aberdeen-music

OLAFUR ARNALDS (iceland) @ PEACOCK VISUAL ARTS

Dizzy Storm

if anyone's interested - someone sent me a link to this today: possibly one of the strangest reviews i've ever received.

tokafi - Net Decks 23

Herzog - Ocean! Be Our Blanket

Slowly but surely the name Bill Bawden is getting around. A firm insider tip among attentive ears, his EPs and sampler contributions for UK-outfit Serein have left an impression not just with fans of romantic and heartwarmingly off–kilter-ambient, but with musicians and other netlabel heads as well. 12 Records, for one, were extremely chuffed about being able to present the third in a string of short-form releases by Bawden’s nom de plume Herzog. “Ocean! Be Our Blanket” passed us by at the time of its release, but makes for one of these equally upsetting and uplifting “How could I have missed that!”-and-“What a brilliant discovery!”-moments one occasionally encounters when the sky is premonitiously grey, the mood’s gloomy and nothing seems to work out right. “Ocean! Be Our Blanket” certainly caught me off-guard and turned a morning which promised nothing but uninspiring work and stress into an oasis of rest and peace. “His idea of transforming analogue sounds into short-form ambient-compositions fit our intentions perfectly.” 12 Records bosses Sim Sullen and Sven Swift mention in the introductory notes, but there is quite a lot more going on here. Especially in terms of instrumentation, Bawden avoids the trapdoors of monochromaticism and builds his orchestra from various field recordings, minimal piano trickles, rhythmically broken radio frequencies, powerful pads and soft drones, as well as intangible echoes of what could be a guitar being plucked. With the gentlest of movements, casual and careful at the same time, Bawden then stirrs these elements into glistening photonic crystals like a pastry chef mixing in beaten eggwhites with a cream of quark, raisines and cherries. His melodies are recursive and seem to fall back into themselves, like a skater in a halfpipe, creating the sensation of movement without really advancing one step. Herzog uses reverb with utmost care, preferring intimacy above majesty and enjoys delaying his motives into spiralling grooves of high emotionality. Especially so in the closing “I’m no cathedral”, with its deep organ root, far-away drum machine clatterings and filtered psycho-acoustics, a piece which reaches out to several scenes and genres at the same time. So does the entire release, which has a strong coherence and continously references itself without ever actually repeating a note. A mixture of Winter and Autumn-tunes glowing in the rays of a Summer Sun and with the promise of Spring.

Postrock, Glitchpop, Future Rap

if anyone's interested - someone sent me a link to this today: possibly one of the strangest reviews i've ever received.

tokafi - Net Decks 23

Herzog - Ocean! Be Our Blanket

Slowly but surely the name Bill Bawden is getting around. A firm insider tip among attentive ears, his EPs and sampler contributions for UK-outfit Serein have left an impression not just with fans of romantic and heartwarmingly offkilter-ambient, but with musicians and other netlabel heads as well. 12 Records, for one, were extremely chuffed about being able to present the third in a string of short-form releases by Bawdens nom de plume Herzog. Ocean! Be Our Blanket passed us by at the time of its release, but makes for one of these equally upsetting and uplifting How could I have missed that!-and-What a brilliant discovery!-moments one occasionally encounters when the sky is premonitiously grey, the moods gloomy and nothing seems to work out right. Ocean! Be Our Blanket certainly caught me off-guard and turned a morning which promised nothing but uninspiring work and stress into an oasis of rest and peace. His idea of transforming analogue sounds into short-form ambient-compositions fit our intentions perfectly. 12 Records bosses Sim Sullen and Sven Swift mention in the introductory notes, but there is quite a lot more going on here. Especially in terms of instrumentation, Bawden avoids the trapdoors of monochromaticism and builds his orchestra from various field recordings, minimal piano trickles, rhythmically broken radio frequencies, powerful pads and soft drones, as well as intangible echoes of what could be a guitar being plucked. With the gentlest of movements, casual and careful at the same time, Bawden then stirrs these elements into glistening photonic crystals like a pastry chef mixing in beaten eggwhites with a cream of quark, raisines and cherries. His melodies are recursive and seem to fall back into themselves, like a skater in a halfpipe, creating the sensation of movement without really advancing one step. Herzog uses reverb with utmost care, preferring intimacy above majesty and enjoys delaying his motives into spiralling grooves of high emotionality. Especially so in the closing Im no cathedral, with its deep organ root, far-away drum machine clatterings and filtered psycho-acoustics, a piece which reaches out to several scenes and genres at the same time. So does the entire release, which has a strong coherence and continously references itself without ever actually repeating a note. A mixture of Winter and Autumn-tunes glowing in the rays of a Summer Sun and with the promise of Spring.

Postrock, Glitchpop, Future Rap

is there going to be dancing like last night at Akron/Family?

just a few album reviews kicking about ;):)

'A majestic debut album! Achingly beautiful classical indie from Iceland!' (7/10) Rock Sound

'Iceland's best new export comes in the shape of Eulogy For Evolution!'

Clash Magazine

'An auspicious debut from a promising young talent.' (7/10) Drowned In Sound

'A series of orchestral movements that pull the heartstrings like a marionette. Hamlet la headphones, but prettier.' (8/10)

The Silent Ballet

'I had this for dinner!' Guardian

'Arnalds work is brave, unique and defiantly outr. True to its name, Eulogy for Evolution is enough to send creationists running to Darwin.'

(9/10) CD Times

'One of the most intelligent, well-crafted and utterly beautiful records of the year.'

In It For The Money Zine

'If you thought Sigur Rs had the patent on hauntingly beautiful and meticulously compelling music coming out of Iceland, then lafur Arnalds is here to educate you otherwise.' UK Music Search

'Gentle, epic, beautiful, visceral, masterful and utterly essential. Juxtapositions fully intended.' (5/5) Is This Music?

'lafur Arnalds is definitely going places on the strength of this album.' Oban FM (Scotland)

'Arnalds' highly cinematic approach has that same instantly digestible quality that Johannsson, and for that matter Max Richter, are able to tap into. Gorgeous!'

Boomkat Records

'One of my favourites this year!'

Radio 100 (NL)

'Album of the week'

Urban Desire (GER)

'Best debut Ive heard in a long time'

(4/5) Rjominn (IS)

(4.5/5) Poisonfree.com

(4/5) Morgunblai (IS)

(9/10) Sound Mag (GER)

(8.5/10) Rock Hard (GER)

late response from me on this...been busy busy since monday night o_O

YES! great show....olafur and band didnt disappoint, didnt think for a minute they would anyway.... lovely lovely lovely is all i can say. thanks to those that came and checked them out, they loved the show, everything was perfect, the setting, the sound, and im assured they'll come back again....as will more ERASED TAPES bands hopefully :up:

now, attentions to ZOMBIE ZOMBIE monday night!!!!!!!!!