aberdeen-music

Snafu Are Scottish Nightclub Of The Year!

ClaireFu

I suppose as the GM of Snafu and the one who sets the bar prices and decides what products make the grade and which ones don't, I should put a little bit in here just so we can lay to rest some of the points raised here.

Ale On Draught - The quality of the product served will not be consistent as I can count on one hand, then amount of times I've been asked for a dark beer over the last year. And the fact that we've had Brew Dog IPA in for over a month now and sold only 3 bottles, surely answers that question. The price is dictated by the fact that we wanted to stock a different, quality (and local) product and that is reflected in the price.

Changing Drink Prices - This is based on the marketability of different nights of the week, taking into consideration what nights are traditionally student nights and depending on what type of crowd we are expecting, since we have a varied music policy - thus resulting in different markets on different nights of the week. This is a synopsis - anyone who would like to debate this further is welcome to pop into the club, buy a beer (at 3.10 or less depending on the night of the week) and I'll have all the time in the world for them. We could go on forever debating this issue here. At the end of the day, we're not doing it because it is a current phenomenon or whatever - experience has taught us that this is the right thing to do, and results have shown that we are in fact following the correct route.

Snafu/Arches - We have a lot of love for anyone doing what they want to do. The Arches, and anyone else for that matter, are our brethren!

This award doesn't mean we think we're the best nightclub in Scotland. It is recognition that what we're doing means something to people other than us. And the people that turn up on whatever night of the week and pay whatever price for their drink are proof of that. We're not asking people to come to Snafu because we're independent, just come if you want your night to be dictated by your musical preference and not by your wallet.

Thanks to Maxwell et all for your support!

Gomes

I'm not convinced by this notion that being 'independent' makes it 'good', and that a limited budget justifies any discrepancies in that principle. I don't think the christmas proverb, 'its the thought that counts', applies in the business sphere.

Ok maybe the fact that SNAFU is independent doesn't necessarily make it 'good' just for that reason...But it is one of its major strengths. Unlike most of Aberdeens drinking and clubbing establishments in Aberdeen who are mostly owned buy corporate, chain (whores) of companies eg Luminar, Duddingston Leisure, Urbium, Inventive leisure, Punch Taverns etc. Who are only interested in piling people into there venues, playing the most obvious commercial music possible and squeezing as much money out of you as they can... They dont give a f*ck about Aberdeen, talent, music, there customers and there staff!

All they care about is profits!!

Having worked as a DM for one of the above mentioned I know for a fact when they opened they had no interest in opening a nice bar, offering good products and entertainment... it was ALL about targets and profits - Nothing else!!

They had done there sums on on population, worked out where the bar needed to be, who to target, what to charge as the average wage and employment in Abdn is higer that most of the UK (nothing to do with cost then margin - just how much they money they could get away with charging, more than rest of the uk appart London as it turned out! Which they were pretty happy about).

Thats where SNAFU completely differs.

SNAFU work hard at offering somthing different to the more discerning 'clubber' and dont treat there customers like fuking idiots and rip them off.

They go out of there way to bring new/exciting/interesting djs and bands to Aberdeen as well helping expose and promote homegrown talent.

They must even lose money on nights because they have this ethos of putting on a great night almost regardless of cost.

Also take the magazine they do too. They PAY for it to be produced and distributed and it not only promotes them but everyone else trying to keep Abdn interesting too!

It would be easy for them not to bother but they do and I for one totally appreciate they do!

Is a tough business in the licence trade for independents (not many left in Abdn) when you have all these massive corporations and chian bars/clubs with there massive budgets, marketing power, ability to use there buying power to get cheap booze in and sell it with a bigger margin as a result, squeezing you out!

Therefore So what if they maybe put there prices up a wee bit on a weekend. There not doing it to be greedy, there doing it cause its what they need to do to remain profitable and overall survive!!!

I for one am proud that Aberdeen has a club like SNAFU keeping things interestin and there efforts have been recognised.

Aberdeen, thanks to Abdn city council, is already quickly turning into a boring clone town but with places like SNAFU (and others of course) it still has a glimmer of hope.

Again well done to SNAFU.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I really like Snafu as a venue and well done for winning the prize. I do have to agree with Kimy on his point though. Had some kick ass nights in there. Actually the last one I went to was girls on top or something and it was great, real energy club night, that you find hard to get elsewhere in Aberdeen or anywhere really. In contrast to that, the previous night I went to I was enjoying a lot until the DJ started playing a strange selection of tunes which were barely in line with what was being played earlier. This totally threw me so I had to leave. I was there for a dose of quality electro dancing ... It seemed as though this musical tangent happened because the dancefloor wasn't full but I didn't pay a reasonably large entrance fee for an electro night to listen to the clash.

But well done, mine is a fairly minor quibble.

Cheers Rockaustin had some superb nights doing Girls on Top and miss it quite a bit, thanks to Mo & Amanda for the opportunity!

Had some decent nights in Snafu and hats off for bringing some superb DJ's something which wasn't happening too much in the Deen area, also the bands & comedy nights which are also pretty decent, something many clubs in Abdn have is variety