aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree No More???

StewCat

What would you expect in the future for events to "actually get promoted" ?

I think this ground has been covered in the thread already, but basically a lot of people feel the Lemon Tree didn't promote gigs outside of its own foyer. Which is true. So even getting some posters out and about in town would be a refreshing idea.

I think this ground has been covered in the thread already, but basically a lot of people feel the Lemon Tree didn't promote gigs outside of its own foyer. Which is true. So even getting some posters out and about in town would be a refreshing idea.

How many brochures made their way around town and directly into peoples homes? Mind you they may have made a fatal error when they stopped sending them for free!

their problem was they obviously never cleansed their database, which meant that 40% of magazines were going to wrong addresses etc how many did they actually send out?? as far as i was aware you got added to the database when you bought tickets for a gig, so id hazard a guess at 25,000 to 50,000 people recieved those magazines

The cost of producing 50,000 magazines coupled with postage costs and wrapping em in plastic (and sticking a printed bloody label & postmark onto it)

50,000 mags at roughly 2.00 to produce (given the materials, the number, stapling, folding and other finishing required) then adding 12,500 of postage (with the mail sort discount) + at LEAST 3,000 on plastic wrapping and label printing, then paying a fulfilment team to place the extra flyers and the booklet into the plastic wallet)

I can see exactly why they stopped doing it after a while. If i was looking at my monthly expenditure and I was in trouble it would unfortunately be one of the first things to be cut back/streamlined

their problem was they obviously never cleansed their database, which meant that 40% of magazines were going to wrong addresses etc how many did they actually send out?? as far as i was aware you got added to the database when you bought tickets for a gig, so id hazard a guess at 25,000 to 50,000 people recieved those magazines

The cost of producing 50,000 magazines coupled with postage costs and wrapping em in plastic (and sticking a printed bloody label & postmark onto it)

50,000 mags at roughly 2.00 to produce (given the materials, the number, stapling, folding and other finishing required) then adding 12,500 of postage (with the mail sort discount) + at LEAST 3,000 on plastic wrapping and label printing, then paying a fulfilment team to place the extra flyers and the booklet into the plastic wallet)

I can see exactly why they stopped doing it after a while. If i was looking at my monthly expenditure and I was in trouble it would unfortunately be one of the first things to be cut back/streamlined

True. But as soon as it happened, nobody had any clue about what gigs were going on there.

Maybe in this day and age they could set up an "ebrochure"? I wouldn't want emails announcing every gig, but something similar to the old brochure dropping into my inbox once a month would be great, and would cost pennies.

They did send out a kind of e-mail brochure too. I wouldn't object to a really cheaply done pamphlet (A4 sheet folded?) so that production would be in the pennies rather than pounds. The postage would still be expensive though. I was one of the bad people who were too mean to subscribe to it latterly, so I shouldn't moan, I suppose.

They did send out a kind of e-mail brochure too. I wouldn't object to a really cheaply done pamphlet (A4 sheet folded?) so that production would be in the pennies rather than pounds. The postage would still be expensive though. I was one of the bad people who were too mean to subscribe to it latterly, so I shouldn't moan, I suppose.

Well I didn't get it, probably my own fault for not subscribing. Now that everyone knows that the Lemon Tree went tits up, one of the first things the new regime should do is encourage people to register for the ebrochure.

ie everyone who signed up to the petition with their email address would be a good start and im sure the data would be available by those who have it

True, but I get the feeling that the people who organised the petition are mainly the staff who used to work there. They are probably the ones who feel "stiched up" as per the Evening Express article above and will probably be hoping that the Aberdeen Performing Arts venture dies on its arse so they can turn round and say "You should have stuck with us."

Probably. :)

True, but I get the feeling that the people who organised the petition are mainly the staff who used to work there. They are probably the ones who feel "stiched up" as per the Evening Express article above and will probably be hoping that the Aberdeen Performing Arts venture dies on its arse so they can turn round and say "You should have stuck with us."

Probably. :)

I didnt read that article actually. still, stitch up or not, doesnt make any difference. the place will benefit from a new approach. good luck to all involved and I hope that they will continue some of the good work that Isla had started (i.e. working with good local promoters like IMP)

How many brochures made their way around town and directly into peoples homes? Mind you they may have made a fatal error when they stopped sending them for free!

Haha true enough!

Flyers or something equally less expensive would have done the job. I liked their shiny booklet, but must you can't expect people to stump up for it!

Guest bluesxman

I declined to pay for the booklets mainly because the same information was generally available via the web site, albeit in a slightly less easy to find form. The weekly e-mail was adequate as well. Got a few free tickets out of responding to that! Th Legendary Shack Shakers being probably the best score.

I declined to pay for the booklets mainly because the same information was generally available via the web site, albeit in a slightly less easy to find form. The weekly e-mail was adequate as well. Got a few free tickets out of responding to that! Th Legendary Shack Shakers being probably the best score.

I drove them to Moshulu that night. They were staying at the same hotel I mentioned above. They came back after the LT gig, got showered, changed, had a drink etc. then asked how to get to Moshulu cos they had been invited there by someone at the Lemon Tree. I pointed out that it was 2.30 and there wasn't much point in going as they probably wouldn't get in and it was going to be shut in half an hour but they insisted they'd get in, so I drove them there from Bridge of Don. They got to Moshulu at 2.45. Dunno if they got in, I drove off before they reached the door.

Those two.

I like seeing things look clean.

...someone else can do the other nasty bits, but, I'll quite happily clean the floors.

So does this extend to other floors too? I've got a fine array of mops and a lot of floor, so next time you feel the mop-bug coming on, just drop me a PM. Hell, I'd even let you keep a mop for your personal collection.