aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree No More???

StewCat

Shame. Been to some great nights there over the years, but less often recently. Looked like the music booking was getting better during the last few months but obviously not enough to save it.

Hope someone picks up the Adventures Close To Home night for later this month. Or at least gives the Needles another gig somewhere for a proper send off!

Here is a run down of what i paid for my night at Lemon Tree...with 'local' nights like this i feel that the statement in the paper was a bit of a dissapointment...

1000 for hire = VAT 1175

Just before the gig i found out that this price did not include the lightin technician OR the drum kit...SHOCKING!!!

I had been led to belive that the Lemon Tree would supply some crates of beers for the guys upstairs but i ended up doing that too...

I got a settlement cheque through last week actually (i was meant to get it within 14 days) for 44...thats how much i made...bearing in mind the bands didnt get paid either...

The Lemon Tree made all of the above plus however much was made from the 300 people drinking at the bar AND they added 2.50 onto the ticket prices at the door so people were paying 7.50 instead of a fiver...

I said to them please take the price down to a fiver but still take your 2.50 but nope...

Peacock Visual Arts does do music...

It HAS to reopen under private ownership...

Austin i also have a fiver!

8-)

they shouldn't have had to bail them out. to be honest if it was running at a loss year and year out then it had to close. the council can't bail it out every couple of years. i can't see it reopening and being the same. if someone does take it over then they won't be able to have a similar range of acts playing and they'll have to run some more commercial nights.

I hope someone steps in and takes over the venue (and does not turn it into another crappy club) and continues the music/arts side.

I just realised... This might partly be because of the new arts centre on Union Terrace? Will that have a music and theatre section?

Couple of things. Nothing to do with the new arts centre, I will suggest, although there are other better clued up than me to supply info. The money the council are providing for the new centre is in the form of a loan, albeit a very favourable one. There will be a theatre and music space in the new building but nothing on the scale of the Lemon Tree. The timing is probably bad for Peacock publicity though. As conspiracy theorists are not know for seeing the facts.

Apparently the council did offer support through a loan and some other such method (read this in the press) but the directors decided to call it a day as there probably seemed no reasonable argument that will have meant that the LT will be in any fit shape to pay the creditors and debts any time soon. Legally they had to close.

I am also at odds with the 'great venue' angle. It had many plus points but the main live room in itself was a bit of a crap spac and too much of a community centre, for my liking. Many fond memories of playing there and seeing gigs. Shame.

That said it is a massive loss to Aberdeen but the council still have a mid sized music venue, 700-800 capacity, on their cultural agenda. Just need to open one that makes money...

Jim

Guest idol_wild

I'm not massively surprised the Lemon Tree was losing money. The way they promoted some of their own shows was pitiful. I normally only saw posters for the shows inside their own venue! Which seems odd to me.

Secondly, not enough of the gigs were actually very busy. The busiest show I've seen there this year is undoubtedly the Boredoms, and that was thanks to IMPs aggressive promotion and word of mouth approach.

That said, I've had some good nights there over the years.

I'm not massively surprised the Lemon Tree was losing money. The way they promoted some of their own shows was pitiful. I normally only saw posters for the shows inside their own venue! Which seems odd to me.

Secondly, not enough of the gigs were actually very busy. The busiest show I've seen there this year is undoubtedly the Boredoms, and that was thanks to IMPs aggressive promotion and word of mouth approach.

That said, I've had some good nights there over the years.

I agree - disappointing, but not that surprising. I've been to a lot of gigs in the past few years with piss-poor turnout. Last year I saw the Hazey Janes, and there were literally about 8 people there. I was embarassed for them.

It's definetely true the venue didn't advertise its own shows enough. And I wasn't a fan of the tribute act drive, I think that's probabaly backfired big time.

All the same, it was a great venue to see gigs and to play, and it'll be sorely missed.

heard about this yesterday,

unfortunately it was going to happen someday, shame it has happened so soon

lots of people will be out of a job. seen some good gigs there over the years.

as for gemz fae merkin music whinging about the place, you are a complete mug for paying that kind of money and it would appear that you were totally naieve in your approach in dealing with a professional venue.

I'm hoping that someone takes it over and gets it running "properly" again?

it can't just sit empty for the rest if it's days...

Sad indeed...Maple had some fantastic gigs there.

The single launch (with "God's Army" coming on at the end) was a particular fave. Hair samples and all.

Oh you're all gutted now, but a few months ago everyone was happy to slag it off non stop. Turns out (as my favourite Tree techie would say) a music venue needs more support than that to stay open. Everyone knew the venue was there, it's your fault if you didn't make the effort to find out what was playing. And let's be honest, The Lemon Tree didn't put on as many tribute acts as all that, Drummonds put on a fair few themselves and no one ever hauls them up about it.

I'll fight in the Lemon Tree's corner til the bitter end (and it seems this is it). I worked there for 3 years and had an awesome time, met some very talented people and some of my best friends. If nothing else it taught me not to be such a muso snob and to actually take a chance on random gigs because the majority of the time you'll be pleasently surprised.

Oh you're all gutted now, but a few months ago everyone was happy to slag it off non stop. Turns out (as my favourite Tree techie would say) a music venue needs more support than that to stay open.

so are you saying that the people who were "slagging it off" are partly responsible for its closure?

It's a damn shame all this but hardly a surprise. Only a couple of months ago I finally got The Lemon Tree to pay their outstanding sponsorship money to this web site (which was 6 months overdue at the time) but it took threatening them with calling in the debt collectors to pay up. I suspect I'm not alone with encountering this kind of problem with them.

If you can't balance your books then it doesn't matter what shows and events you put on. You're going to go out of business sooner or later.

I remember when all the bigger bands that came to Aberdeen played the Lemon Tree instead of the likes of the music hall. But now bands tend to opt for The Tunnels and Moshulu. For the past few years they'd only have one or two things I'd be interested in seeing.

Highlights for me were; seeing my first ever gig in Aberdeen watching Areial supporting Snowpatrol in sept 2000, Oceansize, Biffy Clyro and The Cooper Temple Clause on the same bill, weeping at "I See A Darkness" by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, seeing Kelly Joe Phelps with a full band. (sniff sniff)

Lowlights; Blowing all my cash on a Damian Rice Album on import in virgin for 15 resulting in me missing him at the Lemon Tree that week back in 2002. Getting into Sigur-Ros AND Godspeed You! Black Emperor literally the day after they play together at the Lemon Tree. ARGH!

Oh you're all gutted now, but a few months ago everyone was happy to slag it off non stop. Turns out (as my favourite Tree techie would say) a music venue needs more support than that to stay open. Everyone knew the venue was there, it's your fault if you didn't make the effort to find out what was playing. And let's be honest, The Lemon Tree didn't put on as many tribute acts as all that, Drummonds put on a fair few themselves and no one ever hauls them up about it.

I'll fight in the Lemon Tree's corner til the bitter end (and it seems this is it). I worked there for 3 years and had an awesome time, met some very talented people and some of my best friends. If nothing else it taught me not to be such a muso snob and to actually take a chance on random gigs because the majority of the time you'll be pleasently surprised.

The majority of people complained how it wasn't living up to it's potential. I personally didn't get go to a lot because of not knowing what was on. I used to get the whats on guide sent to me each month(or quarter?) but it stopped about a year or so ago. I used to count on that for knowing what was on at the Lemon tree and what the said act was like.

I'd appreciate if you didn't categorise everyone in the entire thread into one Anti-Lemon Tree group. I've never "slagged off" the venue.

I've been to loads of gigs there for the past 5 years, I've played there and I've always said it was probably my favourite place to play in the whole city. That said, it had faults. Of course it had faults. That's why it's shut.

No way. That is a shame, Its not just a band venue we're losing, its the comedy venue, the good kids shows and a pretty decent lunch on a saturday.

I agree that the council shouldnt have to keep bailing them out but at least those of you who live in the city know your money was helping fund a decent venue. Those of us from the Shire have joy of bailing out Archaeolink all the time ! (moan over!)

Here is a run down of what i paid for my night at Lemon Tree...with 'local' nights like this i feel that the statement in the paper was a bit of a dissapointment...

1000 for hire = VAT 1175

Just before the gig i found out that this price did not include the lightin technician OR the drum kit...SHOCKING!!!

I had been led to belive that the Lemon Tree would supply some crates of beers for the guys upstairs but i ended up doing that too...

I got a settlement cheque through last week actually (i was meant to get it within 14 days) for 44...thats how much i made...bearing in mind the bands didnt get paid either...

The Lemon Tree made all of the above plus however much was made from the 300 people drinking at the bar AND they added 2.50 onto the ticket prices at the door so people were paying 7.50 instead of a fiver...

I said to them please take the price down to a fiver but still take your 2.50 but nope...

Peacock Visual Arts does do music...

It HAS to reopen under private ownership...

Austin i also have a fiver!

8-)

As good an advert as any to get a contract in writing before any money is handed over?

"Led to believe" and "just before the gig" ain't good enough, even if you assume the venue would be trustworthy.

Anyway, the Lemon Tree took it's own path. It was the best venue in Aberdeen by miles in the nineties, attracting loads of great acts and getting them in an intimate venue with rabid fans. Recent years saw the management turn it into a stop on the tribute and nostalgia circuit and no more than a stop gap for acts who wanted to avoid the livelier, trendier Tunnels & Moshulu or weren't big enough for the Music Hall. In addition, the beer was hideously overpriced and some of the ticket prices were beyond steep.

It's harsh, but they deserved what they got through their shite booking and through turning the place into an uninviting dingy dive. What happened to the Juice evenings and Pound Club nights of yesteryear? There was no effort by the management to advertise or try and freshen the place up with a new club night or by getting local acts to play (wow, look what Flash is doing right now and how much interest there's been - It's nae rocket science. Bands need somewhere to play and the Lemon Tree was such a great venue in the past for giving local supports.

What's going to happen to the hallowed amazing sound desk, I wonder?

I would love to see it made into a slick venue that could attract top acts and get some intimate gigs by medium - sized acts back on the go. With cheap booze on offer!

Sad day, but they had it coming.

Total disaSter!

The Lemon Tree was much more than a Venue.

All the youth development work, arts work, local band support, disabled theater groups etc etc all huge loss makers - no much wonder they couldnt balance the books.

The line up for for gigs and events for next year was looking great too due to the efforts of the new booker Isla who had the place on the up.

I could rant on forever about it but I need to shoot off....all in all - Its a massive shame.

As for Adventures Close To Home - We're currently working out our options, hoping to getting our fancy lights back, and will be back for sure.

what a pile of pish.

It's all the punters fault? No mention of the appaling money loss the venus was making then.

and you can hardly run a business by simply existing & then expecting people to find out what you sell - surely that's the marketing departments job.

the difference between the LT & drummonds is that one is an Arts Venue - and you expect to see art there, not karaoke acts.

and it's all very well saying people should attend "random gigs" - but not everyone worked there like you & got discount/freebies for these gigs.

• Upvote 1

here's the official line:

Lemon Tree closes its doors

04/12/07

Aberdeen’s performing arts centre The Lemon Tree has closed.

The board of directors met tonight and decided unanimously that they had no choice but to shut down the venue.

The decision came after a meeting of Aberdeen City Council’s Resources Management Committee this afternoon, at which The Lemon Tree’s financial situation was discussed.

Committee members agreed unanimously that the venue should be offered the chance to take out a loan from the City Council-administered Aberdeen Business Enterprise Scheme (ABES) – or The Lemon Tree could have its overdraft facility underwritten up to a reasonable new limit by the City Council.

Neither option was taken up by The Lemon Tree’s board.

Board members said in a statement: "The board met tonight and agreed unanimously that The Lemon Tree had no alternative but to cease trading with immediate effect. All due legal processes will be followed in proceeding to voluntary liquidation.

"We regret the decision and the impact that there will inevitably be on staff and customers, particularly at this time of year, but we are unable to continue trading when we do not have enough cash to meet our liabilities."

As you may already have heard in the news The Lemon Tree has ceased trading and gone into voluntary liquidation with immediate effect leaving in excess of 50 of us jobless 3 weeks before Christmas.

Its absolutely devastating that it has come to this. For so many of us working at The Lemon Tree was very much more than just a job. We have put our hearts and souls into the place and it was truly heartbreaking and shocking to receive a call last night to say that the doors had closed for the very last time.

The locks on the building have already been changed and staff have been advised to go in at lunchtime today to collect their personal belongings. I'm unsure for how much longer this email address will be active.

For those who have outstanding business with the organisation I'm afraid I have no answers as to what happens from here but I felt the very least I could do was let you know the situation.

Claire