aberdeen-music

Kurt Cobain's Jumper and Therapy?'s Question Mark: a Musical Guide to Larne!

Pancho

After reading the posts about Therapy?, i'd like to make two musical facts about Larne (small town north of belfast and my home for 18 years) known to the world!

- Kurt Cobain's Dennis the Menace Jumper.

When Nirvana played the King's Hall in Belfast in 1992, Kurt Cobain pulled a punk being beat up by bouncers onto the stage and told him to go back stage.

Here he was met by Courtney Love who immediately admired his jumper. Offering around 30 for it, the punk handed it over. When Kurt came of stage, Courtney was seen pulling the jumper over Kurt's head

The punk returned to Larne, 30 up, minus a red and black stripy jumper!

- Therapy? - Ever wondered why the question mark exists?

The cover of the first self released Therapy demo was a photo of a well known night time feature of Larne.

Larne is set in a valley. If one stands on one side and looks at the other valley slope, the street lights of Whitla's Brae make a distinct "Question Mark".

This was then incorperated into the Therapy? name! - Fact!

This is why Larne is the most important town in Ireland, this does not suggest you ever visit, let alone stay in the place!

According to Wikipedia, that's just lies!

Question Mark Suffix

Much has been made over the years of the unusual question mark suffix to the band's name. Various theories have been ventured by fans, many of them bizarre. The truth is somewhat mundane. When designing the band's first home produced single, Andy Cairns misaligned the Letraset adhesive label on the sleeve, and used the "?" icon to fill the space.

hmmm. Very intersting Mr Bond! I have actually driven through Larne. Had to check the map to make sure but the name totally rang a bell. Staying just north of there on my first visit to Ireland. Drove from Belfast right up to the Causeway.... afa bonny! Can't say Larne made all that much of an impression but HEY, i might take more notice if i ever head back over the water. Gotta admit i wasn't entirely impressed with the Causeway either but that crazy ass coastal road was amazing! Who said the English occupation was a bad thing eh? haha

Bazz

Much has been made over the years of the unusual question mark suffix to the band's name. Various theories have been ventured by fans, many of them bizarre. The truth is somewhat mundane. When designing the band's first home produced single, Andy Cairns misaligned the Letraset adhesive label on the sleeve, and used the "?" icon to fill the space.

Well i'm sure Michael McKeegan told otherwise, who trusts wiki these days anyway?

hmmm. Very intersting Mr Bond! I have actually driven through Larne. Had to check the map to make sure but the name totally rang a bell. Staying just north of there on my first visit to Ireland. Drove from Belfast right up to the Causeway.... afa bonny! Can't say Larne made all that much of an impression but HEY, i might take more notice if i ever head back over the water. Gotta admit i wasn't entirely impressed with the Causeway either but that crazy ass coastal road was amazing! Who said the English occupation was a bad thing eh? haha

Bazz

Yeah, the coast is amazing. As a geologist the causeway is rather dull, merely the allignment of feldspars.

Recently on an Asian cooking programme, James Nesbitt of Cold Feet fame was asked

"While helping prepare a Vietnamese dish he was asked if he had ever visited the Asian country" He replied "he hadn't - but that he had visited Larne which, in his view, was much the same."

As for the English occupation... Hmmm!

Yeah, the coast is amazing. As a geologist the causeway is rather dull, merely the allignment of feldspars.

Recently on an Asian cooking programme, James Nesbitt of Cold Feet fame was asked

"While helping prepare a Vietnamese dish he was asked if he had ever visited the Asian country" He replied "he hadn't - but that he had visited Larne which, in his view, was much the same."

As for the English occupation... Hmmm!

heh, i merely mention the English as i was "informed" it was the Crown that funded the building of the coastal route, A2 i believe? I just looked at the fookin map a minute ago and have forgotten already!! There was a real cool castle i checked out too. This was a fair few years ago but i'm sure it was before you got to the rope bridge. Reminded me of Dunnoter but on a grander scale. Was afa impressed. The causeway like ALL "local attractions" is over hyped. The huge visitor centre and even buses taking you down the hill!! wtf????!!! Lazy bastards, bet it was set up for the Yanks! heh

I am digressing from your original point though... back to jumpers and question marks! haha