aberdeen-music

[GIG] Howlin Rain + Akron/Family @ The Lemon Tree

howlin_rain.jpg

akronfamily.jpg

Howlin Rain (with Ethan Miller of acclaimed Californian psychedelic rockers Comets On Fire and John Moloney aka Sunburned Hand Of The Man) make joyful free-wheelin' rock in the vein of Creedence Clearwater Revival or Boy Dylans' Pat Garret And Billy The Kid soundtrack. "We make music to beat the steering wheel of your van to or sing along with while drinking whiskey in the bathtub on a Saturday night with your dog."

Also on this superb bill: Akron/Family of Brooklyn and their adventurous, imaginative take on gentle American country-folk with added unabashed electronic noise. Their deft blend of styles really shouldn't work under any circumstances, but it does and their schizoid oddness never once sounds contrived, instead fresh and exciting and pretty inspiring.

"Akron/Familys fourth album in a furious two-year existence keeps the groups rickety and inexhaustible spirit roaring ahead. Its touchstones, from the Grateful Dead to Neil Young to Fairport Convention, could easily veer into ostentatious eclecticism, but since Akron/Family doesnt boast a particularly charismatic singer, the musicians all singand playwithout pretension.: Time Out

Phosphorescent draw comparisons to Iron and Wine and The Beach Boys and write music which is reflective and earnest, leading to acclaim such as that which describes new album Pride as "one of the 2007's most knee-bucklingly beautiful records" Stylus Magazine

http://www.howlinrain.com

http://www.myspace.com/howlinrain

http://www.akronfamily.com

http://www.myspace.com/akak

www.myspace.com/phosphorescent

Akron/Family return to the Lemon Tree following their Triptych 06 gig with King Creosote, Adem and Kitchen Cynics.

For fans of Vetiver and Devendra Banhart...Akron/Family are signed to the distinguished Young God imprint, (Devendra Banhart, Mi and L'au) and their label boss is fted Swans' commander Michael Gira - a guru with whom Akron/Family also shared a release last year, playing alongside his Angels of Light.

Clashes with Efterklang in Glasgow.

Bummer.

Efterklang are kinda amazing & nice to know there are more efterklang fans in 'deen.

imp had them booked to play the monday night, but they decided in their wisdom to have a rest night........urghhhhhhhhh

ps this line up Isla has put together is kinda special

imp had them booked to play the monday night, but they decided in their wisdom to have a rest night........urghhhhhhhhh

What a terrible decision that was. :( Even I would have gone. They're playing in London the night that I'm down, but, I doubt my gig will finish/I'd be able to find the venue early enough to catch them.

What a terrible decision that was. :( Even I would have gone. They're playing in London the night that I'm down, but, I doubt my gig will finish/I'd be able to find the venue early enough to catch them.

You should be thankful that you have been given the opportunity to see Akron Family & Howlin' Rain(sunburned hand of the man) on one bill in Aberdeen

Guest bluesxman
Howlin' Rain(sunburned hand of the man) on one bill in Aberdeen

That's a bit misleading grouping those bands since they sound nowt like each other. Common members doesn't mean common style.

The sheer number of bearded dudes holding guitars onstage at any given Akron/Family event being what it is... here's some more akron blurb...

Akron/Family is John Brown's body, the ghost of Tom Joad and the art-school spirit of Andy Warhol crammed into one ornate, mossy mausoleum.(Magnet)

Akron/Family aren't nearly as country-blues rooted as Banhart. Their songs are clearly pop songs, albeit filtered through an expansive, multi-instrumented sensibility. They work in a more structured way than Animal Collective, without the long hallucinatory improvisations or tribal percussion sessions.(Splendid)

Meander[ing] through comparatively direct Mercury Rev and Radiohead moods....[Akron/Family (self-titled)] sounds like the work of a band many freak-folk acts strive to become. (AVclub)

Guest idol_wild
Efterklang are kinda amazing & nice to know there are more efterklang fans in 'deen.

That is utterly gutting! :swearing: