aberdeen-music

ticket prices

fatboy

the black crusade at the secc, 5 bands, 5 crews to feed and pay - 25

meatloaf, at he secc, 2 bands, 2 crews to feed and pay 37.50 - 45

your theory doesn't explain why meatloaf is more expensive

No one's mentioned fees. Metallica will charge you $1,000,000 if you book them, but my band will play for a few beers...

That's prettymuch it. Led Zep charge more because they can. So Stripey's right. But they probably have more crew too.

No one's mentioned fees. Metallica will charge you $1,000,000 if you book them, but my band will play for a few beers...

That's prettymuch it. Led Zep charge more because they can. So Stripey's right. But they probably have more crew too.

Yeah, I mentioned fees. You get some bands who ask for ridiculous fees, but a lot of the time they simply won't get them if the promoter can't cover the costs and/or make money - this even goes for small bands, too.

Meatloaf has been considered a rock legend thanks to teh fact that his Album bat out of hell is one of teh best selling albums of all time so they will sell him for as much as they can cause they know they are almost certain of a sell out just because of teh name. The other band you mentioned is lesser known. You have to be into the scene before you would reconise them. so because hey know there not sure it will be sell out stuff they keep ticket prices lower to drag people in. Thats why and ye I do agree it is wrong

why would it cost more to run a show for a more popular band than a less popular one,

only source of income????, they have merchandise, cd sales, royalties, tv stuff, magazine stories and interveiws,

please add more if i missed anyout

Have you seen the touring set up for the Meat Loaf gig ? There's pyrotechnics, inflatable band members, lights, many costume changes, grand piano's etc, it's obviously going to cost more than a band who just comes on and does the gig and get's off. The reason that bands charge different prices is simple, bands are different they have different setups that have to be paid for.

How come your Meat Loaf ticket cost 50 btw mine was 37.50 :)

i was in the bahamas last week and at the place i was staying maroon 5 were playing.

i wasnt even going to go when i thought it was free,but it turned out the cheapest seats were $175 anging to $300.

amy whinehouse is playing there soon too,who honestly would pay that kinda cash to see either of those acts.

The prices of the Black Crusade is high enough as it is. Meatloaf is taking the piss.

I reckon the biggest bands have more expensive gigs is becuase they can. They don't really need any more fans and are probably going to sell an acceptable number of tickets reguardless of what they charge for the rest of their lifetimes.

Less established bands want fans to bring a friend to their gig and then tell 10 of their friends how great it was. They then charge less as it is in their interest to do.

It is ludicrous that you pay more for a bigger gig where you effectively see less.

Most of these 'arena' gigs are ran by clear channel in the UK, which is an evil company.

On a simialr note, very few of the major festivals in the UK now are run by anything other than a big organisation whose foremost interest is to make money.

Outdoor festivals are also ridiculously overpriced in the UK. You wont find festivals in mainland europe charging 150 for a weekend ticket. I even remember in 2001, reading festival was ~60 for a weekend ticket and the prices have increased drasticly since then.

on note of production, riders etc.

yes, this adds costs whcih eventually make their way to ticket prices but when you play an arena with 5000-1000 people, this doesn't justify charging each person 40.

i was in the bahamas last week and at the place i was staying maroon 5 were playing.

i wasnt even going to go when i thought it was free,but it turned out the cheapest seats were $175 anging to $300.

amy whinehouse is playing there soon too,who honestly would pay that kinda cash to see either of those acts.

Yeah, I think shows like that are aimed at people on holiday who want to 'splash out,' it's the same with shows in Las Vegas. I'm sure a lot of the same people who'd pay that on holiday wouldn't when at home.

The prices of the Black Crusade is high enough as it is. Meatloaf is taking the piss.

I reckon the biggest bands have more expensive gigs is becuase they can. They don't really need any more fans and are probably going to sell an acceptable number of tickets reguardless of what they charge for the rest of their lifetimes.

Less established bands want fans to bring a friend to their gig and then tell 10 of their friends how great it was. They then charge less as it is in their interest to do.

It is ludicrous that you pay more for a bigger gig where you effectively see less.

Most of these 'arena' gigs are ran by clear channel in the UK, which is an evil company.

On a simialr note, very few of the major festivals in the UK now are run by anything other than a big organisation whose foremost interest is to make money.

Outdoor festivals are also ridiculously overpriced in the UK. You wont find festivals in mainland europe charging 150 for a weekend ticket. I even remember in 2001, reading festival was ~60 for a weekend ticket and the prices have increased drasticly since then.

on note of production, riders etc.

yes, this adds costs whcih eventually make their way to ticket prices but when you play an arena with 5000-1000 people, this doesn't justify charging each person 40.

Major festivals are run as a money making business? Whoa!

Most of these 'arena' gigs are ran by clear channel in the UK, which is an evil company./QUOTE]

Wrong and well, wrong. They haven't been ever been 'ran' by Clear Channel - they were actually taken over in 2005 by a company that was owned by MCD and Clear Channel - and Clear Channel spun off their live entertainment division in the same year to form Live Nation, who are the current holders of the former Clear Channel stake. I'm not sure what holding MCD might hold these days - but to say they're ran by Clear Channel is a huge mistake.

But you forget, the more they charge, the more the bands will charge too - are you realistically suggesting that the price for someone to headline Reading hasn't jumped considerably since the current era of festivals began?

Roskilde is 138 for 2007 - and that's considering they donate the profits to good causes.

Wrong and well, wrong. They haven't been ever been 'ran' by Clear Channel - they were actually taken over in 2005 by a company that was owned by MCD and Clear Channel - and Clear Channel spun off their live entertainment division in the same year to form Live Nation, who are the current holders of the former Clear Channel stake. I'm not sure what holding MCD might hold these days - but to say they're ran by Clear Channel is a huge mistake.

I was correct in principle and reading the above statement I cannot decifer where I am actually wrong. They still are part of Clear Channel in some form or another.

But you forget, the mor they charge, the more the bands will charge too - are you realistically suggesting that the price for someone to headline Reading hasn't jumped considerably since the current era of festivals began?

Roskilde is 138 for 2007 - and that's considering they donate the profits to good causes.

Denmark isn't entirely in mainland Europe for a start. It is also one of the more expensive countries to live in and I suspect run a festival in. Also Rosklide is a far bigger and more diverse festival than any in the UK. They have a huge list of high profile quality bands on their website. Donating money to charity excuses charging a high price. Glastonbury are the main major festival in the UK that do this in a big way, as far as I am aware.

However, in mainland Europe i.e Germany, there is more competition and festivals cost a fraction of the price that they are in the UK. This is also true across most of mainland Europe.

I really have no idea how the price for booking 'super bands' has changed. I suspect the prices have risen for most in recent years, simply becuase they can and live music has sort of been concidered 'in fashion'. Still, when these bands are booked to headline festivals in Germany, they don't tend to charge as much for admission.

I was correct in principle and reading the above statement I cannot decifer where I am actually wrong. They still are part of Clear Channel in some form or another.

They're not part of Clear Channel *at all*. They are an independent company, with ownership held by a vast variety of institutional funds and others. They're also listed as a public company on the NYSE. A bit of research wouldn't go amiss before posting statements as fact.

It is also one of the more expensive countries to live in and I suspect run a festival in. Also Rosklide is a far bigger and more diverse festival than any in the UK. They have a huge list of high profile quality bands on their website.

Far bigger? I've found references to around 80,000 on the internet - and TITP has a licence for 80,000 these days. Considering Glastonbury has a licence for almost double that, Roskilde is hardly "far bigger". Again, basic fact checking wouldn't go amiss here.

However, in mainland Europe i.e Germany, there is more competition and festivals cost a fraction of the price that they are in the UK. This is also true across most of mainland Europe.

A fraction of the price? Wacken is about 70, and it doesn't look to be particularly good value so far - and remeber, given the economic state of Germany at the minute, it's unlikely they could sustain significantly higher prices for festivals. It's all a matter of supply and demand, ultimately.

I remeber reading a while ago that Ticketmaster were considering selling tickets on an auction-style system, where tickets would go for what people were willing to pay for them. It would be an interesting model for guaranteed sell out gigs - but ultimately, higher prices would be the matter of the day.

i wasn't trying to say a gig should be a fiver, i was just stating that i think its wrong to charge different amounts at the same venue for different acts because of their influence or popularity, it ain't fair on bands who aren't as popular as the others

you should re-read your paragraph again because i don't think you realize what you said there...

Well, not only is Meat Loaf pricey, but it also seems that after paying your fifty quid he walks offstage part way through the gig and says he's never going to perform again.

Meat Loaf cuts short Newcastle gig - Today's Chronicle - News - ChronicleLive

Meat Loaf cuts short Newcastle gig

Nov 1 2007 by Gordon Barr, Evening Chronicle

ROCK singer Meat Loaf cut short his Newcastle gig last night, telling fans he may never perform again.

This is the last show I may ever do in my life, he told a packed Metro Radio Arena before leaving the stage.

Not words the thousands of Meat Loaf fans wanted to hear from the big man of rock three quarters of the way through his Halloween gig.

But the show could well be the last from Marvin Lee Aday, aka Meat Loaf, as he went on: I can no longer continue, before walking off to the strains of his hit song Paradise By The Dashboard Light.

It is believed the singer, whose most famous album Bat Out Of Hell is one of the biggest selling ever, was suffering from inflammation of the larynx.

From the off, Meat Loaf looked to be struggling, with the two female backing singers carrying the vocals through most of the songs.

The band had played about a dozen tracks spanning Meat Loafs 30-year career and even though it was evident time had taken its toll on the performer the 60-year-old struggled to reach high notes and was having problems with timing and remembering lyrics he still appeared in a jovial and witty mood.

He also played up to the crowd with a planted can of Newcastle Brown Ale, choosing this over the advances of the backing singers, to much laughter and cheering.

But when the intro to Paradise began, he announced: This is the last show I may ever do in my life. As the intro stretched over two minutes, Meat Loaf looked uncomfortable. His daughter, Pear Adam, who was his support act, had been standing in the wings and also looking uncomfortable.

He sung the first line and stopped. I can no longer continue, he stated to the stunned crowd, many of whom thought it a Halloween prank. But he continued: I take off my coat and thank you for 30 years, before leaving the stage, possibly never to return.

Fans were stunned. Kim Wilson, of Newcastle, said: The hall was in shock as he left the stage, as he declared, for the very last time. His voice may have faltered but his charisma and presence remained as huge as ever. He did croak for about an hour though.

The performer has been hinting at quitting touring for some time. A doctor had been called to the Arena earlier in the day and paramedics were on-hand with oxygen if needed during the gig.

My point remains, I view the high ticket prices in this country as daylight robbery. It is not becuase the cost of putting on the events is higher. It is becuase the peopel running them are more greedy.

The Wikipedia page for LiveNation described it as a 'spin off of clean channel' so I still think I am mostly correct.

Live Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CClive formed out of Clear Channel and at the time I wrote my last post I found it hard to understand what you had written.

Wacken is very good value and almost 1/3 of the price of some UK festivals in 2008.

Roskilde is still far more diverse in my opinion and the fact it is 138 can be excused, whereas most of the UK festivals cannot justify that sort of price.

Graspop in Belgium was 125 euros in 2007 and the bands in the lineup are at big and as expensive as any of the big UK festivals.

And on top of that, at many of the festivals in mainalnd Europe there are even proper toilets.

You also don't get riots in festivals in mainland Europe and stuff like tent burning is apparently mostly caused by people who travel from the UK.

My point remains, I view the high ticket prices in this country as daylight robbery. It is not becuase the cost of putting on the events is higher. It is becuase the peopel running them are more greedy.

The Wikipedia page for LiveNation described it as a 'spin off of clean channel' so I still think I am mostly correct.

Live Nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CClive formed out of Clear Channel and at the time I wrote my last post I found it hard to understand what you had written.

Wacken is very good value and almost 1/3 of the price of some UK festivals in 2008.

Roskilde is still far more diverse in my opinion and the fact it is 138 can be excused, whereas most of the UK festivals cannot justify that sort of price.

Graspop in Belgium was 125 euros in 2007 and the bands in the lineup are at big and as expensive as any of the big UK festivals.

And on top of that, at many of the festivals in mainalnd Europe there are even proper toilets.

You also don't get riots in festivals in mainland Europe and stuff like tent burning is apparently mostly caused by people who travel from the UK.

Personally I don't think it's fair to compare mainland europe prices with UK prices.

Firstly, we live, as we all know, in a nanny state. There's a raft of legislation that has to be met by UK promoters, especially for festivals, that may not be required elsewhere. The laws governing this are UK laws, not EU, so the costs may well be lower elsewhere.

Secondly there's the catchment area for equipment suppliers. Because of transport costs pretty much the only companies that can supply the equipment (and there's a lot, stages, pa, lights, marquees, fencing, trackway,genertaors,video screens) at a competitive rate are British, whereas a festival in Belgium for example could tender quotes from Holland, France, Germany and Denmark without those companies incurring prohibitive costs in fuel, equipment downtime etc.

Basically, Britain is a bit of a captive market compared to mainland europe so costs will more than likely be more.

If you really want to moan about live nation festival costs you have to compare like with like, starting with putting them in the same market, i.e. UK festivals only.

As for ticket prices in general, there are more costs involved in bigger shows-better quality equipment, better staff, more attention to detail, elaborate stage sets, longer production rehearsals pre-tour etc but the main reason was given on the first page of this thread, supply and demand. In fact I think some promoters show remarkable restraint, they know the show will sell out no problem so adding another 10 onto a 50 ticket won't put much people off, and they'll still sell out.

Also take into account that a lot of these acts rarely tour in the UK, so not only is the demand high but the supply is low.