aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree No More???

StewCat

This thread is giving me the warm and fuzzies :)

As I've said before, I know a lot of people on Ab-Mus complain that there weren't enough gigs they wanted to go to, but I lost count of the nights I wandered up to work expected a nice quiet Tuesday night blues gig and ended up run off my feet. There are other age groups and musical genres than the 16-25 rock kids :p

The effort that the (former) staff have put in should be held up as an example to us all, it's been truly inspiring and heartwarming, even after the soggy shambles of last saturday :) Even though there is in reality little that can be done to return the Lemon Tree to it's former glory, those guys just keep fighting. My hat is off to you all, damn fine work.

What's going on with the theatre groups (va-va voom, 50+ plus crowd and so on)? Are they involved in stuff? I'm sure they'd love to get stuck in.

I read that taxi drivers call that 'Tillydrone West'

I HEARD AT THE WEEKEND FROM A PRETTY RELIABLE SOURCE THAT THE KITCHEN FLOOR OF ONE OF THESE FLATS FELL THROUGH...bollocks caps on...when the owners were having a party...there was 16 people in the kitchen...SAFE!

250k well spent...

The person who told me's friend bought one to rent but he cant rent it out nor sell it...NiGhTmArE...

I HEARD AT THE WEEKEND FROM A PRETTY RELIABLE SOURCE THAT THE KITCHEN FLOOR OF ONE OF THESE FLATS FELL THROUGH...bollocks caps on...when the owners were having a party...there was 16 people in the kitchen...SAFE!

250k well spent...

The person who told me's friend bought one to rent but he cant rent it out nor sell it...NiGhTmArE...

That urban legend has been on the go for years and is rehashed for every new flat development...

I read that taxi drivers call that 'Tillydrone West'
That urban legend has been on the go for years and is rehashed for every new flat development...

I just searched it on the net an couldnt come up with anything bar there was a report that the floors were not strong enough...

Thinking about it now...if somethin like that did happen...surley we would of heard about it...

8-)

Save The Lemon Tree Campaign Statement

On Tuesday 4th December the decision was taken to put the Lemon Tree into voluntary liquidation and the venue closed on that day. Immediately the Save The Lemon Tree campaign was formed and a target was set for fundraising to save one of the most important arts venues in Aberdeen.

We've had tremendous support from the people of Aberdeen and have received many individual donations for which we are extremely grateful. However, we've fallen a long way short of 150,000. On Friday 21st December the interim liquidator will have a meeting with the company's creditors and the process will be in the legal system. It is clear to us that the company cannot be saved.

But the veune, the former St Katherine's Centre must continue as an arts venue serving the people of Aberdeen. Since 1992 it has provided the only mid-range theatre facilities in the city, a premier music venue and a range of community and outreach work that has been of benefit to communities throughtout Aberdeen.

The focus of our campaign will now change; firstly, we'll lobby the city council to ensure that the building remains devoted to the arts; secondly, that the good work of the Lemon Tree Aberdeen Ltd continues - the youth music projects and community development, working with the older people's groups, adults with learning difficulties and physical disabilities, bringing innovative theatre, dance and kids shows to Aberdeen as well as the music! We believe that a new organisation should be created to continue that work and we will meet with Aberdeen City Council, Scottish Arts Council and others involved with the arts in the city with a view to establishing that organisation.

Thank you all again for your messages of support over the past two weeks, it underlines for us the need to save The Lemon Tree as an arts venue.

Anyone wishing to support this should email us. All monies donated have been deposited in a bank account and will be used to establish the new organisation to allow the vital work of The Lemon Tree to continue. We have the support of our local politicians; Frank Doran, Anne Begg, Lewis MacDonald and Richard Baker in this.

Any donors who don't support these objectives are invited to contact us by email through the website, and request a refund of their donation before Monday 31st December 2007.

email us at: info@savethelemontree.org

The focus of our campaign will now change; firstly, we'll lobby the city council to ensure that the building remains devoted to the arts; secondly, that the good work of the Lemon Tree Aberdeen Ltd continues

It won't be called The Lemon Tree Ltd anymore will it? Doesn't liquidation mean the change of name too?

I may be speaking shite as I'm not very knowledgeable on that sort of thing, but was just reminded of football teams going into liquidation and having to change their names.

Save The Lemon Tree Campaign Statement

On Tuesday 4th December the decision was taken to put the Lemon Tree into voluntary liquidation and the venue closed on that day. Immediately the Save The Lemon Tree campaign was formed and a target was set for fundraising to save one of the most important arts venues in Aberdeen.

We've had tremendous support from the people of Aberdeen and have received many individual donations for which we are extremely grateful. However, we've fallen a long way short of 150,000. On Friday 21st December the interim liquidator will have a meeting with the company's creditors and the process will be in the legal system. It is clear to us that the company cannot be saved.

But the veune, the former St Katherine's Centre must continue as an arts venue serving the people of Aberdeen. Since 1992 it has provided the only mid-range theatre facilities in the city, a premier music venue and a range of community and outreach work that has been of benefit to communities throughtout Aberdeen.

The focus of our campaign will now change; firstly, we'll lobby the city council to ensure that the building remains devoted to the arts; secondly, that the good work of the Lemon Tree Aberdeen Ltd continues - the youth music projects and community development, working with the older people's groups, adults with learning difficulties and physical disabilities, bringing innovative theatre, dance and kids shows to Aberdeen as well as the music! We believe that a new organisation should be created to continue that work and we will meet with Aberdeen City Council, Scottish Arts Council and others involved with the arts in the city with a view to establishing that organisation.

Thank you all again for your messages of support over the past two weeks, it underlines for us the need to save The Lemon Tree as an arts venue.

Anyone wishing to support this should email us. All monies donated have been deposited in a bank account and will be used to establish the new organisation to allow the vital work of The Lemon Tree to continue. We have the support of our local politicians; Frank Doran, Anne Begg, Lewis MacDonald and Richard Baker in this.

Any donors who don't support these objectives are invited to contact us by email through the website, and request a refund of their donation before Monday 31st December 2007.

email us at: info@savethelemontree.org

that's more like it. i think that's a much better plan than the ill-fated attempt to save the venue. split the community work from the venue and it should give more focus and allow for a venue to operate more commercially. it's a shame that the lemon tree has gone but get something positive out of it!

it'd be great to have an organisation devoted to community art and not tied to a venue. it would free you up to do shows and performances anywhere, even on the streets!

It won't be called The Lemon Tree Ltd anymore will it? Doesn't liquidation mean the change of name too?

I may be speaking shite as I'm not very knowledgeable on that sort of thing, but was just reminded of football teams going into liquidation and having to change their names.

You are correct... Lemon Tree Ltd will cease to exist and we will only be able to visit the place at the Railway Station.

• 3 weeks later...

The place was mismanaged to the hilt. None of them had any experience in the actual real world music and arts industry.

300K per year in grants, charity status + being an LTD private company and yet they still went under.

Look no further than the staff who did everything they could to protect their cushy jobs. But oh, ask them to have vision. Not a chance.