aberdeen-music

Acoustic Music

Inkster

If you need something to better the City and the Colour, you're not going to have to look very hard.

Woody Guthrie, Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, John Martyn, Nick Drake (very important), Teenage Fanclub (noteably 'Songs from Nothern Britain'), Chris T-T, Simple Kid and Ryan Adams (see 'Love is Hell').

Woody Guthrie, Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, John Martyn, Nick Drake (very important), Teenage Fanclub (noteably 'Songs from Nothern Britain'), Chris T-T, Simple Kid and Ryan Adams (see 'Love is Hell').

These.

"Pink Moon" by Nick Drake, "Solid Air" and "Bless The Weather" by John Martyn.

Also, "XO" by Elliott Smith, anything by Kings of Convenience.

"Pink Moon" by Nick Drake, "Solid Air" and "Bless The Weather" by John Martyn.

Pink Moon is definately the one to go for on the Nick Drake side of things.

As for John Martyn, I'd also recommend Solid Air, as well as London Conversation (his folk-heavy debut) and Live in Leeds (the onstage chatter is marvelous).

john martyn is shite.

if its just music played on an acoustic guitar your after i'd go with Dylan before the sell out, Woody Guthrie, Donavon, Baez, Willy Mason, Chris T-T, Kitchen Cynics, - actually far too many to mention but the first few would be essential in my mind.

if its more just contemporary laid-back stuff your after i'd recommend, as has already been said, Heartbreaker and Jacksonville City Nights by Ryan Adams (possibly cold roses too, i guess its in the same ball park and is amazing), and Daisies of the Galaxy by Eels. Aberfeldy cover the course well too.

electric guitar, even worse an invention than Nuclear Bombs tbh.

Ryan Adams (most of his albums feature acoustic music actually but Heartbreaker, Love is Hell, Jacksonville City Nights and Cold Roses are particularly lovely!)

Bob Dylan (Freewheelin Bob Dylan is entirely acoustic and bloody fantastic, and The Times Are A Changin is also some good acoustic listenin)

Nickel Creek (ooohhh bluegrassy goodness!)

Jose Gonzalez (who I saw in August and was unbelievably fantastic in a grassy field at sunset with fewer than 50 members in the audience with just his acoustic guitar and incredible voice! oh he makes me shiver)

They've been said before but just wanted to second them!

Kelly Joe Phelps, his recent stuff (Slingshot Professionals, Tunesmith Retrofit) for folky songwriting or his earlier stuff (Roll Away The Stone, Shine Eyed Mister Zen, Sky Like A Broken Clock) for more bluesy numbers.

In a similar fingerpicking bluesy songwriter vein Paul Curreri is quite ace.