aberdeen-music

Iain Banks and the lack of a proper ending

Chris

I've recently read 4 books by Iain Banks (Whit, Wasp Factory, Complicity and Espedair Street). Now all 4 books were excellent (particuarly Whit) but I can't help but feel that Iain Banks is incapable of writing a proper ending to a book.

Each one seemed to end abruptly, there was lots of painstaking build up to a climax of all 4 books then they were over and done with in a couple of pages. Bang. That's the end, goodnight!

Now I realise part of it is that he is trying not to treat the reader like an idiot and letting them flesh out what happens after the climax themselves, but it would be nice just to have a couple more pages to bring me down a bit. Not even a full epilogue, just flesh it out by 4 or 5 sheets while the reader regains their composure.

What does everyone else think? Anyone else a fan?

I've recently read 4 books by Iain Banks (Whit, Wasp Factory, Complicity and Espedair Street). Now all 4 books were excellent (particuarly Whit) but I can't help but feel that Iain Banks is incapable of writing a proper ending to a book.

Funny you should say that - I've thought that for years. He's a good writer, but his books seem to end with a whimper rather than a bang.

Maybe it's deliberate becuase he doesn't want to follow the crowd.

I'm kind of simple minded in as much as I like a big THE END when I've finished a book.

Ha Ha, try 'The Business', worst ending to a decent book ever. Disagree on 'The Wasp Factory', thats an awesome ending according to my memory. I reckon his best ending is within 'Use of Weapons' (M. Banks), proper darkness. 'Look to Windward' at least resolved its own plot, and 'The Algebraist' wrapped itself up all right, as does 'The Crow Road'.

I finish this with a plea to Apollo, god of the arts; Hear me and make sure we get at least another couple of Culture novels, and something new by Neal Stephenson wouldn't go amiss either, ta.

I've read a few of his books (both Banks & M. Banks) and I'd noticed this a while ago too! It's almost as if he's gotten bored with the story ala Little Britain author style...

• 4 weeks later...

I've mainly read his M books, and those are rarely disappointing. The Business is probably the weakest novel that I've read of his. It's still gorgeous, if lacking in its ending. Guy is a killer writer, IMO.

*but I'm maybe not quite ontopic here. Check Excession if you want a truly BWHHAAAA ending :)