aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

scottish hauntings, shades and spirits - from the paranormal database

Victorian Lady

Type: Haunting Manifestation

Date / Time: Unknown

Further Comments: This phantasmic female figure has been observed on the landing of the hotel.

White Lady

Further Comments: The daughter of a previous owner, this shade is thought to have returned after the girl's suicide.

Pensioner

Type: SHC

Date / Time: 19 February 1888

Further Comments: The remains of an aging soldier were discovered in a barn along this road; much of the body had been reduced to ash, though the face was recognisable. The bales of straw that surrounded him had failed to catch fire.

Hooded Figure

Location: Aberdeen - Grassy area near a bus stop on the Kincorthland Estate

Date / Time: 1 January 1970, 05:45h

Further Comments: A cloaked, hooded and masked phantom figure was seen in the early hours of the morning by a woman walking to the bus stop on her way to work. She felt an overwhelming urge to approach the entity, which dissolved like mist and vanished into the grass.

Jake

Date / Time: Pre 1982, and 2006

Further Comments: A former stage hand who was decapitated in an accident at the theatre prior to World War 2, Jake disappeared after building work was completed in 1982. However, when renovation work started again, contractors began to report the sound of someone in high heels walking around empty areas of the theatre.

Officer

Location: Aberdeen - King Street, former Barracks (currently Grampian Transport?)

Date / Time: Twentieth century

Further Comments: A Captain with the Gordon Highlanders, this officer lost his bottle prior to being shipped overseas and took his own life. His ghost remains trapped within the building.

Silhouette

Location: Aberdeen - Old Fire Station, King Street (now student accommodation)

Date / Time: February 2006

Further Comments: A former student who stayed here recalled how a silhouetted figure walked towards him as he stood in the shower - the witness jumped out of the way, injuring his heal. A couple of months later the student was told that the building was reputedly haunted.

Orange Lights

Type: UFO

Date / Time: July 2006

Further Comments: A number of reports of strange lights have been recorded during 2006. one family observed six orange lights hovering in the sky before appearing to disintegrate.

Naked Man

Type: Unknown Ghost Type

Date / Time: Early twentieth century

Further Comments: This unclothed ghost hammered at the windows of the hotel for the period of a week. When finally spotted and approached, he floated away leaving no footprints in freshly laid snow.

Large Purple Fingers

Date / Time: 1970s

Further Comments: Three schoolchildren reported seeing three strange purple fingers with long black nails, unnaturally long, emerging from the cathedral door. They ran.

Going Down

Date / Time: July 1998

Further Comments: Two council workers watched a dark haired lady enter a lift, but when they also stepped inside a few seconds later, she had vanished.

The Clencher

Further Comments: Many people have reported feeling this entity grab their arms or legs, holding on for several seconds before letting go. It is believed to be a little girl who died violently nearby.

Indian Child

Further Comments: This young Indian girl manifested and stood by a guest in the hotel who was dying of fever - the nurse who saw the ghost said it had terrible injuries on the neck, so severe that she fainted. When the nurse regained consciousness, the strange little girl had gone and the patient was dead.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

The sounds of a lone piper can be heard around the ruins of Gight Castle.

On May 31st each year, the ghost of a Mrs. Wallace walks/glides down Union Street. Good luck spotting her if it's a Saturday...

Not a ghost story as such, but only children should be careful around the Brig O' Balgownie because of the following poem:

Brig O' Balgownie, black's yer wa'

Wi' a wife's only son and a mare's only foal,

Down ye shall fa'.

It's possible that these stories are a load of absolute bollocks, but I have read about them.

:up:

My old work has a ghost.

I used to work out at Blairs College on the South Deeside Road.

CREEPY place.

I remember one night I was the only person left in the building. I kept hearing footsteps outside my office door, but everytime I went out and looked, no-one was there.

This happened to several people when they had been in the office themselves.

Another guy, thought the boss had come back into his office, later at night. Heard the door open and close and a big bang.... went through and no-one was in the room.

Nice place to work......

Guest idol_wild

Good post, french_disko. Some of them I'd read about before actually. There's apparently a hooded figure walks around the Castlegate area and disappears into thin air.

Any more personal experiences, people?

My old manager told me about a Ouiji Board experience she had as a teenager which was pretty freaky...

Basically, her and her mates were all round at a party and they took out a Ouiji board. The cup started moving to spell out something along the lines of "Danny's father". There was a kid in the room who wasn't participating in the Ouiji board called Danny, but both his parents were alive. It kept spelling out "Danny's father"; and Danny left the room obviously upset. My manager went out to speak to him, and Danny told her that both his parents died in a car accident when he was very young. He got adopted, and had never told anyone about it. No-one at the party knew he was adopted.

I totally believe in ghosts, and love hearing these stories.

scottish hauntings, shades and spirits - from the paranormal database

Victorian Lady

Further Comments: This phantasmic female figure has been observed on the landing of the hotel.

White Lady

Further Comments: The daughter of a previous owner, this shade is thought to have returned after the girl's suicide.

Pensioner

Type: SHC

Date / Time: 19 February 1888

Further Comments: The remains of an aging soldier were discovered in a barn along this road; much of the body had been reduced to ash, though the face was recognisable. The bales of straw that surrounded him had failed to catch fire.

Hooded Figure

Location: Aberdeen - Grassy area near a bus stop on the Kincorthland Estate

Date / Time: 1 January 1970, 05:45h

Further Comments: A cloaked, hooded and masked phantom figure was seen in the early hours of the morning by a woman walking to the bus stop on her way to work. She felt an overwhelming urge to approach the entity, which dissolved like mist and vanished into the grass.

Jake

Date / Time: Pre 1982, and 2006

Further Comments: A former stage hand who was decapitated in an accident at the theatre prior to World War 2, Jake disappeared after building work was completed in 1982. However, when renovation work started again, contractors began to report the sound of someone in high heels walking around empty areas of the theatre.

Officer

Location: Aberdeen - King Street, former Barracks (currently Grampian Transport?)

Further Comments: A Captain with the Gordon Highlanders, this officer lost his bottle prior to being shipped overseas and took his own life. His ghost remains trapped within the building.

Silhouette

Location: Aberdeen - Old Fire Station, King Street (now student accommodation)

Date / Time: February 2006

Further Comments: A former student who stayed here recalled how a silhouetted figure walked towards him as he stood in the shower - the witness jumped out of the way, injuring his heal. A couple of months later the student was told that the building was reputedly haunted.

Orange Lights

Type: UFO

Date / Time: July 2006

Further Comments: A number of reports of strange lights have been recorded during 2006. one family observed six orange lights hovering in the sky before appearing to disintegrate.

Naked Man

Date / Time: Early twentieth century

Further Comments: This unclothed ghost hammered at the windows of the hotel for the period of a week. When finally spotted and approached, he floated away leaving no footprints in freshly laid snow.

Large Purple Fingers

Date / Time: 1970s

Further Comments: Three schoolchildren reported seeing three strange purple fingers with long black nails, unnaturally long, emerging from the cathedral door. They ran.

Going Down

Date / Time: July 1998

Further Comments: Two council workers watched a dark haired lady enter a lift, but when they also stepped inside a few seconds later, she had vanished.

The Clencher

Further Comments: Many people have reported feeling this entity grab their arms or legs, holding on for several seconds before letting go. It is believed to be a little girl who died violently nearby.

Indian Child

Further Comments: This young Indian girl manifested and stood by a guest in the hotel who was dying of fever - the nurse who saw the ghost said it had terrible injuries on the neck, so severe that she fainted. When the nurse regained consciousness, the strange little girl had gone and the patient was dead.

are you taking those names from the kama sutra? :D

Marj at the Lemon Tree used to say it was haunted by some old Captain or something, and if you rang the bell in "the Chapel" (often used as a dressing room - the one with the commemorative plaque, stained glass window & piano in it) it would summon and anger him and stuff would go missing etc. Not sure I believe in ghost but I like the stories.

My old work the Holiday Inn next door to the AECC is reputedly haunted. There was a guest died about 10 years ago of a heart on the 5th floor and wasn't found for a few days. These days a lot of the people who stay in that room or around that room complain when they're checking out that they couldn't sleep for the noise of all the banging coming from the room above them. Thing is, that's the top floor and all there is above it is an empty attic storeroom with some old carpets in it. Course, we never told them that.... I never saw anything myself but one of the housekeepers said she saw a man walk into that room behind her one time and come at her, when she screamed and turned round there was no-one there. I used to hate doing the 2am floor checks on that floor..... If anyone's feeling brave spend Halloween in room 518 at the Holiday Inn!

Once in an old flat of mine on Urquhart road, me and my flatmate were leaving the flat to go home for Christmas - my flatmate was leaving earlier as he had further to go so I asked him to wake me before he left.

I awoke myself to a dark room with a face up close to mine - I thought 'fuckin weirdo, he could have put the light on' thinking it was my flatmate. Right after I awoke, it slowly rose and moved backward toward the door, disappearing through the door right before my flatmate knocked and came in...

I got dressed quickly and left soon after.

A similar incident happened when I stayed in St Peter St flats (opposite the bus station, incidentally). I awoke in the middle of the night to see someone sitting on the chair in my room. Again I thought it was my flatmate being strange but it slowly got up, and continued to rise through the roof.

And one time whilst on holiday in Lanzarote I woke up in the middle of the night to see a male figure dressed in 1800's army gear stood at the end of my bed. I fuckin cacked it that time and slept with the light on for the rest of the holiday!

I also heard whispering in the gents toilets in Drakes on the Castlegate when no-one else was in there.

The Wine Tower in Fraserburgh harbour has a good ghost story:

The Ghost Story Of Kinnaird Castle

Sir Alexander Fraser had a daughter called Isobel who he didn't let mix with local people. When her father was away on business she took in a stranger who was a piper that sought shelter from a snowstorm. They got to talking late into the night and when he left in the morning, they knew they had fallen in love. They would meet in secret, but unfortunately Sir Alexander found out about them and forbade them to meet. The couple arranged another tryst which Sir Alexander found out about and locked Isobel in her room. He then met her lover and locked him in chains in a cave below the Wine Tower of the Castle. Unfortunately a storm broke and swept the sea into the cave, drowning her lover. The next day Sir Alexander intended to take Isobel to the cave so that her lover would be beaten down to renounce any desires of marriage. Sir Alexander did not realise he had drowned. When he took Isobel to the cave, she ran in and found her lover dead and still locked in chains. Horrified and distressed she ran to the Tower and flung herself off and onto the rocks below. The cave thereafter became known as The Piper's Cave and the ghost of the piper can be heard playing for Isobel. Whenever a storm gathers up a ghostly figure can be seen wandering between the Castle and the Wine Tower.

The big white bit (now a lighthouse is the castle), the funny square bit is the Wine Tower, you can just about see the cave at the bottom of th epicture but the rocks go further down quite a bit.

1%20lighthouse%20and%20wine%20tower%202004.jpg

These 4 places can't all be haunted...it must be YOU that's haunted, woooooooh!

Once in an old flat of mine on Urquhart road, me and my flatmate were leaving the flat to go home for Christmas - my flatmate was leaving earlier as he had further to go so I asked him to wake me before he left.

I awoke myself to a dark room with a face up close to mine - I thought 'fuckin weirdo, he could have put the light on' thinking it was my flatmate. Right after I awoke, it slowly rose and moved backward toward the door, disappearing through the door right before my flatmate knocked and came in...

I got dressed quickly and left soon after.

A similar incident happened when I stayed in St Peter St flats (opposite the bus station, incidentally). I awoke in the middle of the night to see someone sitting on the chair in my room. Again I thought it was my flatmate being strange but it slowly got up, and continued to rise through the roof.

And one time whilst on holiday in Lanzarote I woke up in the middle of the night to see a male figure dressed in 1800's army gear stood at the end of my bed. I fuckin cacked it that time and slept with the light on for the rest of the holiday!

I also heard whispering in the gents toilets in Drakes on the Castlegate when no-one else was in there.

The Green Lady of Crathes Castle and various other ghosties employed by the National Trust for Scotland to lure tourists to castles:

Trust Ghosts

My Mum reckons Inchmarlo Nursing Home by Banchory is haunted. She used to work there and says the staff would hear funny noises, a whole battalion of spooky soldiers were seen on the grounds, radios would turn themselves on and the old folk would talk about people that weren't there. Of course the old folk were mostly suffering some form of senile dementia so it's hard to tell.....

Me and my family once saw 2 white figures at a distance on a French country road which seemed to disappear into nothing.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My house is making funny noises now 8o

Maybe I just see dead people...

Maybe (like the Sixth Sense) YOU'RE dead, but you don't know it yet?:down:

A long, long time ago my then girlfriend shared a flat in Granton Place with a nurse who kept hearing the noise of someone turning pages of a book, when she was the only one there. Eventually she went to the Psychic Research folk (used to be somewhere near the Adelphi, I think), and was spooked when they told her her upstairs neighbour had been to them the previous week, complaining about the same thing.

She was told the block of flats used to be owned by the convent next door, and that supposedly a nun had hanged herself.

I was sometimes on my own there, but all I ever heard were her guinea pigs scratching about.

I also remember Shawn the Ox telling me that one of the flats on Hoburn Street, near Holburn Junction was supposed to be haunted. It was round about number 25 I think.

An ex-neighbour of mine worked at the bus depot in King Street (mentioned earlier) and told me had seen a soldier walk through walls there more than once (where an old doorway had been blocked off).

Heap of shite, IMO :)

Marj at the Lemon Tree used to say it was haunted by some old Captain or something, and if you rang the bell in "the Chapel" (often used as a dressing room - the one with the commemorative plaque, stained glass window & piano in it) it would summon and anger him and stuff would go missing etc. Not sure I believe in ghost but I like the stories.

I told Jo Foster (playing here again soon!) that local superstition had it that if you rang that bell, somewhere a local child died!

She was somewhat freaked when I then gleefully rang the bell a heap of times! (this was after a few beers, of course!)

Elwood's post about Kinnaird Castle reminds about the old White Horse hotel just outside of Strichen (a little village 8 miles from the Broch). Legend has it that a Christmas party was held there during World War II and a woman (known as the White Lady) was jilted by her boyfriend who had been sent back from battle in France because of injury. Upon his return he told her that he had every intention of going back to France cos he shacked up with some girl there. Distraught, the women climbed the stairs to the top of the hotel and threw herself off. Me and a bunch of mates went up there when we were maybe 11 or 12 because local legend said that you could still hear her crying and, at Xmas, see her. The biulding is largely a ruin but the room the White Lady was supposed to have been staying is still fairly intact. Myself and my mate Elphie decided to check it out while our other mates pussied out. And guess what? Just we were about to enter the room, we heard moaning and immediately jumped out of a near by window, landing in some nettles. To get back to Strichen from the White Horse Hotel you have to go through a large wooded area which is normally a fairly nice walk but on this day, all the way through the woods we heard a woman/girl manicly crying. Shrieking even. Seriously. There were 8 or 9 of us and we all heard it. It was pretty scary.

My friend John's rationale behind the cause of the whole episode was fantastic in both it's idiocy and simplicity: "Maybe it was a distressed sheep".

freakiest thing i've seen is in "the grumps" in torry, few years ago when i was about 14/15, we were bored one saturday night, not having anything to do at 14/15, me and about 5 others decided to go walking in "the grumps" in the pitch black. As if that's not bad enough as soon as we entered through the cut part of the fence we looked up the hill and theres was this really bright white 'thing' about 6-7 feet tall floating a few feet off the ground beside the big tree at the top of the hill. We all shit ourselves and sprinted all the way through the industrial estate and back into torry.

that was some scary shit i can tell ye

Elwood's post about Kinnaird Castle reminds about the old White Horse hotel just outside of Strichen (a little village 8 miles from the Broch). Legend has it that a Christmas party was held there during World War II and a woman (known as the White Lady) was jilted by her boyfriend who had been sent back from battle in France because of injury. Upon his return he told her that he had every intention of going back to France cos he shacked up with some girl there. Distraught, the women climbed the stairs to the top of the hotel and threw herself off. Me and a bunch of mates went up there when we were maybe 11 or 12 because local legend said that you could still hear her crying and, at Xmas, see her. The biulding is largely a ruin but the room the White Lady was supposed to have been staying is still fairly intact. Myself and my mate Elphie decided to check it out while our other mates pussied out. And guess what? Just we were about to enter the room, we heard moaning and immediately jumped out of a near by window, landing in some nettles. To get back to Strichen from the White Horse Hotel you have to go through a large wooded area which is normally a fairly nice walk but on this day, all the way through the woods we heard a woman/girl manicly crying. Shrieking even. Seriously. There were 8 or 9 of us and we all heard it. It was pretty scary.

My friend John's rationale behind the cause of the whole episode was fantastic in both it's idiocy and simplicity: "Maybe it was a distressed sheep".

I love these stories... anymore James??

there's a small little house along beside the rocks at nigg bay. It could only be two/three rooms big.

Anyway the story goes that years and years ago there was a couple that moved into this little house. When they moved in they decorated the house and when they had finished decorating it these scratches appeared along the north wall, they decorated over these long scratches, but yet again the scratches appeared.

Eerily enough there are scratches on the walls of you go down and have a look.

Last time i went (years ago) they were fairly clear scratches on the north wall. Anybody been recently maybe?

anybody had any experiences involving a recurring spirit/entity?

i was stayin at my m8s flat on holburn street after a night out, so i was asleep on their sofa when i heard the door open, it was still dark but i instantly thought it was just someone gettin something so didnt take much notice until i heard no other movements at all. feelin a bit freaked out i sat up and looked about the room, the door was open but nothin was there.i went back to sleep. The next day my m8 came through and said he'd had a fuckin scary dream and i was in it, that he'd seen me lieing sleeping on the sofa and a tall guy dressed in a long jacket and a top hat came in and stood over me watching me sleep, he saw me sit up and look about and the figure somehow managed to hide behind the arm of the sofa, then he saw me lay back down and go to sleep and the figure moved back to where it was and just watched me sleep. Now i hadnt even mentioned the fact id heard the door open or anything so it was seriously fucked up. We did a ouiji board and it spelt out TH before we heard a bang in the next room and shat it. we now call him Top Hat man. he was also seen during an acid trip in that flat, and this chick said she saw him in my bedroom a few years ago. theories are that he's my watcher/spirit guide/curse lol