aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

Dreamt my Nana said bye to me 2 nights before she died of cancer. This was when I was about ten. Dunno if this counts or not.

Worth mentioning me, my family and some friends shelled out to stay in a "haunted" B+B outside of Montrose recently. Got the Ghosthunters crew in too to test for ghosts, with all the fancy machinery and stuff. Was a fucking great night and would recommend it to anyone. If anyone wants the details of the b+b, the company etc pm me. We picked up some scary noises on this ghost recorder thing, they brought a medium in, etc etc.

Obviously to be taken with a pinch of salt (dont say that to them, tho!) but it was so much fun. A fun night out for the family/yer missus etc and an individual sort of present I thought (Dad got it for my sisters xmas). Our medium was a bit of a cock, unfortunately, but otherwise enjoyable.

I think it's a very arrogant viewpoint for human beings to think that science explains absolutely everything. There are still many things we don't understand.

Despite what I said, this is true. Personally though in certain instances I'd rather look for a rational explanation as I can't understand the possibility of something like ghosts existing. I reckon if I experienced something unexplainable then I think my reaction would be to look for a reason for it just to try and get my head round it. Actually, that's not true as I'd probably shite myself and run away.

Even though I'm quite sceptical, I've enjoyed reading all the stories here and some of them are certainly unexplainable. I'm playing the Moorings in a couple of months so maybe I'll be back on this thread with a different viewpoint!

Guest Gladstone
Despite what I said, this is true. Personally though in certain instances I'd rather look for a rational explanation as I can't understand the possibility of something like ghosts existing. I reckon if I experienced something unexplainable then I think my reaction would be to look for a reason for it just to try and get my head round it. Actually, that's not true as I'd probably shite myself and run away.

Even though I'm quite sceptical, I've enjoyed reading all the stories here and some of them are certainly unexplainable. I'm playing the Moorings in a couple of months so maybe I'll be back on this thread with a different viewpoint!

From what I hear, there are loads of unexplainable things happen at Moorings...

And that's just when Teabags is there.

My dad has only told me this story once and he was pissed at the time so it might be shite. When I was 10 my grandfather died, he'd been seriously ill for a long time and had been bedridden for a few months, though he kept trying to get up and go about his business and insist he was OK. This one time my dad and my uncle were round and he was sitting in his chair in the living room and he took a "funny turn". My dad and uncle carried him through to his bed and he died there shortly after. When my dad came through to the living room again, he noticed the clock on the mantlepiece had stopped at the exact moment the old man had taken the funny turn. He had got the clock as a wedding present, and it had sat on the mantlepiece for 50 years, and normally kept great time, but it just completely and suddenly died at that exact moment when he took ill, and would never start working again.

My dad has only told me this story once and he was pissed at the time so it might be shite. When I was 10 my grandfather died, he'd been seriously ill for a long time and had been bedridden for a few months, though he kept trying to get up and go about his business and insist he was OK. This one time my dad and my uncle were round and he was sitting in his chair in the living room and he took a "funny turn". My dad and uncle carried him through to his bed and he died there shortly after. When my dad came through to the living room again, he noticed the clock on the mantlepiece had stopped at the exact moment the old man had taken the funny turn. He had got the clock as a wedding present, and it had sat on the mantlepiece for 50 years, and normally kept great time, but it just completely and suddenly died at that exact moment when he took ill, and would never start working again.

This sounds suspiciously like the lyrics to 'My Grandfather's Clock.' He may have been yanking your chain or just plain out there in sozzlespace.

This sounds suspiciously like the lyrics to 'My Grandfather's Clock.' He may have been yanking your chain or just plain out there in sozzlespace.

Yeah it does and he did that point out himself when he was telling me the story. He actually told me a lot of "family secrets" that night (while pissed on a hotel balcony in Spain), and all the other stories have turned out to be true, so I am inclined to believe that one, though he may have embellished it a little.

St Nicholas House is meant to be haunted...Apparently, there's meant to be an apparition of someone walking into one of the elevators but surprise! When you walk in to said elevator no one is there!

Another one is His Majestys Theater..a stage hand lost their head in a brutal accident and can still be heard in the form of foot steps..etc.

My dad was telling me another story of how he was working in this old house down south, he was the only one in this old run down building that dated back to the 18th century so it had a good chunk of history to it.

So, as the story goes, the doors of this building would slam shut randomally at night and footsteps could be heard running up and down the step.

So according to my dad one day he just shouted "Stop it" and that was the end of it... not really scary but interesting.

But believe in ghosts or not to believe in ghosts I think everyone can agree that there is something that happens. Some folk say it's an "echo" of something traumatic that's happened say,something so awful that it's left an imprint.

What's really fascinating is this White Noise experiment or practice since it seems to be a staple of the ghost hunter arsenal...it's damn creepy a few clips on the youtubes.

I guess if you die and you find yourself floating about you'll get an answer to the question.

I hope this post is a bit more fluent, less rambling and more coherent.

I've seen a couple. One in my house (an old lady) but not seen her for a few years. Another on the hills coming out of Pennan (another old woman) my wife and I both spoke to the women, only for her to disappear 10 seconds later.....weird. Mind you I think she is quite a popular one in those parts, with several people having seen her on the hills.

i used to work in slains and that apparently has its fair share of ghosties.

i occasionally while closing up in the kitchen when upstairs wasnt open did feel a bit like there was something there. i was doing the dishes and out of the corner of my eye there was a big dark shadow over the wall. turned around and nothing there of course but it was enough to make me think 'fuck this shit' and i went downstairs for a few minutes for some banter.

still dont actually believe in all this stuff though.

The power of suggestion is an amazing thing, even if you don't belive it you can still be intimidated by the fact that other people do and say they have seen/felt things like ghosts. Take Teabags for example and look over the rest of this thread:up:.

You could be correct. But how do you explain the fact that I nor my wife had ever heard of a ghost in Pennan? It was told to me later (18months at least) by another person who worked on the pub there.

St Nicholas House is meant to be haunted though...Apparently, there's meant to be an apparition of someone walking into one of the elevators but surprise! When you walk in to said elevator no one is there!

A ghost who has only been in a spirit for 40 years max and hangs about council offices just doesn't sound as spooky.

(snip)

When my mum was a teenager, she used to go and visit a friend of my Grandma's (Mum's mum) called Lilian, and stay over etc etc. Lilian's mum was really unwell for a while, and pretty much on her last legs. Apparently Lilian's mum had always been really fond of my mum when she was growing up etc etc. So, one Monday morning after my Mum had been away visiting Lilian over the weekend, my Mum woke up in the middle of the night, and there was someone standing by her bed, stroking my Mum's hair. Initially, she just instinctively thought it was her own Mum. "What's wrong?" No response. "What's wrong?" No response. So my Mum is shitting it (she can't see who it is because it's pitch dark in the room), she eventually plucks up the courage and jumps out of bed and sticks the light on. Nobody there. She looks at the clock and it's 1.10am. Eventually goes back to sleep with the light on, shitting herself.

She gets up in the morning and tells her mum and dad at the breakfast table who just scoff and tell her she must have been dreaming. The phone then rings, and my Grandma answers, and my mum watches her turning pale. She comes off the phone and says "Lilian's mum died at ten past one this morning"

(/snip)

My dad has a similar experience a few years back (though less of the touching) he was standing by Batemans Tower (Brightlingsea, Essex) looking out over what would normally be the creek, but could see nothing past the railings.

His friend Tim was standing next to him and said we'll be OK Phil, we'll be OK.

He suddenly woke up, looked at the time, 3.30am, went back to sleep thinking nothing of it.

Woke up the next day, went to work as normal, and when he went home for lunch found a message on the answerphone from another friend saying Tim and his family had died at 3.30am that morning in a car crash a few miles from home.

Safe to say this freaked him out. Just a bit.

I feel left out, OK, he's old, but hes got some cool stories of spooky stuff.

I've only seen what i still stand by as being ghost dogs one night next to the church.

How the fuck do 2 Mike Tyson/Labrador cross dogs a) have red eyes (not glowing like folk lore, just red) b) walk through a 6 foot dense hedge without moving it c) walk into a field of 4ft corn and disappear without rustling or moving the corn?

This was a common sighting in Brightlingsea by All Saints Church on Moverons Lane and made it into many books, though i didn't know this until i looked it up years later.

Shealesy

• 4 months later...

I must have missed this the first time round.

Our house had/has a ghost of an old woman in it. I've seen her several times over the years, always standing in the hallway. However, my wife has claimed to have been awoken by her in the living room (on jokes) when the supper was on, and just about to catch fire.

We both also spoke to a old women walking the hills around Pennan. My dog went apeshit when she approched. I held the dog until the woman went round the corner out of sight. I let the dog off the lead for it to run round the corner. When I went to catch the dog, the woman was nowhere to be seen. Couple years later a friend of mine who used to work ni the pub in Pennan was talking to another friend when I heard her talking about the old woman ghost.

When I stayed in Peterhead as a youngster, during the night I used to see a shadow of a short guy standing at the window. It used to freak me out. about 15 years later on we were having aparty at the doorstairs neighbours house and got talking about the folk that had stayed in the house before us our neighbour told a story about a young boy falling out my bedroom window.

• 8 months later...

The "Paranormal" Thread

I'm into all this paranormal phenomenon stuff like ghosts, poltergeists and UFO's but although i've never seen anything to reinforce my beliefs, i have heard stories from friends and family which are interesting.

Long story short, anybody out there have any stories about seeing something "unexplainable"

during their lives, at their home, in a pub, in a hotel, wherever?

What's your evidence for this?

Ok, maybe I was a little quick off the mark there. But a lot of ghost stories turn out to be just that, stories. And don't get me started on Most Haunted. If you're gonna get someone to pretend to talk to ghosts at least get someone that can act.

And Scooby Doo, he showed us it's never a ghoul, but a pedophile in a mask.

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
Ok, maybe I was a little quick off the mark there. But a lot of ghost stories turn out to be just that, stories. And don't get me started on Most Haunted. If you're gonna get someone to pretend to talk to ghosts at least get someone that can act.

And Scooby Doo, he showed us it's never a ghoul, but a pedophile in a mask.

I think it's generally agreed that shows like Most Haunted merit no creedence at all, and they have pretty much been debunked and categorised purely as entertainment and nothing more. It also doesn't help that the basic human need to be special, different, or outstanding generates a lot of attention-seeking fabrications.

But until there is hard evidence to disprove the existence of ghosts, the afterlife, the Spirit World, or anything remotely paranormal, then I have no reason to believe that it is impossible for these things to exist. To my ears, eyes, and comprehension there is considerably more evidence to suggest that these things are possible, rather than impossible.