aberdeen-music

45 A-Side Records

Sam 45

45 A-Side is a new project currently being worked on by myself and Jamie Sturt. 45 A-Side is going to be a cassette only indie label based down here in Glasgow. We aim to release bands on cassette doing limited runs of 100 tapes.

Our first release is going to be a compilation of a variety of Scottish bands with a launch night being held somewhere down here in Glasgow. If anybody wants to put themself forward for the compilation, we'll have a listen and see what we think. Got some damn good bands already lined up.

In the meantime, we've set up a myspace page. Doesn't have very much on it, but you can swing by it at www.myspace.com/45asidetapes.

I'm interested as to why you've chosen Cassette as your format? I mean there are next to no new cassette players on the market these days and the ones that are are fairly shit. Recordable tapes are fairly thin on the ground as well. Sound quality on cassette is terrible and its a degradable media where the sound quality only deteriorates with each play.

I'm not wanting to rain on your parade at all, i'm just interested as to why you are being so backward. To the skeptic it just reeks of being retro for retro sake (which will appeal to a generation of young adults who are desperate to latch onto the next retro craze no doubt). What's next: Folks only releasing music on DAT or micro cassette?

hmmmm im pretty sure its more of a social thing if anything

there are still a lot of people who use tapes, and tape trading is still a pretty fun/common thing between friends all over the world, could be something to tie in with that??

there is something quaint about tapes that I like. being honest; it aint the most practical and I dont listen to many tapes but my logs tape still gets a twirl every now and again

meh, good on sam for doing something :)

hmmmm im pretty sure its more of a social thing if anything

there are still a lot of people who use tapes, and tape trading is still a pretty fun/common thing between friends all over the world, could be something to tie in with that??

there is something quaint about tapes that I like. being honest; it aint the most practical and I dont listen to many tapes but my logs tape still gets a twirl every now and again

meh, good on sam for doing something :)

Aye, don't get me wrong, i applaud the guy for doing it. I'm just interested, that's all.

It's jsut something a bit different. It makes the label a bit more recognisable. If i were to release on CD, it would just be another label, doing it this way makes it a bit more individuality. Obv, tapes are pretty rare, and the sound quality isn't as good as CD and the like, but im not really doing it for those reasons. By doing this, i can learn about starting something up, network with hundreds of people and not break the bank by doing so. Vinyl has made a come back before so i guess there isn't a reason why tapes can't have it's own surge. A lot of the people i have spoke to about it already really like the idea.

If any bands here fancy being on the compilation, send a message to the myspace and i'll check you guys out. In the pipeline, we already have PVH, Xcerts, Copy Haho, State of Affairs and Hyena.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

at home i listen to vinyl, in the car i listen to tape, i only really buy cds if it's dirt cheap stuff (such as the double cd featuring best ofs by howlin wolf and muddy waters, purchased for 2 pounds at morrisons)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steven Dedalus
I'm interested as to why you've chosen Cassette as your format? I mean there are next to no new cassette players on the market these days and the ones that are are fairly shit. Recordable tapes are fairly thin on the ground as well. Sound quality on cassette is terrible and its a degradable media where the sound quality only deteriorates with each play.

I'm not wanting to rain on your parade at all, i'm just interested as to why you are being so backward. To the skeptic it just reeks of being retro for retro sake (which will appeal to a generation of young adults who are desperate to latch onto the next retro craze no doubt). What's next: Folks only releasing music on DAT or micro cassette?

I sort of agree with you on the impracticality issue, but one thing I will say is that you can't beat the sound quality of tapes.

I work in the radio, and one of the things that amazed me most was the difference of quality on a GOOD tape player. Easily far better than cd or whatever.

And DATs are even better, but not everyone has access to a DAT player, to be fair.

But I do, and that makes me the best.

Although, I don't, to date, have any albums on DAT.

And never will cos it's a mental idea.

But all the best, and good luck with the label. There's not enough people doing stuff like this anymore. I remember when I used to make little compilation cds and bung them in a brown paper bag and give them away at the counter of One Up. Them were the days.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Just incase anyone missed the most ridiculous statement of the year so far, I highlighted it for you.

I've work with trained audio engineers every day, in the UK's top rated regional radio station.

I trust their opinion over yours, you goon.

Guest Steven Dedalus
What was this radio station? LSD FM?

As a matter of fact, it is LSD FM. Well done, sir.

I shall go in to work today and tell all 70 of our current audio engineers, and all 120 of our broadcast engineers that we have been doing things wrong, and whilst DAT provides a superior sound quality to minidisc, or a digital recording device, such as a Nagra, and whilst both DATs and traditional cassettes provide increased tone and warmth (ie. analogue warmth, not chilly digital distortion), we have been totally wrong.

Thankyou so much for all your help.

What was this radio station? LSD FM?

As a matter of fact, it is LSD FM. Well done, sir.

I shall go in to work today and tell all 70 of our current audio engineers, and all 120 of our broadcast engineers that we have been doing things wrong, and whilst DAT provides a superior sound quality to minidisc, or a digital recording device, such as a Nagra, and whilst both DATs and traditional cassettes provide increased tone and warmth (ie. analogue warmth, not chilly digital distortion), we have been totally wrong.

Thankyou so much for all your help.

50059171.JPG

DAT provides a superior sound quality to minidisc, or a digital recording device, such as a Nagra

That's wrong actually, the DAT specification isn't that great compared to modern DAW/HD recording systems, and it is actually a digitally recording device itself ;P

and whilst both DATs and traditional cassettes provide increased tone and warmth (ie. analogue warmth' date=' not chilly digital distortion), we have been totally wrong.[/quote']

First off, "tone and warmth" are qualities you want on a recording medium, rather than a medium for accurate reproduction.

Secondly, DAT does not provide "increased tone and warmth" because it's a digital signal and will still have horrible digital distortion if the input is clipping.