aberdeen-music

OLAFUR ARNALDS (iceland) @ PEACOCK VISUAL ARTS

Dizzy Storm

im very excited about this one....another 'Audrey' moment me thinks!.... :popcorn:

Beautiful in the same way the Antartica is

Fragile, emotional, classical indie music would maybe be the best term to describe lafur Arnalds music. Combining classical instrumentation with an indierock aesthetic there are obvious comparisons to Sigur Ros, but Arnalds is sculpting his own epic, string-laden compositions.

lafur is just 20 years old, hails from the suburbian town Mosfellsbr, just a few kilometers out of Reykjavk. Besides his soloproject, lafur plays drums in two hardcore bands, Fighting Shit (whom some of you may have seen at dr drakes a few years back...they were amazing!) and Celestine, and he also plays piano, banjo, guitar and drums in his friends soloproject, My Summer as a Salvation Soldier. His first solo album, Eulogy for Evolution, has been highly praised by the media and local music fans in Iceland and has already created quite a buzz around Europe and even all the way to Japan despite several delays of its release. The album is finally being released in Europe, USA and Japan by Progression Records and in the UK by Erased Tapes Records in autumn 2007

lafur recently supported american indie-rock band Cursive on a tour around Germany. Despite the musical differences of the two bands, the tour went really well and the audiences were amazed by the unexpected slow-building and hauntingly melodic chamber music, accompanied by electronic ambience, loops and sometimes heavy electronic beats.

you can check out 3 tracks from the upcoming album here

MySpace.com - Olafur Arnalds - Mosfellsbaer, IS - Classical / Indie - www.myspace.com/olafurarnalds

as for date...still to be 100% confirmed but will either be friday 7th or mon 10th december...will keep you posted on all details, just wanted to get the info out on him!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday night Iceland's leading public television station RV broadcasted a live performance of 'Fok' on the evening show Kastljs. 'Fok' is a preview on lafur's second release 'Variations of Static' which will be officially released in spring 2008. If you don't want to wait this long, then come to one of his UK/EU shows where you get the chance to grab a copy of the limited tour edition. But for now you can watch the live video:

You Tube....Olafur Arnalds...Fok

beautiful

Wednesday night Iceland's leading public television station RV broadcasted a live performance of 'Fok' on the evening show Kastljs. 'Fok' is a preview on lafur's second release 'Variations of Static' which will be officially released in spring 2008. If you don't want to wait this long, then come to one of his UK/EU shows where you get the chance to grab a copy of the limited tour edition. But for now you can watch the live video:

You Tube....Olafur Arnalds...Fok

beautiful

youve don't it again, I really think if at all possible, this could be better than Audrey live

for fans of Max Richter/Stars of the Lid etal

yeh beautiful

Have you got support lined up?

yes, support comes from the lovely HERZOG...experimental ambient electronica...complete with visuals...check him out here

MySpace.com - herzog - Aberdeen, UK - Electronica / Folk / Experimental - www.myspace.com/herzogmusic

here's a nice review also...

The ambient delight This Time we're Infinite by Herzog released on Serein really inpsired me this morning. It reinforced in my mind why I love writing about netlabels and the creative commons movement so much, as the sanguine opening track Standing like towers, in a field, in the rain made the hairs on my neck stand up. Perhaps I was just in the mood to listen to something like this, but rest assured, This Time we're Infinite is an interesting EP that's worth listening to.

At just over 30 minutes, there's enough food for thought. Influences are hard to track, so what I'm reminded of as I listen is probably different to anyone else. For instance, A short exchange of words by the triangulation point brings to mind traditional Japanese music, overlaid with contemporary 20th Century Western composition and an electronica composer's adeptness for effects processing.

Despite the patterns and music appearing complex at first, there's a coarse vein of simplicity running through Herzog's compositional techniques. These roads are ribbons in the countryside hangs in the air with grace and charm, and Look at us only through microscopes now feels two parts of a story, each with distinct themes that are recycled throughout...