aberdeen-music

Boredoms

historicrocker

See, here's what's on my mind. Everyone I ask seems to have quite like them but no-one has anything to say. That in itself is a disappointment. So if someone went to see the show could they please reply with words non-inlusive of: "brilliant", "amazing", "really loud", "they had three drumkits", or "did you see the theramin that doubled as a lightbulb".

See, here's what's on my mind. Everyone I ask seems to have quite like them but no-one has anything to say. That in itself is a disappointment. So if someone went to see the show could they please reply with words non-inlusive of: "brilliant", "amazing", "really loud", "they had three drumkits", or "did you see the theramin that doubled as a lightbulb".

Why? (8 characters)

Not everything is worth over-analysing. I think to enjoy bands like Boredoms you have to throw away any notion of 'songs' in the standard format, and just roll with it. Afterwards, it was a mood akin to having just left a really awesome club, where I don't think anyone would expect discussion afterwards, given the nature of the music and it's intended purpose.

I thought it was alright. It felt like they were building up to something the whole time though, and it never happened for me, too much cymbals also, but there were some nice bits from time to time. Also, I liked the opening part with the lights and shouting, that was cool.

I wouldn't pay to see them again.

Not everything is worth over-analysing. I think to enjoy bands like Boredoms you have to throw away any notion of 'songs' in the standard format, and just roll with it. Afterwards, it was a mood akin to having just left a really awesome club, where I don't think anyone would expect discussion afterwards, given the nature of the music and it's intended purpose.

What is it's intended purpose? Purely a spectacle?

The Boredoms come across somewhere between ritual music and a psychedelic rave, so it wouldn't be hard to assume that the music is meant to create a sense of joy within the gathered mass in front of them, and perhaps to be even more presumptuous a sense of togetherness, this is without being privy to the band's innermost thoughts of course.

Even I'm over analysing this now, they aren’t music for the mind, I guess it's an experience you either enjoy or don't.

That's fine, i just wondered what people actually got out of such music, and those answers were exactly what I was expecting. What about the Boredoms on record though?

go into pitchfork & put Boredoms into their search facilty I believe reviwers have given some of their albums over 9.

Can I say Boredoms were a MegaSUPERB live experience

go into pitchfork & put Boredoms into their search facilty I believe reviwers have given some of their albums over 9.

Rilo Kiley's Take-Offs and Landings got a 4. I just don't respect Pitchfork as a whole. They have some good writers part of the time though. As for the Boredoms I am happy to say that they were not to me what they were to everyone else. But as everyone else has defended it, it is after all the listener who understands when he most wants to. Not to my taste but I won't disagree that it seemed an experience for the rest of the audience. Sorry if the initial post was abrupt, but I was quite curious as to how people saw the show.

do you study journalism?

Michael Gira on the other hand.....JESUS.

Quite probably the most painful hour of my life wasted that I will never get back.

i quite liked Gira - bit hard going though & maybe a bit overlong for a support act. Still, it was good to see him live.

Got his latest Angles of Light CD at the gig and it's a much easier listen than his live show!

gonna dig out my old Swans records and give them a blast for nostalgia sakes!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I wasn't there, but I feel like The Boredoms are a sort of 'emperor's new clothes' band. Everyone thinks they're AMAZING, UNMISSABLE, AWESOME and yet nobody can tell you why.

I wasn't there, but I feel like The Boredoms are a sort of 'emperor's new clothes' band. Everyone thinks they're AMAZING, UNMISSABLE, AWESOME and yet nobody can tell you why.

Pretty likely, but the fact that nearly everyone though Gira was utter wank must mean that Boredoms had something genuine going for them to avoid being chucked into the same category.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Pretty likely, but the fact that nearly everyone though Gira was utter wank must mean that Boredoms had something genuine going for them to avoid being chucked into the same category.

See, once again I am in no position to comment whatsoever having not seen either act live, but this potentially cements my point. The one guy who had something positive to say about Gira on this board was a self-confessed big time fan of his previous band (Swans is it?), yet everyone else who was ranting and raving about the genius of Boredoms pretty much just said he was shit - shit because he wasn't the Boredoms, or just shit? Are the boredoms really that amazing, or are they amazing because 'they're amazing'? I'll probably never know, but I hope someone will understand me questioning this. As for the gig itself, I was curious but not curious enough to fork out 17 just because a lot of people said they were great.