aberdeen-music

New tattooists on King Street

Lemonade

i went in to speak to him about a couple and he basically said he wasn't interested in doing me one unless it was big and arty farty. Tried to tell me what i should be wanting lol...nah min, see ye!

Be interesting to see if he still says the same in a years time.

Don't want to go to richards as i've heard he's a knob. Draconian any good? Retro rebels? Who u recommmend?

i went in to speak to him about a couple and he basically said he wasn't interested in doing me one unless it was big and arty farty. Tried to tell me what i should be wanting lol...nah min, see ye!

Be interesting to see if he still says the same in a years time.

Don't want to go to richards as i've heard he's a knob. Draconian any good? Retro rebels? Who u recommmend?

ive bn to retro rebels n there good aswell.n there really nice theres two tattooist there.but u hve to book it like a week in advance

This made me think... does any of the tattoo studios in aberdeen (or dundee) offer a "walk in" service.

ta

Richards at the harbour does. It also has a sign on the door that says "No hookers or streetwalkers". Classy!

This has been discussed at length in :

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/38388-draconian-vs-richards.html#post547467

I've always found the Tattoo work from Retro's to be very patchy afterwards and not heal properly. The actual art itself is ok though.

Everyone heals differently. Also some colours have a tendancy to kick out more than others. Many people also do not take proper care during healing, go out and get drunk after, pick or itch the scabs etc. So, the healing of a tattoo, like any cut or skin damage you might do to yourself, is down to the individual and the regime of care they follow. Some parts of my backpiece (done by Caledonia Sun in Stirling) involved a lot of work over certain areas of skin, meaning they were pretty painful after and scabbed a lot. However, I took very careful care of myself while it was healing and there was very little ink kickout.

Nappy rash cream like Bepanthen works great on tattoos. I suffer eczema and have allergies to many moisturisers and suchlike, so I wash down with luke-warm clean water (no rubbing or touching), pat dry with a towel and then apply a thin layer of Savlon morning and night for the first 5 days or until the pain is gone and the skin has started to scab off. Then I keep the same washing and pat dry technique and use Boots skin lotion over it twice a day.

Another tip is to remove the cling film at night on the day you get your tattoo, give it a wash down with luke-warm water and *do not* try and wash off the gunk/ink left on your skin. Pat it dry of water with a towel, apply the Savlon thinly and carefully all over and leave it at that. The gunky stuff will dry out and help as a protective layer and the air getting to the skin will help with healing. If you itch in your sleep then tie your hands together or something eh :p

Everyone heals differently. Also some colours have a tendancy to kick out more than others. Many people also do not take proper care during healing, go out and get drunk after, pick or itch the scabs etc. So, the healing of a tattoo, like any cut or skin damage you might do to yourself, is down to the individual and the regime of care they follow. Some parts of my backpiece (done by Caledonia Sun in Stirling) involved a lot of work over certain areas of skin, meaning they were pretty painful after and scabbed a lot. However, I took very careful care of myself while it was healing and there was very little ink kickout.

Nappy rash cream like Bepanthen works great on tattoos. I suffer eczema and have allergies to many moisturisers and suchlike, so I wash down with luke-warm clean water (no rubbing or touching), pat dry with a towel and then apply a thin layer of Savlon twice morning and night for the first 5 days or until the pain is gone and the skin has started to scab off. Then I keep the same washing and pat dry technique and use Boots skin lotion over it twice a day.

Another tip is to remove the cling film at night on the day you get your tattoo, give it a wash down with luke-warm water and *do not* try and wash off the gunk/ink left on your skin. Pat it dry of water with a towel, apply the Savlon thinly and carefully all over and leave it at that. The gunky stuff will dry out and help as a protective layer and the air getting to the skin will help with healing. If you itch in your sleep then tie your hands together or something eh :p

All my tattoos have healed very well and the Blacks have stood up well to high levels of UV and exposure to weather without looking overly grey/green despite their age (Done at Richard's and Draconian though).

It was more the work i'd seen on other people. But as you say, they may or may not have been taking care of them. One, however, was a tee-total hypocondriac who was very anal about the after-care. Could just have been his namby pamby skin though ;)

One, however, was a tee-total hypocondriac who was very anal about the after-care.

You can go too crazy with the aftercare too tho. I know someone who was slapping the creams and moisturiser on every few hours, this keeps everything too wet and lets the ink back out the skin also. It's all about sensible happy mediums. Just like any injury, you want to keep infection out, promote healing, let it breathe and let your skin form its protective scab layer and then get rid of it when it's good and ready.

Keeping the colours looking good post-case is simply a case of keeping the sunblock on if you're out in it. I have some mad yellows, greens and oranges (as well as white, always tricky!) in mine, but by keeping them factor 50'd when the sun is doing it's thing they remain as they should and look sharp.

Nappy rash cream like Bepanthen works great on tattoos. I suffer eczema and have allergies to many moisturisers and suchlike, so I wash down with luke-warm clean water (no rubbing or touching), pat dry with a towel and then apply a thin layer of Savlon morning and night for the first 5 days or until the pain is gone and the skin has started to scab off. Then I keep the same washing and pat dry technique and use Boots skin lotion over it twice a day.

All colours are the same as far as how they ''kick out''. if the colours are doing that its down to bad tattoo technique and the artist is going to deep or overworking the skin because some colours are harder to get in and the artist is overworking the skin heaps trying to get the colour in. No colours should 'kick out'. all tattoo pigments are the same its just the aging of colours that differ ie. white dosnt last all that long.

Any massive scabing is because the skin is chewed up regardless of size or placment of the piece.

This made me think... does any of the tattoo studios in aberdeen (or dundee) offer a "walk in" service.

ta

Metalurgy in Dundee has a month or so waiting list, but highly recommend it, I've just been last weekend getting my back piece finished off and love it.

I use the nappy cream and have had now problems healing, hardly much bleed/scabbing - altho it's not easy itching or picking at your back!

Getting my next one designed for me by him!

My ex got her foot tattooed at Rapport. The guy designed it and in all honesty it is the worst tattoo I have ever seen in real life. Looks like it was done with a knitting needle and biro ink.

My back and side had healing problems despite following the same care regime as my first one. Ink didnt take in small places but I think its due to very minor tissue scarring from chickenpox. Also the ink bled a little on my side from wearing suit trousers at work that ride a little higher than my normal ones!

My ex got her foot tattooed at Rapport. The guy designed it and in all honesty it is the worst tattoo I have ever seen in real life. Looks like it was done with a knitting needle and biro ink.

My back and side had healing problems despite following the same care regime as my first one. Ink didnt take in small places but I think its due to very minor tissue scarring from chickenpox. Also the ink bled a little on my side from wearing suit trousers at work that ride a little higher than my normal ones!

what have you got?

I think sometime peoples skin just doesn't take to the ink tho? could be wrong no expert in inking!!

2881636773a6798415511l.jpg

2881636773a6798415843l.jpg

This was just after taking off the cover, the feather is now quite light and really detailed...the first "aut" is where the ink has now bled slightly. Also got a sketch style nautical star just above my elbow on the back of my arm, really rough looking like a kid drew it with a biro but thats exactly what I wanted.

The only place I'd go is Retros; they're fast, do exactly what you want and there's no pissing about. They're really helpful and my four tattoos all healed well, there's no patchy bits and the designs look as great as they did the day they were done.

I think it depends on your skin, an ex of mine went to retros, draconians and richards and all took ages to heal - whenever he got a cut, no matter how small, he'd get a sore-looking scar.

If you walk into Draconians they just look you up and down as if to go "oh a girl, bet she wants a shit tattoo", and Richard is an utter bastard to women. He's fine with guys, but he just seems to go in a mood the moment a lassy walks in.

I'd rather be put on a waiting list than just walk in, get it done then kicked out the door. It gives you time to think about what you want, the size etc... instead of a spur of the moment thing that you could end up hating later on

2881636773a6798415511l.jpg

2881636773a6798415843l.jpg

This was just after taking off the cover, the feather is now quite light and really detailed...the first "aut" is where the ink has now bled slightly. Also got a sketch style nautical star just above my elbow on the back of my arm, really rough looking like a kid drew it with a biro but thats exactly what I wanted.

You have no body hair.... o_O

p.s. I realise you had to get shaved for the tattoo, but even further up! I've never seen a guy that's not hairy, unless he's on a Cosmo advert