aberdeen-music

New Order.

Lemonade

Maybe they're one of those bands that you need to sit and listen to a whole studio album rather than random selected tracks, like Pink Floyd. Imagine a Pink Floyd greatest hits. That would be shit. I love Pink Floyd, but if I was introduced to them by listening to varied tracks instead of the Whole of Dark Side Of The Moon or Atom Heart Mother or Wish You Were Here I don't think I would get it - to me thier albums are completely one piece of work and you couldn't break up the tracks.

Or maybe New Order just aren't that good.

The first 4 albums are all really good then they got a bit crap other than odd singles.

The first two albums are just sub-Joy Division. I think they got better after that, but as far as I'm concerned they are more of a singles band. And Barney isn't just a bad lyricist, he's a bad singer too, but it doesn't really matter when they have great singles, from Temptation to Crystal. I reckon it's hard to appreciate how pioneering they were too.

Guest idol_wild

As a New Order fan, I can readily admit that they have produced a fair amount of utter guff. But if you write songs like "Crystal", "True Faith", "Temptation"; and produce an album as good as Brotherhood, then all the guff can be forgiven.

The last album was an embarrassment, however.

i really liked the last album - in fact the only album of theirs i never got was 'republic' top band but i agree about barney's lyrics and singing but it adds to the charm of them i think.

he does come out with some classics e.g. from electronic's 'getting away with it' 'ive been walking in the rain just to get wet on purpose' then we could go into new order spin off projects.... actually i really like revenge and i have just got my coat.

Blue Monday was and still is a great song and still is even some of the remixes are good and I'm not normally one for liken remixes of old songs.

If you do like joy division etc we have a band who have been compared to them playing in tunnels on the 2nd nov... MySpace.com - Luxury Car - Edinburgh/Glasgow/Perth, UK - Electronica / Alternative / Pop - www.myspace.com/luxurycar

I'm not familiar with Joy D so couldn't say!

he does come out with some classics e.g. from electronic's 'getting away with it' 'ive been walking in the rain just to get wet on purpose' then we could go into new order spin off projects.... actually i really like revenge and i have just got my coat.

A friend of mine got a drink poured over her in a student union in the early 90s when she went up to a guy wearing an Electronic tshirt and sang "I've been liking crap bands, all my life - getting away with it."

Bit harsh I thought.

No mention of True Faith? Or John Barnes' "rapping"?

A friend of mine got a drink poured over her in a student union in the early 90s when she went up to a guy wearing an Electronic tshirt and sang "I've been liking crap bands, all my life - getting away with it."

Bit harsh I thought.

No mention of True Faith? Or John Barnes' "rapping"?

apparently gazza was meant to do the rapping bit in world in motion. i think hooky should have sung more songs 'dreams never end' would be in my top 5 new order songs.

in hindsight they should probably have permanently split up after technique

and the thought of sumner and morris carrying on without hooky is one too many member lost i feel

in hindsight they should probably have permanently split up after technique

But if they'd done that, we never would have got 'Regret', which is arguably their best song. Republic isn't a great album, but there are some gems hidden on it, the live version of 'Everyone Everywhere' was quite good IMO.

On the topic of the side projects: only the third Electronic album gets any regular rotation by me, Monaco had a couple of decent singles, but not much else.....

But if they'd done that, we never would have got 'Regret', which is arguably their best song. Republic isn't a great album, but there are some gems hidden on it, the live version of 'Everyone Everywhere' was quite good IMO.

On the topic of the side projects: only the third Electronic album gets any regular rotation by me, Monaco had a couple of decent singles, but not much else.....

regret has never been a fave of mine - i think they've done some decent stuff post technique dont get me wrong but nothing as good as their 80's output when, for me, they did nothing wrong. in fact i cannot think of a bad song they did in the 80's

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shavedslap

curtiss made the best career move

if curtiss hadn't died his career would have and we wouldn't have been subjected to new order's drivel for all of these years....... if only.....