aberdeen-music

Breakfast

JaseyBoi

So i found myself at a loose end at 08:15am the other morning in town and fancied a nice greasy fry up....I wandered around union street dod street etc and found i couldnt for the life of me get a decent breakfast anywhere.....I ended up in McDee's getting a cardboard pretend breakfast.....So my question is this...Where in aberdeen can one get a nice breakfast.

Breakfast being sausage bacon black pud etc etc . . . . .

Please dont say the bus station as i have had one of there breakfast and it was the most discusting thing ive ever eaten..

Thanks.

So i found myself at a loose end at 08:15am the other morning in town and fancied a nice greasy fry up....I wandered around union street dod street etc and found i couldnt for the life of me get a decent breakfast anywhere.....I ended up in McDee's getting a cardboard pretend breakfast.....So my question is this...Where in aberdeen can one get a nice breakfast.

Breakfast being sausage bacon black pud etc etc . . . . .

Please dont say the bus station as i have had one of there breakfast and it was the most discusting thing ive ever eaten..

Thanks.

I assume you're meaning at 8.15 in the morning, hence pubs are out of the equation? That's stumped me a little bit actually. Try one of the hotels - you can usually walk in and pay for a breakfast there even if you're not a guest, like you can any other meal. It'll cost you a fair whack like but it'll be fine. Maybe the Douglas hotel on Market Street, or the Thistle on Union Terrace? thistle at Altens does fine breakfasts anyway. Probably set you back the best part of a tenner tho.

Failing that there's a cafe on The Castlegate which does breakfasts but I'm not sure what time it's open - it used to be called Julia Cafe, I think it changed hands last year sometime and the food is a bit hit or miss since then, but it might be worth checking out.

Ive also just been told that petrofac at the end of market street (just outside torry) has a cafe thats open to the public....

Oh and isnt julies cafe a chinese now?.

Before it used to do a British menu and a Chinese menu. then when it changed hands it did away with the British stuff and just did Chinese, but now it's completely done away with the Chinese and gone back to the old British menu. Cheeseburger and chips for 2.80! And it sells beer! :rockon:

Tho they did get rid of that waitress I fancied.

As well as that place on Holburn St (Cafe Rosa?) there is the Gordon Cafe on King St. Great greasy spoon. :)

Good place in Torry as well IIRC but it has been years since I was last in there.

Had a similar experience in central Birmingham before. The only place open at 5am was a McDs - full of local buisness people having their breakfasts, including cafe-owners! :(

Oh my god don't go to Cafe Rosa. it is fucking awful, awful, awful :puke::puke::puke:

Trust me, stay the hell out of there. The last time I was in I asked for an omelette which the guy cooked in the microwave, and it was so raw it came in a bowl with a spoon. No shit. Barf city.

Ah, well I never said it was any good just that it was open.

Debenhams cafe does breakfasts but I imagine you'd have to wait until 9 to get in

Debenhams does a cracking breakfast, but Littlewoods was the best until it closed down. It was even better when you could still smoke in there, I used to enjoy going in and having a fry-up, reading the paper and having a couple of cigarettes with my pot of tea. I think each breakfast probably took a couple of years off my life.

The best breakfasts I've ever had in Aberdeen were in the classic 'greasy spoons', the best two that spring to mind were the cafe in The Castlegate which became a trendy bistro and I think is now a take-away?

there is the Gordon Cafe on King St. Great greasy spoon. :)

Is that still open? It was the best greasy spoon in Aberdeen for my money but last time I went past it looked like it was totally closed up?

Debenhams does a cracking breakfast, but Littlewoods was the best until it closed down. It was even better when you could still smoke in there, I used to enjoy going in and having a fry-up, reading the paper and having a couple of cigarettes with my pot of tea.

I did have fond memories when i was young of going there for a fry up for my breakfast. There was always tonnes of screaming kids though which Debenhams for some reason lacks of(thank god).

There is also Washington Cafe on the beach but they aren't so consistent in making good breakfasts. My parents love it there though.

Yeah the gordon cafe is now closed :( ... Thanks for the info tho guys.

Bugger! :( That must have been fairly recent?

Must say that if I'm going for breakfast now, it tends to be down the beach & includes a hangover/tiredness-reducing stroll. Usually the Washington Cafe now. Their Breakfasts are ok. As is the filled rolls if I'm not so hungry/skint. Bacon & black pudding, or Bacon & Sausage & coffee are fine. :)

Another one came to mind - Beans Cafe near the Junction on Union St. they open at 8. Although the breakfast in there is more of a breakfast baguette.

Have to say that making my own weekend fry-up is an occasional treat.

Bacon, Sausages, Mushrooms, Stornoway Black Pudding, Tattie Scones, Own-baked Spelt Bread (best fried bread bar-none!), sometimes some refried boiled tatties....... Egg - fried or scrambled but only if I'm going to be very actve, my battered guts can't really cope with them otherwise. :)

Debenhams does a cracking breakfast, but Littlewoods was the best until it closed down. It was even better when you could still smoke in there, I used to enjoy going in and having a fry-up, reading the paper and having a couple of cigarettes with my pot of tea. I think each breakfast probably took a couple of years off my life.

Yup, used to go in there all the time when I was a student, a "six of the best" and pot of tea came to a quid or something, then a few fags. Lots of minks though.

Nowhere really like that now, maybe BHS?

when was that? I think it changed hands last year sometime.

The one morning I staggered in there, it was OK but I tend to avoid eggs personally.

It was either the start of this year or the tail end of last. It was pretty horrendous. Not only was my microwaved omelette disgusting, but there's no wall between the kitchen and the dining area, so all the while you're eating you can hear dishes and pans being clattered, not very relaxing.