aberdeen-music

ticket prices

fatboy

was glancing at some website for getting ticket for events at the secc, cause i couldn't remember the date of the black crusade, and i noticed the list of different artists with gigs on, and the prices.

the black crusade 25 for 5 bands, nae bad! but meatloaf is like 50, how does the system work? does the artists and management have the say on the ticket prices? cause surely if 5 bands can play for 25 notes a head why do they expect fans to pay more for one act alone.

and also zeppelin, bet they are all happy with their greatest hits about to get released (probally with a couple of rough versions of songs that weren't good enough back then for their albums) knowing that these die hard fans will buy it, and the unreasonable amounts for concert tickets, (i like zeppelin)

It just seems like the music business is taking the fans for a ride

Supply and demand my friend, they will charge as much as they think people will pay.

Remember that your Meat Loaf punter is likely to be in his 30s/40s/50s with a job and decent disposable income and can therefore afford to pay more. I don't know who The Black Crusade are but if their fanbase is made up of students then they are never going to sell out the SECC at 50 a pop.

As for Zep, I agree 125 is a lot but probably decent value if you take into account the other acts that are playing as well (assumes you think Paolo Nutini is worth paying to see.)

Agree with you on the greatest hits thing, but the simple answer is "Just don't buy it."

the black crusade is the tour with the bands machine head, trivium, arch enemy, dragonforce and shadows fall,

I think its wrong to 'cash' in cause something is popular, it happens with everything, although your right i wouldn't go see paulo however it would be pleasing to know that a ticket would be the same price as every other artist, not just because alot of people like him,

imagine telling some one in the 70's the price of a zeppelin ticket in 2007

think they would shit themselves

the black crusade is the tour with the bands machine head, trivium, arch enemy, dragonforce and shadows fall,

I think its wrong to 'cash' in cause something is popular, it happens with everything, although your right i wouldn't go see paulo however it would be pleasing to know that a ticket would be the same price as every other artist, not just because alot of people like him,

imagine telling some one in the 70's the price of a zeppelin ticket in 2007

think they would shit themselves

Yeah, every gig should cost a fiver or something. Idiot.

and also zeppelin, bet they are all happy with their greatest hits about to get released (probally with a couple of rough versions of songs that weren't good enough back then for their albums) knowing that these die hard fans will buy it, and the unreasonable amounts for concert tickets, (i like zeppelin)

Rough versions of songs on it? What the fuck are you talking about? ?(

Seems a tad rude to call the guy an idiot.

125 for a Zeppelin ticket may seem pretty steep, but an awful lot of people were willing to pay it. I don't really have a problem paying a fair few bucks to see great live bands. WIth CD sales going down the shitter, the money needs to be made up somehow.

It's not like this isn ordinary world tour, it's a total one-off for one of the most popularbands ever that hasn't played for 30 years or something. Given those circumstances, I would say 125 isn't too shabby, especially when you hear of the likes of Barbara Striesand charging 500 or something.

i wasn't trying to say a gig should be a fiver, i was just stating that i think its wrong to charge different amounts at the same venue for different acts because of their influence or popularity, it ain't fair on bands who aren't as popular as the others

Do you have any idea of the costs involved in bands touring? The bigger a band gets, the bigger the costs get, the bigger a band gets, the more likely it is that it's their only source of income (it's a job not a hobby). If all gigs were the same price you'd have less bands touring.

why would it cost more to run a show for a more popular band than a less popular one,

only source of income????, they have merchandise, cd sales, royalties, tv stuff, magazine stories and interveiws,

please add more if i missed anyout

Well, imagine the tour crew for a start. It is a bit different when you are only travelling with no crew or maybe 4 people, but imagine when you are on the scale of enormo bands like U2, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones etc... who will have crews ~ 200. Plus, there are things like the stage show for arena tours like this.

why would it cost more to run a show for a more popular band than a less popular one,

only source of income????, they have merchandise, cd sales, royalties, tv stuff, magazine stories and interveiws,

please add more if i missed anyout

I was going to take back calling you an idiot earlier, but nah.

Let's say you go see some band you've never heard of from, Glasgow for this example. They've travelled up in a transit van and have no crew with them. They are driving back down after the show and get paid X amount of money - their only expenses for this particular gig being petrol and (possibly) food.

Now let's say you go and see The Arcade Fire in the same venue. They have a crew of 25 or so with them (all people that need to be paid, and paid well), a lighting rig, equipment they've hired (bearing in mind they're based in Canada and it's cheaper than shipping stuff over), hotels, catering crew, etc. They get paid the same amount of money as the former band, and lose thousands of pounds.

I was referring to music being their only source of income, not playing live. ie. they don't have a part time job in addition to it.

Not all bands have merchandise

Generally, bands don't make very much money from CD sales (unless you're U2 or something).

Royalties is a varying source of income, especially if not everyone in the band wrote the songs.

Unless 'tv stuff' means they have some branded televisions for sale at the merchandise stall, I'm not too sure what you're talking about. TV doesn't really pay.

Bands don't get paid for interviews (unless we're talking about Bono's wedding in Hello! magazine...)

I was going to take back calling you an idiot earlier, but nah.

Let's say you go see some band you've never heard of from, Glasgow for this example. They've travelled up in a transit van and have no crew with them. They are driving back down after the show and get paid X amount of money - their only expenses for this particular gig being petrol and (possibly) food.

Now let's say you go and see The Arcade Fire in the same venue. They have a crew of 25 or so with them (all people that need to be paid, and paid well), a lighting rig, equipment they've hired (bearing in mind they're based in Canada and it's cheaper than shipping stuff over), hotels, catering crew, etc. They get paid the same amount of money as the former band, and lose thousands of pounds.

I was referring to music being their only source of income, not playing live. ie. they don't have a part time job in addition to it.

Not all bands have merchandise

Generally, bands don't make very much money from CD sales (unless you're U2 or something).

Royalties is a varying source of income, especially if not everyone in the band wrote the songs.

Unless 'tv stuff' means they have some branded televisions for sale at the merchandise stall, I'm not too sure what you're talking about. TV doesn't really pay.

Bands don't get paid for interviews (unless we're talking about Bono's wedding in Hello! magazine...)

I think he's asking the question of 'why should it cost 125 to see led zep when deftones (or similar large band) can put on a show for 17?'. He's not talking about Dirtbox driving up from perth. (don't try and say that I'm saying that Deftones are similar in any way to Led Zep here - I'm merely using Deftones as an example of a successful touring band who play professional shows).

Why don't you try offering your 'knowledge' in a more friendly manner instead of calling the guy an idiot? After all, he was only asking a question.

I think he's asking the question of 'why should it cost 125 to see led zep when deftones (or similar large band) can put on a show for 17?'. He's not talking about Dirtbox driving up from perth. (don't try and say that I'm saying that Deftones are similar in any way to Led Zep here - I'm merely using Deftones as an example of a successful touring band who play professional shows).

Why don't you try offering your 'knowledge' in a more friendly manner instead of calling the guy an idiot? After all, he was only asking a question.

Ok, I'm unaware of the lineup for the Led Zeppelin show, but I know it's at the O2 arena. I'm unsure of the details, but I can imagine it being a pretty pricey venue for a promoter to hire, instead of the Music Hall or another venue where you'd expect to see a fairly popular band. If it's a one off show, the costs are going to be far higher than a tour, as a lot of the expenses will remain the same (cost of setting up the stage), but there's only one night with money coming in. I think this show is for charity, but I wouldn't be surprised if the band members are getting paid - again, more expensive with a one off show, as I'm sure the difficulty in getting them to reunite was in the actual reforming, instead of the number of dates played (after all, what does a few more matter once you've done all the preparing for the show?). Add in the previously mentioned supply and demand factor, and you've got yourself a pretty expensive show - to run and attend.

The more popular and expensive things are to run/sell, the more expensive they'll be to the customers, if it's a concert or a moisturiser in Boots. Simple as that.

Because paul-shand's being a spanner and asking for the blindingly obvious!

If Thomas Chippendale and I each make a chair out of the same type of wood (both functionable) - believe it or not - Tom's is going to go for a bit more at auction.

the black crusade at the secc, 5 bands, 5 crews to feed and pay - 25

meatloaf, at he secc, 2 bands, 2 crews to feed and pay 37.50 - 45

your theory doesn't explain why meatloaf is more expensive

Dude, it's not a fucking theory, it's common sense.

It's not a case of counting the people on the lineup (I wish things were that simple). Those bands playing at The Black Crusade probably don't have very big crews (I'm presuming here) and stage wise, at the most they probably have a banner or something similar. Meatloaf will probably have a fairly elaborate stage setup (which needs to be built = paying local stagehands, possibly) - at least he did when I saw him. His crew will probably consist of a LOT more people. Let's not forget that his band will be paid in addition to him. There's also the previously mentioned factor of Meatloaf being as established as they come, an advantage which means you can command a much higher fee.

If you're someone like Meatloaf, why get paid less than you're worth? At the same time, how could you possibly pay smaller bands the same amount without running into serious debt?

There's a long, long list of the costs involved in putting together a touring production, not just a run of the mill gig, these costs get higher the bigger the name most of the time, this cost obviously being reflected in the price of a ticket.

Dude, it's not a fucking theory, it's common sense.

It's not a case of counting the people on the lineup (I wish things were that simple). Those bands playing at The Black Crusade probably don't have very big crews (I'm presuming here) and stage wise, at the most they probably have a banner or something similar. Meatloaf will probably have a fairly elaborate stage setup (which needs to be built = paying local stagehands, possibly) - at least he did when I saw him. His crew will probably consist of a LOT more people. Let's not forget that his band will be paid in addition to him. There's also the previously mentioned factor of Meatloaf being as established as they come, an advantage which means you can command a much higher fee.

If you're someone like Meatloaf, why pay for less than you're worth? At the same time, how could you possibly pay smaller bands the same amount without running into serious debt?

There's a long, long list of the costs involved in putting together a touring production, not just a run of the mill gig, these costs get higher the bigger the name most of the time, this cost obviously being reflected in the price of a ticket.

It really cannot be put more plainly than that.

the issue is not the ticket prices, surely the issue is the gullible sad cunts that unfortunately continue to buy tickets for mainstream circus acts such as the likes of meatloaf, led zeppelin and U2 etc.

It's because they are famous and total mediawhores, get over it, their audiences will mostly be dead or pensioners soon anyway.

the issue is not the ticket prices, surely the issue is the gullible sad cunts that unfortunately continue to buy tickets for mainstream circus acts such as the likes of meatloaf, led zeppelin and U2 etc.

It's because they are famous and total mediawhores, get over it, their audiences will mostly be dead or pensioners soon anyway.

Nah, the issue is ticket prices, that's what was brought up. I can't think of anything less important than talking about people who go to concerts by bands that they like but I don't. Do you get angry when people go to see rubbish films? Or buy food you don't like?

Yes, because they are directly supporting and perpetuating the existence of hollywood or battery-farmed chickens for example, out of their own ignorance and gullible nature.

:laughing:

I can understand the anger however it is pretty much impossible to rise against shit hollywood no-brainer movies that people watch because their friends watched it got the cool gimmicky merch to go with it. The world is full of stupid people.

A recent comment I loved in a forum I was viewing "Yeah, Im really into the heavy music now like Trivium and Megadeath".......:rolleyes:

Yes, because they are directly supporting and perpetuating the existence of hollywood or battery-farmed chickens for example, out of their own ignorance and gullible nature.

Ok, the food example was badly put (I meant food you don't like the taste of, as opposed to any products which are ethically fucked), but taste in film is subjective. Notice that I didn't mention anything about Hollywood either.