aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

Ive spent the afternoon reading this entire thread, Great stuff!

I just remembered another one of mine.. not really a ghost story but it stumped us and years later io Still have no explanation.

My girlfriend and I were staying at my folks house whilst they were on holiday, keeping an eye on the dogs n that. one day we went to tesco after work to pick up food and entertainment for the weekend. when We got in we dumped all the shopping in the kitchen then I went upstairs to get out of my uniform, she followed and we ended up pumpin.. so far so standard right? aye.. well no..

once we were done she was like 'im staervin now, lets make some food' ok, no bother I leant over the side of the bed to grab something out of my back pack beefore heading downstairs but it was fucking Gone.. like nowhere to be seen. I was convinced i had put it next to the bed before I got undressed, cos thats what i have always done.. We searched high and low for this back pack and could not fucking find it, upstairs, downstairs, bedroom, kitchen.. everywhere. we have trashed the house looking for my bag and by this point i am starting to think I had left it on the bus or in tesco . Tanya then thinks to use her phone to call my phone as its probably in the bag.. so she rings my mobile and we hear nothing so we give up, its gone.

we start the task of putting the house back together cos it was an absolute shit tip after our manic hunt for the missing bag.. everything is back in order and she starts panic laughing.. 'whats funny?' look behind you she says.. heres my bag, exactly where my head had been on the bed.. there is absolutely no way it was there before.. i wouldve felt it, we flipped the fuckiong mattress looking for it.. IT WAS NOT THERE

9 years later I still cannot figure out what happened, Tanya swears up and down she had nothing to do with it..

is there an inter dimensional rucksack portal in my mothers upstairs bedroom or was a ghost being a dick?

we'll never know. but it was fucking annoying. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AVB said:

Ive spent the afternoon reading this entire thread, Great stuff!

I just remembered another one of mine.. not really a ghost story but it stumped us and years later io Still have no explanation.

My girlfriend and I were staying at my folks house whilst they were on holiday, keeping an eye on the dogs n that. one day we went to tesco after work to pick up food and entertainment for the weekend. when We got in we dumped all the shopping in the kitchen then I went upstairs to get out of my uniform, she followed and we ended up pumpin.. so far so standard right? aye.. well no..

once we were done she was like 'im staervin now, lets make some food' ok, no bother I leant over the side of the bed to grab something out of my back pack beefore heading downstairs but it was fucking Gone.. like nowhere to be seen. I was convinced i had put it next to the bed before I got undressed, cos thats what i have always done.. We searched high and low for this back pack and could not fucking find it, upstairs, downstairs, bedroom, kitchen.. everywhere. we have trashed the house looking for my bag and by this point i am starting to think I had left it on the bus or in tesco . Tanya then thinks to use her phone to call my phone as its probably in the bag.. so she rings my mobile and we hear nothing so we give up, its gone.

we start the task of putting the house back together cos it was an absolute shit tip after our manic hunt for the missing bag.. everything is back in order and she starts panic laughing.. 'whats funny?' look behind you she says.. heres my bag, exactly where my head had been on the bed.. there is absolutely no way it was there before.. i wouldve felt it, we flipped the fuckiong mattress looking for it.. IT WAS NOT THERE

9 years later I still cannot figure out what happened, Tanya swears up and down she had nothing to do with it..

is there an inter dimensional rucksack portal in my mothers upstairs bedroom or was a ghost being a dick?

we'll never know. but it was fucking annoying. 

Had a similar thing happen when I was a teenager, I had this cheap gold necklace that I used to wear, one day it just disappeared. I assumed I'd just lost it somewhere and I forgot about it. Weeks later I was in my bedroom and there was a dirty mug on the windowsill, I was heading downstairs so I picked up the mug to take it down and put it in the dishwasher, and when I picked it up, the necklace was in the mug. Thing is, the mug had only been there for a couple of hours. Still can't really explain that. There were a few things happened in that house around that time and I was convinced it was haunted, although with the benefit of age and maturity I can explain away most of it now. I've forgotten a lot of it now (moved out in 1997) but these stick in the memory:

Used to hear random voices when the house was empty (probably a taxi driver passing talking on a radio, and a stereo left on in the house)

"Footsteps" on the stairs at night (birds or cats on the roof, house bedding in etc)

Witnessed another mug (apparently this ghost liked tea) move on it's own while sitting on the table. It spun round about a quarter turn. That was weird.

An orange jumping out of the fruit bowl and roll across the floor (same night as the mug moved. Probably just fell out, although the bowl wasn't stacked high and the bowl was deep).

Weird noises (usually beeping) when I was lying in bed at night that felt like it was only about an inch or so from my ear.

TV & VCR switching themselves on during the night (not sure about this one. Cheap electronics probably)

Place used to freak me out though looking back I don't believe there was anything paranormal. That said though, my friend Neil lived two doors down, and he was an absolute 100% skeptic, he used to mock us relentlessly for believing in ghosts and the paranormal (a few of us were quite in to it and read a lot of books on it and did seances etc. I remember once trying to contact Kurt Cobain, oh to be 15 again, lol). One night when we were all about 17 we were all round at his house as his parents were away. We all went out the back to have a smoke and we left Neil sitting in his living room by himself. The way the living room was laid out if you were sitting on the sofa and looked to your left you'd look out the door, and you could see a section of the stairs. So we're all out the back having a smoke and Neil wanders out and he's looking really pale, and asks who just went up the stairs. We say, nobody, we're all here. And he says stop fucking around, who just went up the stairs? And again we said Neil, look around, everybody's here, we haven't moved off this spot in about 10 minutes. He started telling us what had happened and he was almost in tears. He'd very clearly seen a full on black figure wearing boots walking up his stairs. Knowing we were all outside he went running upstairs it to see who it was in case it was a burglar, and found it completely deserted. He did not believe in ghosts, he fucking did after that. I just text him and asked him about it, 20-odd years later he still swears it happened.

This is still the weirdest thing that's happened to me recently.

On 8/1/2013 at 1:19 PM, Lemonade said:

Few years ago me and my ex were sitting in my living room watching TV. On the coffee table in front of us there was a lighty-up toy star thing. We're just watching telly and we hear a scraping noise coming from the coffee table, glance over and the fucking star is moving across the table by itself. Must have moved 4-5 inches in a couple of seconds, then just stopped. Really cannot explain that. We used to hear weird noises in that room quite a lot but that was the freakiest.

Edited by Lemonade

I've never really seen or experienced anything first-hand, nothing completely convincing like movement or figures or anything like that, but my mum swore blind that a house we rented for a very short while was haunted. However, before my mum did claim this, I always felt that something about the house just felt a bit unsettling. I was 8 at the time, I came home from school shortly after we moved in, and my mum wasn't home. She'd left the front door open (it was a quiet cul de sac quite far out of the town) so I could go in when I got home. She'd never done that before. The phone was right by the front door. I went in and phoned my nan to see if she knew where my mum was. She said she didn't know but to just go in and watch TV or something til she got home. But, I just couldn't. I wasn't the sort of kid who was scared of the dark or being on my own or anything, but the house just didn't feel 'right'. I sat on the door step til my mum got home about half an hour later. Ghosts? Or me being a little wimp?

Shortly after that, I woke up for school one morning. I had a little clock radio with the digital screen next to my bed. I woke up facing the clock radio, and I opened my eyes and saw the clock It said 6:30-something (I can't remember the exact minutes, let's say it said exactly 6:30). I closed my eyes for about a minute (or what felt like a minute). Opened them again, it said 7:31. Did it again, opened my eyes, it said 8:32. I then leapt out of bed thinking I'd slept in and was going to be late for school. Got dressed, went through to the kitchen. It wasn't even 7am. The hours and minutes were going up at the same time on my clock. Went back to check the clock, the hours were still at 8am, but the minutes were correct. Ghosts messing with my clock? Or a cheapo malfunctioning clock radio? I had that clock radio for another 10 years after that and it never happened again, though the radio part of it stopped working around that time.

My mum claims to have seen lots of things in the house. Apparently figures of small children running across the hallway, but only when she was stood in one of the rooms coming off the hallway. It was a long hall with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom all down one side, and she said you only saw the kid run when you're in the bathroom or the bedrooms and looking at the open doorway, but not when you're actually in the hallway. I once thought I saw something like that, but it was as I had just woken up, so I chalked it up to tiredness. Towards the end of living there, she claims to have been shaken at the shoulders by something during the night for a few nights in a row, which then disappears as she wakes up. Ghosts? Or sleep paralysis?

We finally moved out of that house after a weekend when I was at my dads, and my mum was there by herself. She claimed that she heard a loud smashing sound coming from the kitchen. As in, the sound of lots of things breaking all at once. Plates, bowls, glasses and whatnot. She claimed that she didn't even check what it was, but just ran out of the house. She came to pick me up, and then we sat in the car for 3 hours outside where my step dad worked until he finished. We drove home behind my step dad's car, and when we got back, he went in the house alone. After a few minutes, he came out and said the entire contents of one of the kitchen cupboards was on the kitchen floor. The cupboard door was open, but the cupboard itself was fine. It hadn't come off the wall. Ghosts? Or my mum not liking that house anymore and wanted out?

My granddad had always been fascinated by ghosts and has always been desperate to see one, so he helped us move out. He was a builder and had a van. He brought everything from inside the house to the front door, and me and my mum put it in the van. My granddad didn't see anything unusual when he was in there and he thought my mum was being an idiot.

I still don't know if I believe in ghosts. That house is always For Sale though.

Edited by Soda Jerk

When I was about 5 or 6 my dad was looking after my sisters and I one night. It was late at night, during a storm and there had been a power cut. We were huddled around a candle in one of the bedrooms. My dad left the room to go get a flashlight and whatnot. He had been away a good 10 minutes so we started shouting after him and were all getting a bit scared but he wasn't replying. We figured he'd gone out to the shed.

A few minutes later we heard a sharp bang coming from one of the other bedrooms. We all freaked the fuck out. Then BANG... another one... then another one. Maybe 10 seconds apart, it just kept banging.

It stopped after a while so I stuck my head out the door into the pitch dark and once again shouted for my dad. As soon as I did... BANG. I ran back into the bedroom.

Silence for a while... then I decided I'd be the brave older brother and went out into the lobby and started tip toeing around the house shouting back to my sisters every few seconds saying there was nothing there.

I get to the bedroom where the sound was coming from... slowly creaked open the door and saw two glowing eyes catching the moonlight. I immediately shrieked and legged it back to the bedroom, grabbed my sisters and we all tip toed back into the room to see what the fuck it was...

We turned on the light without looking...

It was my fucking dad playing a joke on us. He was lobbing marbles into a plastic laundry basket! Prick!

• Upvote 8

My late sister swore that she got up one night to go to the toilet, leaned over to switch on the hall light and looked down the stairs as she did. She saw our dad, who had been dead a few years, standing at the bottom of the stairs smiling up at her. A few months later, my brother-in-law was coming home late one evening, drove on to their street and saw the old man walking along with one of our old dogs. What got him was the old man was wearing his kilt at the time. Dad loved his kilt outfit and was buried in it. These both happened when my mother was down in Yorkshire visiting my sis and her family.

Here, my wife swears she saw her dad standing by our sitting room door one evening, it was not long after he passed away and only happened the once..

When we moved into this house in 2003, we kept getting a strong smell of fish being fried in the old way, in animal fat rather than cooking oil. It would sometimes linger for hours. I asked the niece of Walter, the old guy who lived here if he had liked fish, she said he loved it. He lived here for many years before us. One Hogmanay, the smell started around ten in the evening just as we were settling down with a drink. I said laughingly 'For fuck's sake Walter, it's Hogmanay man!' The smell went away in a matter of minutes. Coincidence?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Towards the end of living there, she claims to have been shaken at the shoulders by something during the night for a few nights in a row, which then disappears as she wakes up. Ghosts? Or sleep paralysis?

Dunno about the other stuff, but that sounds precisely like sleep paralysis.

2 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Dunno about the other stuff, but that sounds precisely like sleep paralysis.

The skeptic in me says so as well. Though I've never had that kind of sleep paralysis personally. It's normally the kind where I can't move at all, but nothing is moving me. Thankfully I've very rarely had it.

Still, I want to believe. But I don't think I do. My mum claimed to have had all these experiences, but it always seemed to be when no one else was there.

The local legend where I grew up was The Black Monk of Pontefract. Allegedly, a "demonic poltergeist" had possession over a house in Chequerfield, Pontefract in the late 60s, occupied by the Pritchard family. They even made an indie horror film about it. The Pritchard's named him Fred. He would allegedly tip the contents of the house upside down, bang on the walls and ceilings, and it is suggested he grabbed their daughter by the neck and pulled her up and down the stairs.

My mum, who seems to be the centre of ghostly hokum, used to be a mobile hairdresser, and she'd do Mrs Pritchard's hair at her home, being an elderly lady at this point. She still lived in the same house, saying "He's not as bad as he used to be", and she lived there until she died. She had newspaper clippings of journalists coming to the house and 'experiencing' it. One of the clippings reported that a number of players from the local professional rugby team, Castleford, decided to all go and experience it together, because they're all big tough lads and they ain't afraid of no ghost, and they supposedly all ran away within a few minutes. It was in the paper, so it must be true, right? Ghosts? or FAKE NEWS?

When Mrs Pritchard passed away, the house was bought by the folk making the film. Since making it, they've turned the house in to a ghost-hunters B&B. You can book a stay there, if you want:

http://www.30eastdrive.com

Where I live in Stonehaven, there are several ghosts.

When I was sixteen & camping in the woods, we decided to go ghost hunting in the graveyard in the woods. While we were there, we saw 2 black figures floating in & out between the gravestones. They stopped & spotted us & we bolted from the graveyard. 

Around a year later, we were camping again & decided during the night to up & leave the graveyard. Heading out of the woods, we felt we were being watched & heard footsteps behind us. Looking round quickly we saw no one behind us & the footsteps followed us to the entrance / exit of the woods & stopped. 

There's a graveyard called St. Ciarins Kirkyard & that is a really bad place for hauntings. I've experienced several instances there. Once, during the day, being hit with a gloomy, feeling of sadness & returning at night to only be unable to go into the Graveyard as there was a force keeping the gate shut I spite of the padlock being off. A friend I was with was sick & we went away from the graveyard leaving another friend who was adamant to see the White Lady. A few minutes later he came running back claiming something was on its way down the hill to the graveyard & it was a evil presence he felt. The 3 of us heard horses & ran as the white lady apparently has a Horse & Carriage & is an evil spirit. Another incident from that graveyard came in 2010. Myself & one of the guys who came with me that night went back up there. We began walking down the little road to the graveyard & heard footsteps behind us. We stopped & the footsteps stopped. We continued walking & then I put my hand out to stop him & the footsteps we'd heard behind us walked straight past us. We then walked to sit on the railing beside the bridge & noticed a little girl  walking, my friend was going to check why she was out so late & I noticed the clothing on her was from the 1800s at least, we than saw a dark figure appear & chase her. We left after that. 

2 weeks ago, I went up to Dunnottar Castle & tried to film in the Green Lady's room. My phone switched off & when I stepped outside the room came back on & there was no video to be found. I thought that was pretty freaky. 

• 11 months later...

Good afternoon to introduce myself my name is steve and in the lead investigator in a group called the Buchan paranormal investigators we are a team of amateur investigators based in Peterhead 
we all share a passion and interest in the paranormal we have carried out a few investigations in the Aberdeenshire area and we are always looking for new locations

I have been reading some of the posts on this feed and would be very appreciative if you could make contact with us if you have any strange things or sightings you would like us to investigate

Buchan_paranormal@hotmail.com

• Upvote 2

This is a good thread. (Jake's contribution aside). I've had a lifelong interest in the paranormal, not only ghosts but UFOs, cryptids, mysterious disappearances etc. Last time I saw anything weird was about 10 years ago when I had a flat in Raeden Crescent in Aberdeen. Me and my flatmate and both of our partners on several occasions heard voices coming from the living room when there was no-one in there. My flatmate was sitting on the sofa one night and she heard a noise coming from the other sofa on the other side of the room, a noise like fabric rubbing together, like someone was moving around on the other sofa. Then a couple of weeks later I was sitting watching TV with my girlfriend, we had a glass-topped coffee table, and there was this plastic star thing sitting in the middle of it, and right in front of our eyes the fucking thing just started moving by itself. It slid a couple of inches down the table then stopped. The voices and noises may have just been neighbours or people outside and some kind of weird audio effect, but I've never been able to explain the star. Maybe some sort of vibration but I didn't feel anything. 

• 5 months later...