aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree No More???

StewCat

They should have got the 'lorelei' to play the opening weekend...

nothing says 'lemon tree's heyday' than one of the top bands from that time...

plus they are a local band, relevant to the scene and the past few times they played the lemon tree (during the 'return of the lorelei') the place was packed and the atmosphere was exactly the same as it used to be...

but shooglenifty?!?!? really?....

shooglenifty will probably pull in the folk crowd plus some people from out of town, they're pretty popular with the teuchters :)

They do stir up a good atmosphere live though, so it will probably be a good gig. The inclusion of Craig Hill makes me want to stab my eyes though. I HATE that guy.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also available at Aberdeen - Find Theatre tickets, dates and venues schedules but that just links you through to the box office website.

It's good to have them all in one place so you can purchase tickets for numerous venues at once if you wished to do so. The calendar on the specific venues page will show you the forthcoming events for that venues. If you wanted to see what is on at all venues on a specific date then you can do so through the main box office page.

Agreed, there's nothing on that I'm even remotely interested in seeing, it's just same old, same old. The much-heralded second coming of the Lemon Tree looks like a big fucking anti-climax in my opinion.

Maybe you just need to give them time. Nobody promised an all new and improved version immediately. As far as I can gather, the priority was just to get the place up and running again as soon as possible and take it from there. It takes a long time to build an ongoing programme and they were basically starting from scratch. Hopefully things will keep getting better as they go on.

• 4 weeks later...

what i dont get is the lemon tree went under ( this is just my point of view by no means a informed one ) cos it was putting on too much wankie highbrow stuff no one went too

so with the lemon tree reopening and it being now ran by Upcoming Events - Aberdeen International Youth Festival's Social Network if i look at their line up for the next while its all more of the same

am i wrong? if so please point out my failing cos all i can see is maybe one gig with The Chair, Edgar Prais & The Condiments

im all for a bit of culture but give us some thing to lure me in with

im not just moaning about the lack of bands playing but in general theres nothing for your common music fan here i wont entertained for my hard earned for instance in the edinburgh festival for the past 3 years josie long has any one seen hide or hair of her in aberdeen

no

shes been nominated for a few awards and lives in the uk so wouldnt be too expensive to get up but has any one done it no

when the lemon tree put on rich hall it was sold out so why not get more acts that will sell

surely that way they can then make money and put on their high brow stuff

like on the music halls website for the lemon tree they say they have danny bhoy on the 29th and pretty much bugger else comedy wise

its not like we dont have people here who dont know their elbows from their asses like we have giles walker, tez and interesting music promotion for starts

like giles put on hudson mohawk and i salut him for it now get rustie up and if you give me the heads up for more good music il even consider buying you a pint

tez knows whats hot

interesting music are getting great stuff up like the pictish trail supporting king creosote and de rosa

it just seems a waste of a great venue for it to go down the same route it did before

"im mad as hell, and im not going to take this any more!"

brine

Agreed, there's nothing on that I'm even remotely interested in seeing, it's just same old, same old. The much-heralded second coming of the Lemon Tree looks like a big fucking anti-climax in my opinion.

ahmen, ahmen ahhhhhmen ahmen ahmen

brine digs out dj shitmats - Killababylonkutz and dances round the room

it being now ran by Upcoming Events - Aberdeen International Youth Festival's Social Network if i look at their line up for the next while its all more of the same

am i wrong? if so please point out my failing cos all i can see is maybe one gig with The Chair, Edgar Prais & The Condiments

Hi.

Aberdeen International Youth Festival have not taken over the Lemon Tree, we are hiring the venue for two weeks so we can put on music, dance and theatre during the Festival.

There will be lunchtime gigs, as well as Later.. at the Lemon Tree every night (31st July - 9 August) and our programme of new youth theatre and dance upstairs. The full line up is not yet confirmed, but will include:

Thursday 31 July

Egdar Prais, The Chair, The Condiments

Friday 1 August

The Fortunate Sons , Fuse[d]

Saturday 2 August

Jamie Safiruddin Quartet, Amplifico

Sunday 3 August

Kukadan, Joel Sebunjo, NK, Flava

Tuesday 5 August

X Certs, Onion Terror, Dan Against the World

Wednesday 6 August

Qristina and Quinn Bachand, The Hijacks, Static in the City, Copy Haho

Thursday 7 August

Sorren Maclean Band

Cast of the Capital

Friday 8 August

The Little Kicks, Right Hand Left, Headlight , Toy

Saturday 9 August

Dot J, Sunrise not Secular, Action Group

Plus:

(dates to be confirmed)

The Elizabeths

The Marionettes

Yall is Fantasy Island

The programme has been put together with Foyer Music and Vocoustics and is something we would like to continue to develop in the future. I think we are bringing a really interesting and diverse range of music to the Lemon Tree. If you have comments or ideas for future programming by AIYF please let us know by emailing info@aiyf.org or on the forum on our website (www.aiyf.org)

When I have full listing I will post them here.

what i dont get is the lemon tree went under ( this is just my point of view by no means a informed one ) cos it was putting on too much wankie highbrow stuff no one went too

so with the lemon tree reopening and it being now ran by Upcoming Events - Aberdeen International Youth Festival's Social Network if i look at their line up for the next while its all more of the same

im all for a bit of culture but give us some thing to lure me in with

im not just moaning about the lack of bands playing but in general theres nothing for your common music fan here i wont entertained for my hard earned for instance in the edinburgh festival for the past 3 years josie long has any one seen hide or hair of her in aberdeen

no

shes been nominated for a few awards and lives in the uk so wouldnt be too expensive to get up but has any one done it no

when the lemon tree put on rich hall it was sold out so why not get more acts that will sell

surely that way they can then make money and put on their high brow stuff

like on the music halls website for the lemon tree they say they have danny bhoy on the 29th and pretty much bugger else comedy wise

its not like we dont have people here who dont know their elbows from their asses like we have giles walker, tez and interesting music promotion for starts

like giles put on hudson mohawk and i salut him for it now get rustie up and if you give me the heads up for more good music il even consider buying you a pint

tez knows whats hot

interesting music are getting great stuff up like the pictish trail supporting king creosote and de rosa

it just seems a waste of a great venue for it to go down the same route it did before

"im mad as hell, and im not going to take this any more!"

brine

Well, as far as I'm aware they haven't appointed a full-time music programmer yet.

When that happens, no doubt things will pick up. They just wanted to get it up and running for now...

Calm yer jets min :gringo:

em, no. the condiments have split up. quite a while ago.

or they better have, cos the guitarist is now in my band and we have a show the same day

Edgar Prais aren't playing either according to their post on the gigs forum, the AIYF should probably stop mentoning this line up.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/50471-later-lemon-tree.html

what a shame that whenever someone tries to do something interesting in aberdeen it is met with such negativity. really makes you wonder why anyone bothers.

That's such a blanket, non-entity of a statement. I think what people are driving it is that the venue went under in the first place for a reason and now that it's re-opened it just seems to be treading the same ground again. Most people are just skeptical about the whole thing, myself included. I don't think anyone wants to close it again.

That's such a blanket, non-entity of a statement. I think what people are driving it is that the venue went under in the first place for a reason and now that it's re-opened it just seems to be treading the same ground again. Most people are just skeptical about the whole thing, myself included. I don't think anyone wants to close it again.

I suspect part of the problem lay lie in what the backers want to see.

In my opinion, the most sensible thing to do would be to integrate the Arts Centre with the Lemon Tree - keep the Lemon Tree for popular culture, and then use the Arts Centre for the 'highbrow' stuff that doesn't attract much of an audience. That gets the Lemon Tree on a sound financial platform, and then the profits can be used to subsidise other areas of the arts. You could then gain by using the Lemon Tree for things that couldn't be accomodated in the Arts Centre - and likewise, more marginal things could then be put in the Arts Centre. People would get used to the idea of both facilities as being 'one' -

Unfortunately, politics and funding arrangements will probably stop a sensible idea like that.

The other question : now that Moshulu's owned by Barfly (and thus part of a pretty big empire)....will they tolerate state funded competition? Keeping to a programme of highbrow arts with the occasional commercial thing keeps them safe - but running busy gigs 3/4 nights of the week might not.

IIn my opinion, the most sensible thing to do would be to integrate the Arts Centre with the Lemon Tree - keep the Lemon Tree for popular culture, and then use the Arts Centre for the 'highbrow' stuff that doesn't attract much of an audience. That gets the Lemon Tree on a sound financial platform, and then the profits can be used to subsidise other areas of the arts. You could then gain by using the Lemon Tree for things that couldn't be accomodated in the Arts Centre - and likewise, more marginal things could then be put in the Arts Centre. People would get used to the idea of both facilities as being 'one' -

I could be completely wrong in this, but I didn't think the Arts Centre was anything to do with the council anymore? Not sure what the exact set up is, some sort of trust perhaps. It's certainly not Aberdeen Performing Arts.

The other question : now that Moshulu's owned by Barfly (and thus part of a pretty big empire)....will they tolerate state funded competition?

Tolerate? What are they going to do?