aberdeen-music

Street Flyering to be Banned

Camie

Guest Neutral

GOOD and ABOUT TIME is all i can really say

Nothing more annoying than being flyred by morons who cant even hand over flyers in intimate space without fucking up to some extent

I'd rather see a ban on those fucking daily record arseholes that appear every evening on my way home. If I wanted a rangers obsessed weegie centric tabloid rag to read I'd ask you for one, I don't need it shoved in my face every hundred yards down Union Street.

I'd rather see a ban on those fucking daily record arseholes that appear every evening on my way home. If I wanted a rangers obsessed weegie centric tabloid rag to read I'd ask you for one, I don't need it shoved in my face every hundred yards down Union Street.

What annoys me is that it only appears to be a job that Eastern European people can do. Where the fuck are all these jobless lazy Scottish cunts that need something to do?

I haven't read the article yet (will later) but I would support a ban on flyering, have you ever walked down Belmont Street at like 6am on a Saturday or Sunday morning? You can hardly see the ground for discarded flyers, it just makes a big fucking mess.

i dont want to sink your boat...but by 6am, belmont street is usually cleansed out by aberdeen council's street cleaners ;)

i dont want to sink your boat...but by 6am, belmont street is usually cleansed out by aberdeen council's street cleaners ;)

They're usually out and about around that time, I used to do night shifts and passed there about that time most weekends and there was still a fair old mess of flyers and chip wrappers.

The people I really hate are those fucking cunts from Shelter who stop you every 5 fucking steps and try to get a monthly direct debit donation. Fuck that! I don't mind handing over a bit of pocket change but there's no cunting way I'm giving any fucker my bank account details. I used to politely but firmly decline to talk to them, but I got so much stick from them when I wouldn't stop (including one guy following me up Union Street yelling stupid things like "I bet you've never been homeless have you! You've no idea what it's like!") that I've taken to just telling them to fuck off as soon as they come near me. That idiot felt my wrath eventually. Then he meekly shut up.

I cannot believe they're wasting time on something so trivial as this. The litter caused by flyers is nothing compared to that caused by discarded/regurgitated takeaway food, which is much more unpleasant to look at and clear up than a few bits of card. Are the going to ban takeaways next?

Once again, the licensed trade is taking the blame for the actions of individuals who should learn how to behave in public. It costs too much to go after the real troublemakers, so they pick on the businesspeople who are trying to make money and sustain jobs in our city centre. The council truly are a pathetic bunch.

But they can't do much about "the real troublemakers" can they? Other than convict everyone that drops a flyer thats been handed to them, or there chip wrapper. Which would be more costly and more hassle. And they can't just shut down all takeaways neither.

I do think the city centre needs more bins though. Have always thought that. Discuss?

I cannot believe they're wasting time on something so trivial as this. The litter caused by flyers is nothing compared to that caused by discarded/regurgitated takeaway food,

Once again, the licensed trade is taking the blame for the actions of individuals who should learn how to behave in public. It costs too much to go after the real troublemakers, so they pick on the businesspeople who are trying to make money and sustain jobs in our city centre. The council truly are a pathetic bunch.

Its all part of the same thing really & you can't deny that takeaway queues & even the takeaways themselves are a prime target for flyering.

Don't disagree that people should be expected to use a bit of responsability but in this day & age, information is not difficult to get hold so maybe they should get rid of the lot - flyers, papers, god-bothering crap, double glazing, chuggers, ..... the list could go on a while!

However, after hearing the comments of the SLTA rep, I am wondering if there is maybe a bit of a commercial rivalry/jealousy issue going-on here?

And they can't just shut down all takeaways neither.

I do think the city centre needs more bins though. Have always thought that. Discuss?

It is actually very easy to shut a takeaway or even a pub/club if they are contributing to a public nuisance problem. Both under the licencing regs & the terms of the partenerships that virtually all licenced places now belong to. Personally, I'd like to see that one used a bit more often.

No shortage of bins IMO & there have been plenty new ones put-in recently. If you can't hold-on to your crap till you get to one now, I'd wonder if you should really be out on your own?

Yeah. There must be a bloody army of them to clean up all the flyers\sick\chips\kebabs in time for shops opening.

They spend our taxes well!

(I mean, not my taxes as I'm a student, but you know).

I think what we need is a real invention.

You know what I'm thinking? Printing flyers on edible paper (organic ink of course). That way, people can munch it after "absorbing" the information. Then they can digest that information. Quite catchy if you ask me!

Problem solved.

It is actually very easy to shut a takeaway or even a pub/club if they are contributing to a public nuisance problem. Both under the licencing regs & the terms of the partenerships that virtually all licenced places now belong to. Personally, I'd like to see that one used a bit more often.
Yeah, I said "ALL", not just one.
No shortage of bins IMO & there have been plenty new ones put-in recently. If you can't hold-on to your crap till you get to one now, I'd wonder if you should really be out on your own?
dont get me wrong, I always put shit in the bin, and if its a flyer, i usually put it in a pocket so i can get rid of it properly when I get home, but I still think theres not enough bins, especially on places like george street. Even walk from triple kirks to the Belmont and see how many bins there are. While doing it, count how many people are queuing at takeaways in that area or handing out flyers.

I didn't see one in Belmont street last Friday. There was quite a lot of people who were maybe obscuring my view of them. I walked into a takeaway to find a bin at the door so used that one.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Suits me, I'd be quite happy to walk through town without some little shit trying to hand over a flyer for the shitty club they want me to spend money in. I'm not interested in your poxy little titty bar either, if I was going to pay for it I'd go down the harbour. Leave me alone.

:up:

Typical bloody council thinking, sledghammer/nut and in this case they even aim at the wrong nut.

If they really want to address the litter problem they should be looking at the detritus from fast food first, I see far more of that than I do discarded flyers. Unfortunately the only way I can see to do that is to get the fast food outlets in the city centre to pay a licence fee and use the money to get some street cleaners. Cost to us taxpayers-nil, cost to the people who buy fast food-minimal, cleaner streets, everybody's happy.

If they really want to address the flyer problem they should ban advertising of cheap booze out with the premises and the "cheap/free entry with this flyer" flyers, most of your flyers will disappear overnight because it will leave most places with nothing to advertise unless they are providing some sort of entertainment other than cheap booze in a crowded cattle market with nobody DJ's playing generic pop shit . That would be a double whammy for the council as well, they address some of the litter problem and are seen to be trying to tackle the "binge-drinking culture".

Oh well, I don't know why I'm surprised, it's not as if I expect the council to actually sit down and think about a problem rather than grasping at the first solution that presents itself.

Typical bloody council thinking, sledghammer/nut and in this case they even aim at the wrong nut.

If they really want to address the litter problem they should be looking at the detritus from fast food first, I see far more of that than I do discarded flyers. Unfortunately the only way I can see to do that is to get the fast food outlets in the city centre to pay a licence fee and use the money to get some street cleaners. Cost to us taxpayers-nil, cost to the people who buy fast food-minimal, cleaner streets, everybody's happy.

If they really want to address the flyer problem they should ban advertising of cheap booze out with the premises and the "cheap/free entry with this flyer" flyers, most of your flyers will disappear overnight because it will leave most places with nothing to advertise unless they are providing some sort of entertainment other than cheap booze in a crowded cattle market with nobody DJ's playing generic pop shit . That would be a double whammy for the council as well, they address some of the litter problem and are seen to be trying to tackle the "binge-drinking culture".

Oh well, I don't know why I'm surprised, it's not as if I expect the council to actually sit down and think about a problem rather than grasping at the first solution that presents itself.

Umm, fast food outlets are required to have a licence, and so pay a licence fee already.

I fail to see the problem here. It seems like some folk are using it as a convenient excuse to have a whinge about the council. Change the record folks, the council is there to look after the wider interests of Aberdeen, not the narrow interests of certain individuals or establishments.

If someone is seriously suggesting that flyers are the only way to ensure a crowd at gigs or punters in a club, then perhaps the people running those establishments need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Viable establishments which can offer decent quality entertainment should have nothing to fear.

I think most of this discussion just misses the point. The problem isn't fast food places and it isn't people flyering. It's people being inconsiderate. If you get a takeaway, put the rubbish in the bin. If you have a flyer you dont want then put it in the bin.

It's sad that I will probably be thought of as naive for thinking people should be expected to act conscientiously and leave places in a nice condition.