aberdeen-music

Snafu Are Scottish Nightclub Of The Year!

ClaireFu

Music wise in a set i think its good to throw in a few genres but i agree you cant swerve from one to another in the space of a song! it throws people off, although i have had to once before as a set wasnt working or going down well with a crowd.

Thats what 2 many djs / soulwax or optimo are so good at , totally mixing it all up and blending things which you wouldnt think of.

in fact giles does that really well in his sets, probably better than anyone ive heard

and ive seen martin mix some really good stuff together that you wouldnt think off - the stooges into disco comes to mind!

im guilting of having to play certain songs for regulars but i try to mix it up with new stuff if i can(timewise). i only get an hour and a half at dhc depending on when the band finishes so its hard to please everyone!

and to answer your other question, brew dog retails between 2.70 during the week and 3.10 at weekends.(every club/bar drinks prices change depending on time of the week :) )

Not every club or bar changes their prices. In fact I don't go to many places that do, or perhaps I just don't notice 'cause I'm drunk. 3.10 seems fucking expensive anyway.

Hmm. As I am a) skint most of the time and b) tight, I may stick to fizzy pish. Unless the bottles are quite large.

I still think you should just get a tennents velvet/ember or something if you're tied to that brewery.

Anyway, despite not liking the beer I do like the venue (in case I wasn't giving that impression) so keep up the good work and congratulations on the award.

Sounds about as relevant as David Beckham's crowning as 'Britains most powerful man under 40'. Boho is a non-event, and we may aswell admit the Arches a different league altogether. Snafu is way over-priced for what you get, which is a twenty minute wait at the bar and a battering of Daft Punk and New Order.

aye i love a bot if fergie, amin van burrito and pete tong every week (inside out / colours etc) - horses for courses really... an arches night out is a totally different experience to a snafu one.. each have their pluses + minuses (depending on what you're wanting that night)

i worked with the slam/pressure production for a few years and it's an amazing show they put on - bare in mind you rent the arches as a shell ie. no soundsystem or nowt and each month they have 15 odd promoters coming in and pushing all the nights... at snafu we're all inhouse (that means dealing with all tech issues 6 days a week - subclub opens 3/4 days) and offer something a bit more personal... so the awards are being assessed with these differences in mind

i can't be done with an arches club night night now.. too much hard work for me old legs, altho there's some amazing live gigs there due to it's size and public demand - i like some cocktails and a wee comfy seat now and then - does the arches offer that??.. so there's a whole demographic to be judged - not just glowstick madness or emo meltdowns for the masses kimi ... mind you the daft punk afterparty in '97 was quite marvellous

also there were a few hundred other establishments en-route that competed btw - making a diverse final top 3 is obviously in sltn interests... i don't see the other contenders trying to push the WHOLE of their city's scene like we do in our magazine.. it's smallville up here and fundamently important that folk can imagine aberdeen growing into something more cosmopolitan/cutting edge (justifying more adventurous bookings for us) than it is right now - aint all about the M8

ps.. daft punk + new order - if you can see past the image of what you think you should be liking you'd find both these artists have made amazing music - but if you think they're all we're about then you really don't know your shizzle

Not every club or bar changes their prices. In fact I don't go to many places that do, or perhaps I just don't notice 'cause I'm drunk. 3.10 seems fucking expensive anyway.

I still think you should just get a tennents velvet/ember or something if you're tied to that brewery.

it's a small independent firm in scotland producing very low quantities.. you're paying to support that since we obviously buy it in for far more that your merkin beers etc

at our last mag launch the brew dog range was complimentary and we tried to gage if it would interest folk - would love to stock them all - i too fell your real ale pain, but tennents ales are a step too far imo - boggin

it's a small independent firm in scotland producing very low quantities.. you're paying to support that since we obviously buy it in for far more that your merkin beers etc

Aye, I know. Guess I should be thinking quality over quantity really.

Still, I'd rather support it in the Moorings where it's on tap and a lot cheaper for a pint.

christ i cant believe you are whinging about 50p per drink extra or whatever the difference is. on a normal sat night out it might cost you an extra fiver than drinking in a shitehole or the moorings (which isnt a shitehole)

5 only. the cost of two pints roughly.

i dont mind paying 5 on a night out if it goes towards putting on a decent night, which snafu does

recently i paid 12 into the arches and bought several drinks which could be called overpriced, but i had a magic night and I wll be back for sure.

if drinks are what really makes you go somewhere you should stick to late night pubs

?

(every club/bar drinks prices change depending on time of the week :) )

Not true at all!

plus they sell staropramen and always have plenty of bar staff on so you don't have to wait too long even when it's heaving. :)

I want to know where you stand! :) I'm not dissing, I've got a lorra love for Snaffles... but the number of times I've waited over 15 minutes to get served have far outnumbered the times I've been served within that.

Doesn't put me off, like. :)

christ i cant believe you are whinging about 50p per drink extra or whatever the difference is. on a normal sat night out it might cost you an extra fiver than drinking in a shitehole or the moorings (which isnt a shitehole)

if drinks are what really makes you go somewhere you should stick to late night pubs

?

Well, I'm tight and I tend to drink a lot of beer on a night out. But apart from that it's about the whole package, nowhere is perfect and as a customer I think I'm entitled to have a wee whinge if the beer's expensive/shit (or both) even if the music and atmosphere are good.

Well, I'm tight and I tend to drink a lot of beer on a night out. But apart from that it's about the whole package, nowhere is perfect and as a customer I think I'm entitled to have a wee whinge if the beer's expensive/shit (or both) even if the music and atmosphere are good.

i think you're expecting a little bit too much here though chris. the average person who goes to snafu doesn't want real ale do they? and if they do they can buy it in bottles. next time you're in try staropramen or hoegarden, certainly not fizzy pish but refreshing tasty beers with no bad stuff in them.

i don't think getting velvet on tap is feasible, it'll make it feel like a function hall.

I've tried staropramen, it's just like every other european lager.

I don't want real ale, I understand that's a load of hassle to get the pumps in etc. But loads of other places manage to have something other than lagers and guinness on tap (best, velvet, john smiths, machlachlans in the bassment).

Actually the last time I was there was for So So Modern (although I did intend to go to the last 2 DHC nights but other factors prevented me from going along), so I wouldn't say I'm a regular.

When I'm out it's usually to the Tunnels, which suffers from the same problems (only lager or guinness and it's expensive).

You can say you're paying a premium for the nice venue, good atmosphere etc but it doesn't detract from the fact that 2.70 and upwards for a pint of tennents is more than the stuff is worth.

Guest bluesxman

Changing drinks prices dependent on time of week is a cynical practice that deserves to lose custom no matter how wonderful the establishment. And DJs get over yourselves, at the end of the day you are getting paid for playing other peoples songs, its hardly rocket science...

Changing drinks prices dependent on time of week is a cynical practice that deserves to lose custom no matter how wonderful the establishment. And DJs get over yourselves, at the end of the day you are getting paid for playing other peoples songs, its hardly rocket science...

changing drinks prices is unfortunately the only way to sustain a small business. only larger multi-nationals can afford to keep their drinks prices low all week. at the end of the day our business isn't based on cheap drinks, and focuses on entertainment, which obviously carries an extra cost.

with regards to your comments about djs, most of the snafu resident djs are also producers signed to labels such as Big Dada, 20:20, Farris Wheel and the like. and if you have witnessed a dj set at Snafu, you would realise that simply playing other peoples records is not how it's done here. our residents re-edit, re-work and cut-up "other peoples songs". i don't know a dj that doesn't play other peoples records - i think that would make them a band?? and even they play covers!!!

changing drinks prices is unfortunately the only way to sustain a small business. only larger multi-nationals can afford to keep their drinks prices low all week. at the end of the day our business isn't based on cheap drinks, and focuses on entertainment, which obviously carries an extra cost.

Total crap, I would say most small pubs that I know of keep their prices the same. Changing prices is a relatively new phenomenon, and one that I'm only aware of in trendy club-come-bars, not ordinary pubs.

i dont see why everybody is on the back of snafu here

A couple of whinges about expensive drinks isn't really everybody getting on the back of them. It's still an excellent venue (reflected in the winning of the award this thread was originally about), but that shouldn't make them exempt from constructive feedback.

i dont see why everybody is on the back of snafu here

Just to clarify, I'm not on the back of Snafu, it's a good wee club and I met my wife in its predecessor Po Na Na so I'll always be fond of the place.

I'm not even having a go at the policy of different drink prices, but saying "everybody does it" is just simply untrue.

Total crap, I would say most small pubs that I know of keep their prices the same. Changing prices is a relatively new phenomenon, and one that I'm only aware of in trendy club-come-bars, not ordinary pubs.

yea like the moorings! oh no, wait a minute... :)

i agree, most pubs don't change their prices but it's not necessarily a bad thing when pubs do have a changing price structure, it's just a new fangled modern business practice innit. they gots to make some cash right? people sometimes forget that yes cheap stuff is good but it's not always good in the greater scheme of things is it?

I've usually had most of my booze quota for the night by the time I get to Snafu and mostly want to get down and boogy when I get there. It is not a new phenomenon that prices increase on certain nights. The Blue lamp has an increased prices (not by a huge amount) between the bar and the venue when a band are playing, they have done that for as long as I can remeber.

Oh yeah, and I mainly have a great night in Snafu (despite my small gripe).:up: