aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree No More???

StewCat

aye i heard this too, apparently the council had one of their routine reviews and decided it was a financial loss, so as of immediately it has been closed.

TBH, I won't personally miss it, I go their two to three times a year at most.

Shame, because its a great venue, just wish it would have done more for more local bands.

TBH, I won't personally miss it, I go their two to three times a year at most.

Shame, because its a great venue, just wish it would have done more for more local bands.

i only went two or three times a year too - and i also agree it could have dont more for local bands but im still really gonna miss it. cracking wee venue.

We were meant to be playing our first gig in the lemon tree this month. gutted.:down:

There was a time when there wasn't a local band worth their salt that hadn't played there. It's been following the nostalgia/tribute band circuit a bit more in recent years, but I was led to understand that was a strategy designed to maximise the venue's earning potential.

Nah, this can't be true, not with the line-up they've got in the coming months.

*bagsies the Needles and the Lorelei gigs*

aye i know, there used to be quite a few local band gigs there, AND local bands got the big support slots but that stopped a few years back, total shame, because it was a great venue, played there a few times myself.

Im pretty sure it is true, but im sure we will find out for definate soon, gutted for all those folk that like nouvelle vague....

If this is actually happening, it's going to be a seismic occurence in Aberdeen, we're already desperately short of decent venues and to lose one of the best is gut-wrenching. I'm actually not joking about the Needles and The Lorelei, I'd put them on in Exodus if needs be, but in the long term the vacuum this is going to create is going to be massive.

Fucking hell, I can't say I was ever the biggest fan of the Lemon Tree, but to lose it is a massive kick in the teeth for Aberdeen. I suppose in a way, this gives Barfly a monopoly now - and that's not a good thing for anyone.

Maybe if an individual or a like-minded group of souls were to put together a package to take over the venue and its commitments immediately, there may be some hope.

Would anyone touch an Aberdeen music venue now, what with two failures this year?

Guest Giles Walker

It's getting worse and worse for nightlife in Aberdeen it seems.

Whos head is next on the chopping block then?

I heard Kef is turning into some kind of restaurant next year, which would leave us with one venue that plays dance music.

Shame about The Lemon tree (if this turns out to be true) it seemed like they were just getting their act together as well.

Guest Bob Double Jack

a shame. "when i were a lad", the lemon tree was the place to play. it will be a sad loss to aberdeen's currently buoyant scene. I will wear a black armband for the rest of the day.

Merkin Music put on a night there in October...

1250 it cost me to hire the place...then they had the cheek to hike 2.50 onto each ticket at the door which they kept to themselves...

Just thought that was a bit of a piss take an i wasnt plannin on using the place again...

Excellent venue though which is a right shame...

8-)

a shame. "when i were a lad", the lemon tree was the place to play. it will be a sad loss to aberdeen's currently buoyant scene. I will wear a black armband for the rest of the day.
aye and "when i were a lad", it was also the place to go to see the current line up of the great aberdeen bands... there was a time where every week there were local gigs on.. and every week a different line up (similar to the fudge thing now i guess but more frequent and not as 'well organised')... but in recent years the local scene took a back seat to a programme that was trying so hard to offer something for everyone that it failed to appeal to anyone...

the lemon tree will be sorely missed.... not to mention the st andrews ale...

Well I'm going to do something I've never done before, i'm complaining to the newspaper and trying to get a few friends to do the same, to say what a loss the Lemon Tree is, see if we can't get the council to rethink.

There's no reason why somewhere like the Lemon Tree can't be profitable given the correct management as far as I can see.

Cheers

Stuart

correct magaement

Thats exactly what it was lackin i think...i just read the paper...they say the high profile gigs were profitable an the local gigs were a loss...

They definatly didnt make a loss on my night...we got ripped off big time...

Deffo has to reopen under new management...would the council sell it? Lets chip in...PLAN!

Gemz

That is bad shit, I have played there four times, (twice with the Fox, once with Optoplan and the first time as Psycho Love Groove supporting some act called Fireball back in '93) and the sound was always good, and the rider was....variable. But it is a big loss, even if they have had too many tribute bands. Saw Dr Alimantado there as well, who even runs the council these days, bassa they are.

Thats exactly what it was lackin i think...i just read the paper...they say the high profile gigs were profitable an the local gigs were a loss...

Deffo has to reopen under new management...would the council sell it? Lets chip in...PLAN!

Gemz

I've got a fiver...

Gemz

I would chip in, but I'm now the best part of a 100 quid out of pocket as I've got pairs of tickets for 3 gigs at the Lemon Tree!!! :down:

Absolutely tragic news. I loved the lemon tree. Without a doubt my favorite venue in Aberdeen. So many good gigs there in the past:

Rocket From the Crypt

Therapy

Backyard Babies

Annie Christian

Bullyrag

Feeder

Ash

Terrorvision

Paradise Lost

Psycore + Will Haven + Tura Satana

Finch

Alabama 3

One Minute Silence

Frank Black

...and many more that escape me at the moment. Admittedly there had been nothing lately, but surely some of that must come from the promoters rather than the venue. A real shame and a bad loss for Aberdeen.

its no suprise to me as the place has been running at a loss for years and the council decided to stop funding it (or didnt have the funds to keep funding it). but it is a massive loss to aberdeen - its probably the most famous music venue in the city and part of the local music culture. i shall miss it enormously.