aberdeen-music

apraxia-demo

Guest stuartmaxwell

Guest stuartmaxwell

ok i lost the tracklisting

cheers to bryn for sending the demo, sorry it took so long to review it

first track

riff reminds me of led zep and then the band kicks in, the sound reminds me of led zep, chillis, audioslave, stereophonics (i.e. vegas two times),

it chugs along pretty slowly, it has a lot of power and would prob be much better live

my gripe is that its a bit samey throughout the whole song and it could do with exploring a little. the vocal is rather out of tune which is very offputting

2nd track

again the song starts with a guitar riff on its own, i think the drumbeat here is inappropriate as it makes a meal of the riff at the end of the bar. it cracks into a breakdown that reminds me of zappa+hex pens, the guitar tone is a bit sickly, a little bit less effect would go a long way, again the vocals are very poor, it comes back in via a dirty riff which is fucking awesome, but soon gets ruined by a cock-rock guitar part that goes funky, the bass riff reminds me of the time, the guitar work is rather good but seems to stick to a scale, the guy should experiment a bit more as he can obviously play

3rd track

again no heavy intro, just guitar and bass, reminds me of red hot chillis crossed with santana (minus the guitar tone), the sound here is nice, the bass is not loud enough and the guitar is too loud as the bass should be the dominant here. vocals are better on here but still rear off into stadium rock pouts. lovely riff comes in at two minutes, jazzy and funky, this is the finest moment on the cd so far, vocal ruins it though

4th track

this band really need to start a song together, it would enhance the songs much more. bass is doing the tricks here, with wah wah guitar. then it cracks into an awesome riff here, think ratm style but with pace-i really love it here. zappa-esque sounding breakdown, its a bit repeptitive and sounds very similar to the 2nd and third tracks. think red hot chillis and black crowes at about 3mins.

5th track

aarrrrghh!please start together, pleeeeeeaase. again the influences on this track are the same as aforementioned. again there is ascending/descending bassline which seems to occupy every song on this demo. this song only lasts two minutes

6th track

drums open this time, reminds me of soul/jazz before cracking into a cool solo with muchos fingertapping. nice!there is stil very much a cock rock (70s edition) here, its very samey as the rest of this demo. the guitar tone on this song is shocking ans sounds like its taken from the radio. breakdown at 2mins, nice guitar line with contradicting bass. its all a bit self-indulgent

[im getting very bored here, this is way too long a demo and i have lost interest by this point]

7th track

nice harmonising between the bass and guitar here, reminds me of aforementioned bands. nice guitar work here. the actual song has no melody though, the riff that follows is dirty and has a certain abruptness about it, i just wish they would experiment in a different style here, there is only so much bassline one man can take.

8th track

zappa, various zzzzzzzzz *sorry*, er yeah we have pretty much the same as the rest of the cd here, i am absolutely bored to death here, this cd is beginning to scare me, as it all sounds completely the same, i dont have a large description for this because its excatly what i have said previous. nice breakdown at 1min 50 though, you know something is coming, but it keeps you waiting, reminds me of red hot chilis and gato barbieri

9th track

cool bass intro here, nice understated guitar, the bass has some melody here and the guitar compliments here then the vocal kicks in, far too loud, this track had a great backing soundwise, reminds me very much of the man who sold the world, well nirvanas take on the bowie original, is it a cover?i dont know, there is some fucking lovely guiatr work here, jazzy and santana like, awesome

this is the best song here

clocking in at 28 mins this is a very long demo,

there are some great moments on this cd, particularly the beefy riff parts and guitar, however i think that it is quite poor to be honest, i find it dull and tiresome. the vocals are poor and the mixing is poor , i get the feeling the live show would put me to sleep

i give this a 4/10

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and waaaaaaaaaaaaay too samey

yep its a long demo but 4/10......i gotta disagree about "i get the feeling the live show would put me to sleep" its a pretty fun frenzy when there playing i found it entertaining after falling asleep to bench even tho there good :D mayb u shud check it out!.....the demo is too long but sum cool tracks make up for i i like songs sly and believe and walk out "there is only so much bassline one man can take" being a bass player myself i dont find this inspiring maybe sumthin like "there is only so much bass lines U can take" yea back to the 4/10 its funk metal i guess....i duno its built up of lots isnt really ur genre rite?

i agree with my band Colleague. the demo is just too long! but sounds just like all this is not ur thang. thankz for the honist feed back. but u say u lik sum bands that repition is part of ther thing....we just carry the same vibe, but we change the sounds and ideas in songs and do it differntly. but yeah - the mix aint good, true. but i am gonna stick up for "APRAXIA"!! thankz for the review, even thought its dump

Played with Apraxia @ the Moorings on Saturday. Got a bit lost in a lot of the songs, but overall, they came across as really cool live. Bassist had a fantastic voice, although it got lost a lot too. About hte samey-ness. I dunno about hte demo, but for their live set, yes they are samey. But only to the point of sticking to the one genre. True, they don't explore much outside what they know, but at least what they're doing is a bit refreshing in itself.

thanks to the dude from the void. watched u guys soundchecking on sat, it was really cool, guitar sounded pretty awesome man! overall sound was great to. u should listen to our mp3's or the demo and tell us what you think, feedback is always cool.

I thought Apraxia rocked. They are no more "samey" than most other bands and atleast they have the benefit of sounding orinigal. I haven't heard the mp3s, but i can only assume that they won't come across as cool as they did live. 'll give them a listen though, and look forward to seeing the band live again. If at all possible, it would also be cool to play another gig with this band.

Originally posted by bryn:

when I think of it i dont see how its too long. Spike piledriver demo has 41 songs. Its a collection of work, if you get bored turn it off no?

To be fair you don't really get the chance to get bored of SPD :laughing:

And again to be fair I'm still waiting for my demo of them from Hog despite seeing them live and being nice to him! :swearing:

Originally posted by The Ghost Of Fudge:

apraxia is a song by everclear. i think.

Hmmm all I hear rumour of is another band called Apraxia who are angry and have done a split with another angry band. Forests are involved somehow but there is so much anger I cannot focus....

There is a band in russia called apraxia.

Wasnt getting on at spike pile driver I think theyre cool, just saying, I cant see how 9 songs is too much.

The whole review is...interesting, he approaches as though it is very professional.

The recording process took one hour, every song was first take with the exception of one song, that took 2, so its a live album. Stuart seems not to grasp the raw 'rock n roll' concept or basic live atmosphere that we wanted to create, saying the vocals are out of tune etc - its a raw recording.

However, our music will appeal to fans of riffs, solos, slap bass, energy, not people who are into ten minute instrumentals i.e eplosions in the sky, so i guess its just not his thing, so its perfectly understandable why he'd get bored, fair enough - difference in opinion / taste

Whats cock rock?

Hmmm, I've seen apraxia play twice now, I thought they were pretty good. Not the best band I've ever seen, but certainly not the worst. They do play some good music, and the on stage energy is pretty intense. However, I completely see the point stuart made about you guys being samey, the songs do sound an awful lot alike, it's like listening to AC/DC except in the whole funk rock genre.

Guest stuartmaxwell

excuse me bryn

i do not listen to one genre of music, i listen to far more than post rock/instrumentals etc and have an interest in the things you mentioned but i prefer them to be imaginative, most of them seemed to be in the same rythmn and similar scales and that is why i got bored

and if its a live album why didnt you say so?you said demo, i reviewed it as a demo

you asked for a cd review, you got one

either accept it or dont

?

What does cock rock mean?

Theres nothing remotely zappaish

Can you not tell its live? Cds SHOULD be made this way. No production tricks, slightly polished yet completely re-creatable.

'similar rythms and scales' - The majority of excellent rock bands / the forefathers of rock stuck to good ol pentatonic blues scale, 4/4 time (which works!). i dont do this, (heard of modes?) but i can see your point here.

Stuart look fair enough you didnt like and I'm trying not be egoistic about my band, you do make some real good points and it is great to hear someones opinion. I noticed though inm another thread you said u hate blues - your never gona like apraxia!

saw apraxia,they were good.betterthan that.

yeah they gotlost and yeah the singer had the ideal voice box but struggled with playing at the samew time.

they looked fairly new so give em more gigs more rehearsal time and theyll be as tight as my ,,,,,,,,,,,,,mother?yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!