aberdeen-music

N00b

Well if nobody else is going to be polite and say hello, then I will!

Hello! I am fine this merry eve. Sweaty from band practice, and hungry. How is you fine self? How are you finding the Granite city? If you nose around the site you'll find plenty of posts about places to go, bands to see, good places to eat, nutters to avoid etc.

:cheers:

Hi there!

Welcome to the site and to the 'Deen :kiss:

How are you coping with the absence of proper Glesca rolls?

It took me a while to adjust.

The local delicacy is The Rowie, which is essentially flour rolled in grease, then cremated - usually served with butter. It's the only thing on the planet that actually resisters as being 110% fat.

They are sometimes known as "Butteries" - but don't ask for them by that name. I did when I first moved up here and the response from the old dear behind the counter was (honest) "Butteries? Fit kind d'ye want aye noo? Double A, Triple A, or the wee square eens for yer smoke alarm".

You'll get used to the "U" for "A" thing (Punts/Pants, Bugs/Bags) and "I" for "E" (Wikks/Weeks, Brikks/Breeks) etc.

Oh! and I think there's a lass on here called "Nasty Little Midget" - you should get together!

Enjoy.

How are you coping with the absence of proper Glesca rolls?

haha I think that rowies more than make up for the lack of them!!!

QUOTE: You'll get used to the "U" for "A" thing (Punts/Pants, Bugs/Bags) and "I" for "E" (Wikks/Weeks, Brikks/Breeks) etc.

And yeah... the local lingo is taking some getting used to... I thought the broad weedgies were hard to understand at the best of times... although you did get strangely used to hearing "am gonnae chib yoo wi ma boa'le o' buckie"!!!

And yeah... the local lingo is taking some getting used to... I thought the broad weedgies were hard to understand at the best of times... although you did get strangely used to hearing "am gonnae chib yoo wi ma boa'le o' buckie"!!!

The ones the used to slay me were...and without any preamble whatsoever... "This is me since yistirday..." and "...ah wiz like 'at" (usually accompanied with a palm-down hand gesture, as if to explain what "..'at.." actually was.

And yes, ah've hud a "boa'le ay ginger and a pakkit ay criss fae the Van" on may occasions :laughing:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
When I first moved to Aberdeen, it took me a good few weeks to understand people with a thick Aberdonian accent..

Lived here all my life, still can't get a handle on the local accent. It's horrible.

:up:

Guest idol_wild
Lived here all my life, still can't get a handle on the local accent. It's horrible.

I'm the same. Every single member of my family "spiks lik'at". Why I don't as a result is quite beyond me.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm the same. Every single member of my family "spiks lik'at". Why I don't as a result is quite beyond me.

If you have to listen to that grating whine on a daily basis, chances are you've made a concerted effort not to talk like that. Good on you.