everyone I don't know, as it was his playing, not his choice of material which was the problem).

So Davy came back on, launched into 'Blues for Gino', then stopped to tell the audience that he wouldn't be dictated to, and was here to educate us (or words to that effect), before doing damage to his next piece.

It was 'an experience'. I felt sorry for Davy/disappointed at the same time.

Another folk/blues legend recently told me that the manager was working Davy into his grave (although the manager thinks he's helping him back on course.....hard to tell which really).

Another favourite Lemon Tree moment.....when a female heckler kept giving Julian Cope a hard time, shouting "Your new album's shite!!!". He put up with it for a while then told her if she came to the stage he'd refund her ten pounds. Foolishly she did come down, at which he grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and chucked her out the front doors.

I've a feeling he might not get away with it nowadays, but it was a laugh at the time.

Jah Wobble, despite making my left ear buzz for six months.

Nick and Roy Harper together and separately

Ivor Cutler Tribute night

Julian Cope on numerous occasions including once when he came over mid-set for a chat.

Terraplane with Hubert Sumlin

Love

Peatbog Faeries

Mickel Mass

Misspelled Cult of Balvack, or did I dream that one? o_O

Misspelled Cult of Balvack, or did I dream that one? o_O

Arf!!! (as Colonel Blink was wont to say!)

MySpace.com - Misspelled Cult of Balvack - UK - Experimental / Electronica / Industrial - www.myspace.com/misspelledcultofbalvack

Another great night was the Puerto Muerte (sp?)/Andrew Bird one....oh, and the '4 Martins' night with Martin Carthy, Martin Simpson, Martin Taylor & Juan Martin. I also really liked the Plainsong night.....

Biffy + Eska - front row centre, fucking amazing. the....second/third time i'd seen them? time before in aberdeen being lava/kef...

Cooper Temple Clause + Biffy - Again, front row...had to leave before the end because my ears were ringing!

Finch + Brand New - amazing at the time!

Hell is for Heroes - fantastic. was in a shit mood and was promptly cheered right back up.

Kingmaker, second proper gig I ever went to. 1st was, er, Kingmaker supported by Radiohead at the Edinburgh Venue too many fucking years ago.

Whiteout

Neds Atomic Dustbin

Eugenius

Lorelei

Dawntreaders

Loveless (well, the 90'sincarnation of APB)

Also saw numerous performances of a Newburgh band (Unflavoured) there, numerous Aberdeen bands (Phonefreak, One God Universe, etc), and I'm pretty sure I supported Tinderbox (who were they before? buggered if I can remember) there when I was in an Ellon band called Verge sometime in the mid 90's.

I'll genuinely miss the place. It was...comfy.

Guest Steven Dedalus

plenty more...but the best was probably when I went on my first "date" with my now wife. (awwww)

Phil, does it make me gay if I say that the above statement is the sweetest thing ever?

Possibly.

Best gig of all time:

Hookers Green No1 when Lucy started a fight and called the bouncer a "fascist".

Reading through the responses on this thread, it's remarkable just how many influential and varied artists have appeared at a such a cosy wee venue as the Lemon Tree!

Highlights for me: -

• Sensational Alex Harvey Band - finally getting to hear Zal Cleminson rip through the opening chords of Faith Healer, not 6 feet from my face.
  • Phil Kay's phone windups at the comedy nights - especially the time when he called some churchy old cunt who'd been moaning about morals in the P&J.
  • Lee Evans - an unknown at the time ('93). More energy than a nuclear reactor

oh me...where to start....

some memories for me and in no particular order....

iris dement

peter rowan and the rowan brothers

michelle shocked

frank black

kelly joe phelps

courtney pine

steve earle

the wildhearts

scotty moore

terry callier

the music

martin hayes and dennis cahill

kill 2 this

jah wobble

julian cope

juice nights

any needles gig

any karloff gig

radioskool nights

and oh how we laughed... :laughing:

corky and the juice pigs

The johnny 7

ardhal o'hanlon ( well before father ted ! )

bill bailey

harry hill

kinky friedman

rich hall

and of course there are more.... !

M x

The Grandmothers of Invention-Zappa's old band playing the 60's material the year after his death. Absolutely mind-blowing for a 16 year-old Zappa freak as I was at the time.

I quite enjoyed that performance too. What made it more memorable was the fire alarm going off and everyone being evacuated. Then later on in their set they incorporated "Is that your idea of a fire-drill?" in to one of their songs.

My personal faves in no chronological order:

Mogwai - Like Herod, Fear Satan and Christmas Steps being blasted out full tilt as Start Braithwaite et al were pissed off with some of the crowd yakking over their quiter spells.

Fugazi - the migraine I was suffering from that day wasn't enough to deter me missing out on them.

Annie Christian - immense.

Bill Hicks (Slight Return) - Jesus! Just like the real thing. Best comedy routine I've ever seen.

DJ-ing many a Fudge Night. Cheers guys.

Ah! The memories.

Music

Gene

Lifestyle

Neville Staple

Frank Black

Quantic Soul Orchestra

Broadcast @ Unknown Pleasures

Roots Manuva @ Radio Skool

Shane MacGowan

Dogs Die in Hot Cars + AKA the Fox

Johnny Cash tribute 2005

Elvisness with (half) The Videos, Bill Ely and the Catnips & more

The Little Kicks a few times

Mute night @ Triptych 2004 (particularly Pink Grease)

Hot Chip & Akufen @ Triptych 2004

LCD Sound System, postponed Triptych show 2004

Th' Legendary Shack Shakers

Billy Bragg

probably much more that will come to mind too

Comedy

Reginald D. Hunter

John Hegley

Lee Mack early 2006 (laughed so much I thought I was either going to puke or have a heart attack)

Didn't know Harry Hill had played Marj - wish I'd seen that!

Theatre

Vanishing Point - Lost Ones (twice)

Dogstar Theatre - The Seer

When the Dons Were Kings (a Lemon Tree Production)

What's Wrong with Jack Frost (a Lemon Tree Production)

50+ Theatre - The Empty Chair

Freshmess Dance

Phil, does it make me gay if I say that the above statement is the sweetest thing ever?

Possibly.

Best gig of all time:

Hookers Green No1 when Lucy started a fight and called the bouncer a "fascist".

no, that fact that you chug cocks makes you gay :)

i remember that night, good times. the facist bit, not the cock chugging.