aberdeen-music

'Old' Country band

sdg111

I'm interested in putting together an informal band for informal gigs. This is not 'new' country but will cover Glen Campbell, Jimmy Webb, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Jim Reeves etc. Not looking for anyone/thing in particular just people who like this music and want to play it. Age not important.

Let me know if you're interested.

Obviously not to your liking but he was one of the most successful, biggest selling (outside the US) and most played US country acts ever. Produced by non other than Chet Atkins and a Country Hall of Fame inductee. I could go on however he is only one of my influences, there are many, many others including the Eagles, Alan Jackson, John Denver, Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison, Conway Twitty etc.

Anyway, I'm sure if you listed your influences there'd be plenty I'd disagree with - life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same stuff..............

Obviously not to your liking but he was one of the most successful, biggest selling (outside the US) and most played US country acts ever. Produced by non other than Chet Atkins and a Country Hall of Fame inductee. I could go on however he is only one of my influences, there are many, many others including the Eagles, Alan Jackson, John Denver, Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison, Conway Twitty etc.

Anyway, I'm sure if you listed your influences there'd be plenty I'd disagree with - life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same stuff..............

That's you telt Graeme :laughing:

Bloody hell....:swearing:

I always find it incredible that people have to use..o_O stupid bloody emoticons to make it 8-) clear they are joking...:popcorn:

I quite like jim reeves actualy...:up:

In fact, if you sing for my rock covers band i'll play bass for your country band (my wife would be so happy).....:up::princess:8-):partyboy::band:

Okay, okay, so I shouldn't have been so defensive, it's just that country music is an easy target and I've heard it all before........ Now, writing new material based on my influences.....that's a great idea actually Twojoe, I'd better get writing, although I think part of the reason I'm keen to play covers is to introduce this older stuff to a generation who have never heard it but who may like it.

Graeme, okay so you were joking (Pheeew!) I appreciate the offer but my singing's pretty limited and I doubt if I have the vocal range for a rock band (do I need a vocal range for a rock band?????).

Anyway, like so many other things on here, realistically, this will probably never get off the ground, even though I'd love it to. I'm kinda just testing the water. Do you think there's a market for it? I'd do an Eagles cover band if it hadn't been done to death (new album out any day). What about Van Morrison, anyone covering his songs could put on a better show than him, moody old b*****d!!!! :finger:

Okay, okay, so I shouldn't have been so defensive, it's just that country music is an easy target and I've heard it all before........ Now, writing new material based on my influences.....that's a great idea actually Twojoe, I'd better get writing, although I think part of the reason I'm keen to play covers is to introduce this older stuff to a generation who have never heard it but who may like it.

Graeme, okay so you were joking (Pheeew!) I appreciate the offer but my singing's pretty limited and I doubt if I have the vocal range for a rock band (do I need a vocal range for a rock band?????).

Anyway, like so many other things on here, realistically, this will probably never get off the ground, even though I'd love it to. I'm kinda just testing the water. Do you think there's a market for it? I'd do an Eagles cover band if it hadn't been done to death (new album out any day). What about Van Morrison, anyone covering his songs could put on a better show than him, moody old b*****d!!!! :finger:

I wouldnt apologise to me, I also have (had) a bad habit of flying off the handle on here...

I think the youngsters would quite enjoy it, it would be different enough to get you gigs and if some of the gloomier songs were blugrassed up a bit I think youd have a winner.

I know van morrisons monitor engineer....moody old bastard doesnt go far enough believe me.

G...

I like Jim Reeves too......grew up with stuff like' He'll have to go' etc (although 'Bimbo' used to get on my tits). Also stuff like Eddy Arnold, Johnny Cash etc. Probably put me off the 'easy' side of country for a few decades though. Wish the folks had been more into Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers etc

I second Twojoe's suggestion...some originals mixed with covers would be a good addition to the local scene. (Might even be up Bigsby's street?)

Exactly, nobody wore a cardigan like Gentleman Jim.

Well, maybe Val Doonican.

For cardigan-wearing overkill you can't beat the Spinners! (the Liverpool ones, not the Detroit ones)

Some cardigan related songs..

Wooly bully

(Pull)over the rainbow

The joint was jump(er)in'

Stormy sweater

Baby you can drive my cardigan

Well this thread prompted me to have a look at Jim's entry on wiki, didn't realise this:

Reeves died when the small aircraft he was piloting crashed during a thunderstorm near Nashville, Tennessee.

Both Reeves and the pilot of Patsy Cline's ill-fated plane were trained by the same instructor.

It is now understood that Reeves was, in fact, flying the plane upside down and he assumed he was raising the craft some distance in an attempt to clear the path of the storm. Of course, this disastrously (and fatally) resulted in him taking the airplane downward and straight to the ground. This would have explained why, when the wreckage was eventually found some 42 hours later, the engine and nose of the plane were buried deep in the ground.

Upside down plane stunts, rock and roll man. Even Bruce Dickinson wouldn't try that sort of stuff.

Exactly! There you go, he was a Rock God before the term was even invented!! Seriously though, have a quick count of the musicians you know who died in a plane/helicopter crash, John Denver springs to mind from the country genre.

Thanks for the input everyone. Nice song selection Alan.....I think!

Back to Van Morrison for a second, did anyone see him at Crathes this year. He turns up, goes through the motions, doesn't speak or barely acknowledge his audience. I think it really is all about money for him now, which is a real shame 'cos he's written so many great songs. Apparently every Irish musician has played for him twice - once before he sacked them and again when he's ran out of musicians to hire.................

Finally did anyone hear Don McLean on Radio 2 today - what an amazing talent he is and what a song Vincent is.