aberdeen-music

Acoustic Music

Inkster

I'm not sure if someone who likes the City and the Colour would have the taste required to enjoy Jacksonville City Nights...

My favourite album was once Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. It lasted a fortnight and it ended by me literally throwing it out the window. "Crawling in my skin", indeed. I am very happy I found that Del Amitri "Best Of" now that I think about it.

Anyway, music taste is to be cultivated. I'm sure everyone would agree with me there. I am still in the long process of finding just what kind of music I prefer. It seems that I don't really have a preference but it has to be said that "acoustic" music is genuinely the broadest genre you could ask to delve into and everyone needs a starting point.

Ray Lamontagne

i was just thinking this morning on the way to work "OH! Ray Lamontagne, shoulda recommended Ray Lamontagne!" Good call!

Allllllso, Regina Spektor. Shes a tricky one to classify, because every one of her songs has a different style. But most of them are piano based. And pianos are technically acoustic. Though I imagine you possibly meant acousticy guitar type choons?!?! But regardless, everyone should listen to her cos she's ruddy fantastic!

You know the ridiculous thing is, my ex-boyfriend did a radio show at our uni station, and he only played acoustic music. That was how I met him. And got even more into acoustic music. And I cannot for the life of me remember half the stuff he played!!!! Obviously I have just deleted that phase of my life from my memory for some reason!!!

At the moment I absolutely love Alessi, who is a London-based acoustic singer, expect to hear lots about her soon with comparisons to Joanna Newsom, Vashti Bunyan and Devendra Banhart. She also hand-sews covers for her EP and handwrites individual little notes and thoughts and puts them in with the CD. My one had an owl.

Also, Fionn Regan is brilliant. His lyrics are incredible.

Allllllso, Regina Spektor. Shes a tricky one to classify, because every one of her songs has a different style. But most of them are piano based. And pianos are technically acoustic. Though I imagine you possibly meant acousticy guitar type choons?!?! But regardless, everyone should listen to her cos she's ruddy fantastic!

Agreed, it should be law that everyone has to listen to Regina Spektor at least once.

Some of Idlewild's acoustic stuff is amazing. Roddy Woomble's solo album is also basically a whole acoustic gem of an album.

Incubus offer some good acoustic listening and if your looking along the same lines as get cape and city and colour, you should definatly try some acoustic death cab for cutie, it is excellent.

Not saying i like entirely like this band, but Dashboard Confessional have some good acoustic tunes, their old stuff is quite good.

Also along the lines of CITY AND COLOUR, you could check out the PUNK GOES ACOUSTIC ALBUMS, they are pretty decent.

Here's a good start:

:D:D

hope it helps