aberdeen-music

Final Sopranos on E4

medichi

On reflection, I quite like it - and I liked this too:

YouTube - The Sopranos Finale Explained (in detail with video)

Some of it fits.

A lot of that makes sense.

I definitely think Tony was going to get popped, it built up and built up throughout the last scene. So the sudden cut to black fits to that. I guess playing a gunshot over it or something would make it too obvious.

My favourite bit of the episode was Agent Harris' slip of the tongue when he was told of Phil's death.

A lot of that makes sense.

I definitely think Tony was going to get popped, it built up and built up throughout the last scene. So the sudden cut to black fits to that. I guess playing a gunshot over it or something would make it too obvious.

My favourite bit of the episode was Agent Harris' slip of the tongue when he was told of Phil's death.

Yes, I guess some of it does, but I'm taking the cynical line that Chase, whilst dressing it up like a David Lynch scene, is basically assuring the financial security of himself, the writers and the principal cast.

Let's be honest, whilst the cast were absolutely outstanding in their respective roles, almost all of them, with the exception of Edie Falco (Carmela) have had pretty limited careers.

Examples...

James Gandolfini has been dreadful in just about everything else he's been in (e.g. The Last Castle).

Tony Sirico (Walnuts) is good at playing mob lackies and has done little else.

Steve Van Zandt (Silvio) has no acting chops whatsover, but at least has his musical career.

Drea DeMatteo (Adriana) has been eye-candy in a few third-rate movies and Joey (pish)

The list could go on....

These guys have mortgages and egos like the rest of us and it would be a hell of a comedown to go from working regularly in a highly acclaimed series of that quality and global exposure to appearing as a marquee "name" in B-movies.

So, I believe that Chase has come up with the perfect ending in many respects. Cerebral enough for the intellectuals, Geeky enough for the "Ooh!, I spotted an obscure reference" geeks and plenty of discussion points to keep the memory of the series alive.

To cap it all, it has a bulletproof "get out" if they want to resurrect the series and is just about conclusive enough if they don't.

I even convinced myself! - it's not a cop out, it's a piece of genius on many levels!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it was fantastic...

the ending was perfect!

My sentiments too.

I haven't been on any Sopranos-based message boards to see what the resto of the world's thoughts are on it but the moe I watch the final episode I 've thought of 3 possible outcomes:

Outcome 1

The guy who goes to use the john is avenging the death of Phil Leotardo and kills Tony and family as they sit in the booth.

Outcome 2

(At the risk of sounding racist) The black guys who enter the diner are there to hold the place up. In the heat of the moment the gun goes off accidentally. Tony is killed by a stray bullet.

Outcome 3

As Carlo has been arrested and is alleged to be giving State's Evidence, the FBI's New Jersey branch office have now gathered the final evidence they need to indict Tony on RICO charges. The fade covers the FBI arresting and charging him.

Purely hypothetical, I know, but does any one have better suggestions?