aberdeen-music

Favourite Ever Aberdeen band.

Lemonade

Tibetan Dave at a Drakes open mic night...

I have enjoyed a great many local bands over the, too numerous, years but can't remember many of them... Probably easier to name the bands I have thought were shite... Plenty of them like...

Oh, 'Another Wild Rose' were nae bad if I remember correctly. Could be seeing this through rose tinted Drummonds beer goggles of course...

TWOJOE's back in town!

Tibetan Dave, he's my hero! Honestly. Drakes was the best venue for him though. Haven't seen him as good elsewhere.

I 'played' bass for Tibetan Dave at a couple of Drake's open-mikes.

It was fun, in an improv/innocent way. Sort of 'guilty but not improven'!

I always seemed to be his first choice as percussionist, and I have to say I really enjoyed it most of the time. It was quite liberating really, sometimes we did genuinely come up with something interesting. Most of all it just felt like an essential part of the unique Drakes Open Mic vibe.

creepy tapping English hippies

Having non talented, tapping, creepy, folk who make a career out of mental health issues and stalk drunks is nae my idea o a good open mike nicht, it's like that stinky fucker Garth a ower again, but at least he had the decency to stay aff the stage while he mineswept onything worth downing .

Guest idol_wild

Flight 19

Easily one of the worst.

However, two of their members went on to be involved with Fiction/Action (best Aberdeen band ever) and Right Hand Left.

So obviously good can come of bad things.

Having non talented, tapping, creepy, folk who make a career out of mental health issues and stalk drunks is nae my idea o a good open mike nicht, it's like that stinky fucker Garth a ower again, but at least he had the decency to stay aff the stage while he mineswept onything worth downing .

Three cheers for xenophobia!

I really like a band that I saw a while ago called Toy, think they're playing on Friday night (can't go unfortunately).

Hot Mangu are good fun, put on a good show.

Must say my gig attendance has dropped recently so haven't seen enough recently to have a balanced opinion on new bands. I really liked Kill baby Kill (with ... somewhere) but only saw them once - if you're reading this, when are you playing again!!!

AKA the Fox were quality live.

I like Amy Sawyers and her band.

There was a band called the abominal snowmen, vague memories of really enjoying them.

So many gigs, so much alcohol, so few brains cells!!

• Upvote 1

I am a comparitive newbie to Aberdeen so only seen some of the bands but from what I have seen I have liked (probably missed some by accident as low on caffeine) :

Hot Mangu

Black Atom

Element 106

Radio Lucifer

Pearl Jammin (covers band I know but very good)

Liars Dice

Lady Mercedes

Really need to check out more of the heavier local thrash acts etc

She died a few years ago. I used to see her sing at the Folk Club in the Adelphi (also a regular singer was Bob Cooney, ex-International Brigade)

That's very sad. I worked with her a few times - spellbinding, must have been between the late 80s & early 90s but had no idea what became of her. :(

Cooney as well, once at a big rally but he was pretty far through.

Thanks

Driveblind

Amy Sawers

The Little Kicks

Amy Sawyers has an amzing voice and really into the style, also I'm a bit biased as my cousins the bass player! (Stuart - who is also a good musician)

Lovin the little kicks also great at titp and were being appreciated heaps by the punters

Seen the xcerts a few times now too, pretty decent