aberdeen-music

Budz bar no more!

Ian_Brown

As some of you may know budz bar has been closed down. I haven't been in a while but it's a shame!

It was a bit rough in fairness but it wans't all that bad. I used to go there quite a bit on student nights for the cheap 69p drinks and also saw a lot of top acts at the weekend like Rob Tissera, Tidy Boys, Lisa Pin UP etc.

I'm do quite like a bit of hard dance when i'm out and it's a shame that there's nowhere left now. Drum's now Kobe as well.

I'm sure most of you will be happy but I had a lot of laughs in there (and some overly crazy nights) :up:

Aberdeen has a severe lack of clubs with proper dj's.

Here's to snafu and Kef I suppose.

It was a shit-hole like, I won't miss it. Tho it's not as bad as Bex Bar. That's a hell hole.

Does anyone have a link to the "Thriller" videos with all the ming-pots from the Budz Bar website? That was funny as fuck.

Agreed about the lack of decent club DJs in Abdn, with the exception of Snafu/Number 5 there isn't a whole lot for those of us that like da dance moosic. Chart pish chart pish and more chart pish.

I'm sure people have tried. The Ministry used to have some decent nights but it's gone and got all commercial and pish now. Kef do D'n'B and techno nights but I'm not really into DnB or techno. I like a bit of house or trance myself. Drum is a little to hard house for my pallete. A little bit of Ibiza here in Aberdeen would suit me just fine, just now it's either chart dance or rock for nightclubs.

i'm actually quite upset, it's nice to know which places to avoid on a night out. now the folk from budz might wander into pubs i like.

went there a couple of times and it was fucking awful, up there with jumpin jacks.

I agree. At least it served to keep those bams out of other places. Don't mind a good club of its sort occasionally but it has been a very long time since I could describe any night there as any sort of good.

Speaking of closures, what happened to ICI? Seemed not too long after its renovation.

I agree. At least it served to keep those bams out of other places. Don't mind a good club of its sort occasionally but it has been a very long time since I could describe any night there as any sort of good.

Speaking of closures, what happened to ICI? Seemed not too long after its renovation.

Ici's shut down? That's one of those places that's in a prime spot and which I walk past virtually every time I'm on a night out but I never bother going in to. It doesn't really have anything to make it stand out. Mediocre food, mediocre music, mediocre everything really. It coud be a big success being as it's on one of the busiest parts of Union St.

Guest Neutral

Ask the licensing board:up:

Ici's shut down? That's one of those places that's in a prime spot and which I walk past virtually every time I'm on a night out but I never bother going in to. It doesn't really have anything to make it stand out.

Yes. It was a pretty revolutionary place for Aberdeen in its heyday but had sunk into a long slow decline. In some ways, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

The for sale/lease signs were up late last week on Ici so if it is to reopen, it will probably be with new management/licencee? Although it would be nice to see those guys getting back their local, as I wouldn't want to run into them anywhere else.

Dunno about that place at the harbour, last time I was dragged down there turned into a distinctly unsettling experience.

Guest Neutral
Has anyone been in the bar "Characters" down the harbour? It actually looks quite nice from the outside but being that it's at the harbour it's probasbly full of rapists and stuff. I fancy giving it a look some time.

Characters and the Neptune are two of the best bars down that end of the harbour

I used to live above Characters (before that it was The Glenlivet). Does look really nice inside, a lot nicer than when it was The Glenlivet, but I never went in because:

A)there looked some dodgers in there that probably wouldn't like me

B)me and some mates once got wasted and started shooting coke bottles off my window ledge, forgetting it was right above the pubs door.

C)Most importantly, The Moorings is 2 minutes up the road.

Has anyone been in the bar "Characters" down the harbour? It actually looks quite nice from the outside but being that it's at the harbour it's probasbly full of rapists and stuff. I fancy giving it a look some time.

Had a harbour run a few months back and Characters was one of the best bars down there, along with the Crown and Anchor. Yes, I like The Moorings too, but the crowd I was with weren't interested in live music.

My mate swears that Characters is a gay bar, but I just think he made that assumption because it was "nice" and also they had Eurovision on. Mini tellys on the beer taps too, never seen that before.