aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree Memories

senseless

Hey,

Let's leave the current Lemon Tree story for the other thread. Use this page to record all your memories of the place.

Some of the music acts that have played over the years include:

Ash - Biffy Clyro - Bloc Party - Bob Geldof - The Delgados - The Earlies - Godspeed You Black Emperor - Goldie Lookin Chain - Hot Chip - Idlewild - Kate Nash - KT Tunstall - LCD Soundsystem - Maximo Park - Mogwai - Nerina Pallot - Pigeon Detectives - Radiohead - Shane MacGowen - Sigur Ros - Snow Patrol - Teenage Fanclub

Comedians:

Adam Hills - Craig Hill - Jo Brand - Lee Evans - Lee Mack - Phil Kay - Russell Howard - Stewart Lee

As well as the gigs, there have been numerous award winning theatre companies, dance companies, kids shows, workshops, youth theatres, drama groups, choirs, summer schools, visual art workshops, exhibitions, Rootin Aboot festival, free lunchtime gigs...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourite shows:

• Idlewild, with Aereogramme supporting
  • Therapy? with Clutch (!) supporting
  • Three Colours Red (twice)
  • Wildhearts
  • Presidents of the United States of America
  • Various Fudge Awards
  • Part Chimp with PVH
  • Last month's Adventures Close to Home
  • Symposium and A

EDIT: How could I forget Macrocosmica on that indie/funk bill!?!?!?

crowdsurfing 4 times at the symposium gig before being told off for being too big. spoilsports! symposium tearing a big hole in the roof that night was pretty funny as well.

various idlewild gigs were amazing.

juice.

the glory days of fudge.

bonnie prince billy.

playing there with dedalus and kartta. everytime a pleasure.

alasdair roberts set as part of rootin aboot a couple of years ago. total brilliance from start to finish.

phil kay calling my fiance a bar fairy as she stupidly got up and literally skipped to the toilet during his set.

ed byrne making me laugh harder than anyone else, ever.

Idlewild

Kelly Joe Phelps (twice)

Bonny Prince Billy

Alasdair Roberts (all the folkies from rootin aboot walking out halfway through was magic)

Wildhearts

All the fudge nights

Ed Byrne

Phil Kay's endurance set (the man wouldn't stop)

Biffy and Eska

A particularly good Hogmany a few years ago

Guest idol_wild

Mogwai

Nero

The "A" Team tour, with Angelica, Astrid, and Ariel. Only because I fancied all of Angelica and heckled Astrid relentlessly.

Idlewild

Akron/Family

The Twilight Sad and Frightened Rabbit

The lowest point: The Complete Stone Roses back in 2001, roughly. They were from Norwich yet still spoke in Manc accents and tried to swagger like their idols. I wanted to fight them.

The world seems a little less funny after watching Alan Davidson kicking a monitor off of the Lemon Tree stage.

One of my 2 'rock' moments!

Gigs which particularly stand out, on first thought..

All the Julian Cope ones,

the Roy Harper ones,

Low

Pentangle

all the Love ones

Bonnie Prince Billy

Lambchop

Gong

Link Wray

but the 2 which I most enjoyed were probably the Ivor Cutler tribute night and Townes Van Zandt.

One which I'll never forget (for all the wrong reasons) was Davy Graham!

Over the past three years some of the best gigs I've ever been to have been at the Lemon Tree:

Bonnie Prince Billy

Boredoms

Alasdair Roberts and Mary Hampton this year

The Arab Strap Triptych show a couple of years ago with Tape, My Latest Novel and Kieran Hebden

One that particularly stands out was the amazing (though quite poorly attended) show with Maher Shalal Hash Baz, Bills Wells, Tenniscoats, Kama Aina. I went along not knowing what to expect but it was one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen.

One that particularly stands out was the amazing (though quite poorly attended) show with Maher Shalal Hash Baz, Bills Wells, Tenniscoats, Kama Aina. I went along not knowing what to expect but it was one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen.

That was an amazing evening, i'm sure Nikaidoh Kazumi played that night as well

LOADS of great gigs i've been to at the 'tree over the years. In no particular order:

Idlewild

Biffy Clyro

Therapy

Three Colours Red

Finch

Frank Black

Big Country

Wannadies

Silver Sun

Funeral for a Friend

Presidents of the USA

Bullyrag

One Minute Silence

Wildhearts

Dust Junkys

And hunners more....

Used to enjoy going to Juice and all the local gigs there too.

senser then credit to the nation the following night (supported by new kingdom / collapsed lung)

fugazi

clutch (therapy support)

GYBE!

Pan Sonic & Liars (Nova night in the triptych)

Low

James Yorkston

New Flesh (for Old...at the time)

Doric Elvis (new year)

all the maple gigs there....

plenty more...but the best was probably when I went on my first "date" with my now wife. (awwww)

Peering through the window of the Lemon Tree and watching Therapy soundcheck. When they saw me, they ripped into a cover of Master of Puppets because I was wearing a Metallica top. What a fanboy.

Paradise Lost. Surreal seeing them play in from of around 200 people when I saw them before at Donington.

Clutch.

Ivor Cutler tribute night.

Funeral for a Friend - it was probably pants but it was my first gig except for big'uns, so I was too busy taking things in to pay attention to the music..

The Grim Northern Social, Nov 11th 2003 - the start of a long obsession...

Focus gig there was really cool too.

[edit: Yes, I remember it still - heading outside with my friend and spotting Thijs van Leer near the ticket office - I froze... I stared at him. He stared at me. I stared at him. Then my adrenaline arrived, I ran away with a mumble/hiss of "That's him!"]

One of the best gigs of my life, my then-favourite band Terrorvision at the Lemon Tree in 2000, spent the entire gig in the centre of the front row bouncing and cheering, then hung about afterwards and had a pint and a natter with Tony, Shutty, and Josephine. On the way out, pilfered a signed drumskin that someone had carelessly left sitting on a table, that went straight up my jumper. I've still got it somewhere.... great band, great night.

Other good nights: first time i saw Zombina & The Skeletones, 2005, been in love with them ever since.

Seeing Rich Hall as Otis Lee Crenshaw, absolutely brilliant.

Reginald D Hunter, they don't come much funnier than him.

Dick Dale (at lunchtime, when Pulp Fiction was released), Transglobal Underground, Senser, Rocket from the Crypt, Man or Astroman, Frank Black & the Catholics, Radiohead, Cable, Sensless Things, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, 80s Matchbox B-line disaster,the first Delgados gig with AC acoustics. Bill Bailey, Phil Jupitus. I'll think of more

Adam Hills was amazing, not least because he invited the audience to dance to Devendra Banhart at the end of his set. I remember bombing down to the bar from the cloakroom and dancing like a loon.

Presidents of the United States were lovely guys, as was Adam Hills actually. One of my favourite parts of a night was hanging around the bar after a gig or comedy set and chatting to the folk who'd been on stage.

The panto last christmas, Big Mama Juke and The Lightning Adventures of Neon, was amazing.

Walking into work the morning after a Karloff gig and having to scrub fake blood off the tables (not to mention the looks of the lunch time customers as we tried to explain the 'blood' on the ceiling).

Meeting some of my best friends and my now ex boyfriend, I'd be lost without them all.

The Undertones playing the time before last, when Teenage Kicks came on the barstaff went crazy, dancing around and the punters seemed more entertained watching us rather than the band.

King Creosote's last head lining gig and hearing 200 odd people singing 'Not One Bit Ashamed' which gave me chills.

The second chef and desert chef coming out of the kitchen fighting with light sabers while the Imperial March played in the cafe.

Corb Lund last year.

Fudge Nights!

A comedienne's (who's name I forget) show called Watching the Detectives and getting overly excited when she started talking about Monk.

Gigs including Otis Lee Crenshaw, The Kills, Toots and The Maytals, The Research, Aberfeldy, Boy Lacks Patience, Johnny Cash Night and Elvisness.

Just the atmosphere as a place to work.

And Marj of course :)