aberdeen-music

Celler 35 - Music Venue

Gemz

No offence, but if you are cancelling "DIY" gigs, then you aren't gonna get ANY gigs in Cellar 35 from now on? Surely all gigs there are people "doing it themselves (yourselves)".

I cant imagine the venue attracting mainline promoters.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much money will the lamp cost to fix? (Just wondered for bar sales gained vs small damage, not trying to say that causing any damage is acceptable, but i doubt it was intentional).

Breaking glasses is never intentional and its a weak excuse.

The diary is booked up till March with about 3 nights that promoters are doing so its not going to affect Celler 35 that much...

Im not saying that anythin was intentional...i know these things happen...

I wasnt even there on Saturday...it was a chance for Dave to see if he wanted to continue doing hardcore nights...an unfortunatly its not the road he wants to go down...

He was on edge constantly...which you would be too yeah?

In all honesty i think its the crowd surfing thats done it...not the lamp or the glasses...if someone breaks there back who gets the blame?

8-)

"Their"

I imagine the person crowd surfing wouldn't shirk any blame onto your venue!

It is a shame if it means Cellar 35 are going to stop future gigs of this nature happening. It has potential to be a great wee venue.

Can we just get this clear...Celler 35 is not my venue!

I took an interest in it as it helps my cause...which is getting Aberdeen bands gigs across Scotland...i can offer gig swaps for out of town bands...

I took on full responsibilty of booking the bands for the place...which i have done a not bad job wiht the place being booked up till March...

Im completely unsure of the hardcore/punk scene so thought it would be a good idea to get promoters to host nights to make sure the best bands were playing...saturday was a tester to see what like...

Its not when the person body surfing breaks their neck thats bad...its when they break someone elses it becomes a problem...

The smell of money brings the worse out of people...

8-)

I wrote a big speel but have decided to cut it down

I think all i wanna say is, sat night was a great gig, i enjoyed playing as much as watching the other bands on that night, it is a shame there was damage caused, but i hope cellar 35 could open it doors again to bands with the music style that was played on sat night.

It is a great wee venue and it is a shame that some peoples actions have caused problems for the venue, i know most of the damage is def accidental but i cant condone the crowd surfing as i personally not a fan of this at any gig at any venue.

But i know everyone had a great night all the same.

I would like to thank the bar staff for being ace all night, Dave for putting the gig on and Cellar 35 for being such a rad wee venue.

cheers

JaY

Sat night was one of the best gigs i've seen in years, thank you to the venue for letting us do the gig there and apologies for the damages, none of which were on purpose or caused by myself personally though being the promoter i feel part responsible, however a deposit was paid for the night and its my understanding they shall be taken from this(though the internet is no place to discuss financial matters and i'll speak with Dave personally reagrding the damages and their cost to fix). Anyway cheers again to those who came along, the bands that played and the venue.

Thanks Dave for being so nice about it an as you are aware from our email conversation i have done everythin possible to change his mind. You guys doing nights makes it 10 times easier for me!!!

Who knows...maybe in the future he will change his mind...

Gemz

No worries and genuinely thanks to C35 sat was awesome, though its the other Dave(Teabags on here) that you've been emailing Gemz he was interested in doing Atomgevitter in there on the 30th, i dealt with Dave C35 directly for my booking (way too many Daves in this thread now, very confusing!), anyway good luck twisting his arm, hope we see some more heavy nights in there soon!

I can't get my head round this, absolutely ridiculous. You do realise DIY stands for Do It Yourself, right? Be it hardcore, IDM, indie, post-rock..., any of those can count as DIY.

I really thought Celler 35 had the necessary attributes to stir some life into the Aberdeen music scene. A wee venue perfect for the small band, be it touring or one off shows (which i'd love to get involved in). To put all this in jeopardy because of a few smashed glasses and light...jeezo. And crowd surfing, yeah, ok, you're not meant to do it, and i'm completely against it, but i've been to many a gig where it has happened and the venue certainly didn't threaten to cease all shows.

It's almost like you don't want any progression in the scene.

Oh, and of course, all hardcore shows are full of loud mouth council estate dwellers who are only out to cause trouble.

I can't get my head round this, absolutely ridiculous. You do realise DIY stands for Do It Yourself, right? Be it hardcore, IDM, indie, post-rock..., any of those can count as DIY.

Sure, I'm sure she does. But there's a word of difference between shoe-gazing indie and wannabe macho hardcore.

I really thought Celler 35 had the necessary attributes to stir some life into the Aberdeen music scene. A wee venue perfect for the small band, be it touring or one off shows (which i'd love to get involved in). To put all this in jeopardy because of a few smashed glasses and light...jeezo. And crowd surfing, yeah, ok, you're not meant to do it, and i'm completely against it, but i've been to many a gig where it has happened and the venue certainly didn't threaten to cease all shows.

Maybe the owner doesn't want the hassle of fixing stuff afterwards? A small venue is gonna be in demand if it's cheap - why bother with the hassle of hardcore shows if you can book plenty of other stuff in its place?

It's almost like you don't want any progression in the scene.

In my opinion, the 'hardcore' scene has shot itself in the foot many a time. But if you want progression, why not open your own venue and take the financial risk yourself? Then you can smash glasses to your hearts content - oh wait, you won't do that, because it involves putting your hand in your pocket. It's funny, the people that complain are the ones that won't actually take any responsibility for their own and others actions.

Oh, and of course, all hardcore shows are full of loud mouth council estate dwellers who are only out to cause trouble.

They are populated by some of the biggest fucking idiots known to man, though. Plenty of nice people attend too, but given some of the people in 'the scene', I don't blame Cellar 35 for having nothing to do with future shows.

This was all accidental' date=' smashed glasses go with having alot of people in a small room with booze being involved, bands playing and people getting rowdy.[/quote']

Sad that people have to smash stuff, get drunk and get rowdy just to prove how hardcore they are, really. Or even worse, smash glasses and not get drunk, because that means hardcore points!

Sure, I'm sure she does. But there's a word of difference between shoe-gazing indie and wannabe macho hardcore.

Maybe the owner doesn't want the hassle of fixing stuff afterwards? A small venue is gonna be in demand if it's cheap - why bother with the hassle of hardcore shows if you can book plenty of other stuff in its place?

In my opinion, the 'hardcore' scene has shot itself in the foot many a time. But if you want progression, why not open your own venue and take the financial risk yourself? Then you can smash glasses to your hearts content - oh wait, you won't do that, because it involves putting your hand in your pocket. It's funny, the people that complain are the ones that won't actually take any responsibility for their own and others actions.

They are populated by some of the biggest fucking idiots known to man, though. Plenty of nice people attend too, but given some of the people in 'the scene', I don't blame Cellar 35 for having nothing to do with future shows.

Sad that people have to smash stuff, get drunk and get rowdy just to prove how hardcore they are, really. Or even worse, smash glasses and not get drunk, because that means hardcore points!

:laughing:

clown.jpg

What on earth are you talking about? I suppose you mean a world of difference, but i'll let that slide. But anyway, of course there is a world of difference between 'shoe-gazing indie and wannabe macho hardcore', i wasn't disputing that incredible observation. I just don't see the relevance of that statement to this topic, but hey, you seem like an asshole so i'm sure you'll find a way!

Oh, you're absolutely right. Aberdeen is crawling with bands looking for somewhere to play. And you know what Aberdeen needs more of? That's right! Acoustic nights! Open mic nights! Yeah! Bring it on! The venue will be perfect for it!

And of course, all hardcore shows are the same. Every time i go to one, it's like that film Groundhog day, you know? Man, it's crazy!

In my opinion...

Sorry, i stopped reading there.

I'd like to direct to you nearly every thread in the feedback forum. There's always someone complaining about the audience at a gig. I guess it was the same people that caused havoc at the In Decades Decline gig that caused havoc at the Kings of Leon gig, yeah? Sounds about right.

Hey....Dad!? It's you, isn't it dad! Aaaah! I thought as much! Oh, how you make me laugh with your outdated and absurd statements!

• Upvote 1

This thread is pretty funny purely on the basis that half of the people in it have got on their high horse about a landlord (god forbid) deciding (maybe quite rightly so) that on the basis of one night's slightly OTT shenanigans (purely hearsay i concede as i wasn't at the gig, though i know people who were) he doesn't want to have anything to do with a particular "scene" and the gigs involved with that scene. Strangely enough he has the right to do that so there should be no debate in the matter. Sadly the actions of the few have ruined it for the many by the sounds of it.

What's the matter with the East Neuk? Have they stopped allowing people to put on gigs now? It's hardly like there is a shortage of venues available to use in Aberdeen. The scene's what you make it after all isn't it? A venue, whilst contributing to the overall atmosphere of a gig, is not the key clincher in whether a gig is good or not. The bands and the crowd make it what it is surely.

Look for somewhere else to stage your gigs,leave the poor person that's copping the flak on behalf of the owner of C35 alone, stop whining like spoiled brats and don't bother replying to Clouds posts if you disagree with him as you'll inevitably end up looking like a school bully picking on a disabled kid, or an arrogant scene twat (delete where applicable).

:finger:

Huh? Dude, you're reading far too much into this. I wasn't at the gig either, i don't even like Decades In Decline and the other band on the bill (Kaddish are a different matter), but it's a pretty shit situation all round. The way i see it, a possibly great venue is longer available for 'DIY' shows (of any kind...?) because of events that happened in one night. That's it.

I've never been to the East Neuk, but passing it, it looks a total dive.

Also, who is on high horse?

Huh? Dude, you're reading far too much into this. I wasn't at the gig either, i don't even like Decades In Decline and the other band on the bill (Kaddish are a different matter), but it's a pretty shit situation all round. The way i see it, a possibly great venue is longer available for 'DIY' shows (of any kind...?) because of events that happened in one night. That's it.

I've never been to the East Neuk, but passing it, it looks a total dive.

Also, who is on high horse?

I didn't reply directly to you (that's why i didn't quote you) and haven't named names at all either as i don't feel i have to, mainly because it's the same people time and time again who whinge about things and get on their pedestals and soapboxes.

The East Neuk looks like a total dive but every gig i have been to there (even stretching back to a cracking gig that Hauller played there in either 1997 or 98) has been a good laugh and had a great atmosphere. The guy that runs it might not come across as an overly friendly guy but he's alright once he's sussed you out and he's not a total arse about average gig breakages either. Though you do have to pay a deposit.

Sad loss, maybe. The people who want to make a difference and make the scene better will find somewhere else or it obviously isn't important enough to them in the first place.

I didn't reply directly to you (that's why i didn't quote you)

Cripes, sorry, i forgot to read my 'internet message board' textbook.

Sad loss, maybe. The people who want to make a difference and make the scene better will find somewhere else or it obviously isn't important enough to them in the first place.

Yeah, sure, whatever, i guess people will have to find another venue. But i think people are well with their right to complain about the situation.

sigh.

Ok.

OH WOW GRATE WEE VENUE HERE SHOULD B GRATE FOR RAD JAM GIGZ

*glasses and light break, some rowdy behavior*

OH NOES NO MORE RAD JAMZ HERE =/

---

That is my interpretation of events. I think it's pretty primary school behavior, but hey.

(if i'm wrong, and my above interpretation is incorrect, fair enough)

Sigh.

OK.

It's not your venue. You don't have any right to decide what the owner puts on there. He can do what he likes. It's not going to lose him any business. The Noose and Monkey and C35 do more than fine business-wise without DIY gigs.

I'll tell you what you can do with your "RAD JAMZ". :finger:

It's not my venue...? No shit sherlock. I never said it was. I'm not wanting to decide what shows go on there either. None of those were my argument.

My argument is that due to one night's performance there will probably never be a gig that isn't an 'acoustic night', or something funded by EMI. Which is a real shame. That is my argument. That is all i'm saying.

It's not my venue...? No shit sherlock. I never said it was. I'm not wanting to decide what shows go on there either. None of those were my argument.

My argument is that due to one night's performance there will probably never be a gig that isn't an 'acoustic night', or something funded by EMI. Which is a real shame. That is my argument. That is all i'm saying.

Quit greeting, if you want more DIY shows find another venue and put them on yourself.