aberdeen-music

Favourite Ever Aberdeen band.

Lemonade

This whole set up would look so badass if it was on Bandcamp, and laid out like this: http://basickrecords.bandcamp.com/

Obviously it would take absolutely ages for one person to do it, though if the username and password was passed around for bands to upload their stuff, the chore would be spread out, and it would be more readily available to people other than those who have been invited. It would be good for it to get passed around to people outside of Aberdeen too.

Just an idea. Alot of work at first, but once it was done, it would be easy to maintain.

• Upvote 4

This whole set up would look so badass if it was on Bandcamp, and laid out like this: http://basickrecords.bandcamp.com/

Obviously it would take absolutely ages for one person to do it, though if the username and password was passed around for bands to upload their stuff, the chore would be spread out, and it would be more readily available to people other than those who have been invited. It would be good for it to get passed around to people outside of Aberdeen too.

Just an idea. Alot of work at first, but once it was done, it would be easy to maintain.

I think the idea was that it was quite a 'closed' group of people that were/are permitted to hear this stuff. a) it will make people less 'self-conscious' about uploading dodgy recordings - there are Wishes recordings I'm happy to share with you lot but would prefer not to be in the public domain, and b) it means if people are uploading music that they do not own (i.e. the Liber8, or Fickle Public stuff as an example) then it's much easier to control.

• Upvote 1

Does that mean you cant upload any more? I have like 6gb now because of everyone signing up!

It means I cannot upload any more nor can I download the 'pending' folder/tracks that have not made it to my computer yet. WAAGH.

The Deportees use Dropbox to share various things and videos and the like are taking up a massive chunk of my allowance. I maybe just need to pay for more.

I think the idea was that it was quite a 'closed' group of people that were/are permitted to hear this stuff. a) it will make people less 'self-conscious' about uploading dodgy recordings - there are Wishes recordings I'm happy to share with you lot but would prefer not to be in the public domain, and b) it means if people are uploading music that they do not own (i.e. the Liber8, or Fickle Public stuff as an example) then it's much easier to control.

That's fair enough and makes sense.

I still maintain it would be a pretty cool idea to have a set of recordings for Aberdeen bands all in one place and openly available for outsiders to have a browse through, stream and perhaps even set a small price on downloads if people want to keep it forever. Obviously with the permission of the band/artist, and only uploading stuff they are comfortable sharing. It could be collectively done if bands are given the log-in and password, so if anyone is uploading a new recording to their own Bandcamp (or whatever else bands use) they could upload it to a collective Aberdeen one too, if they so wish.

• Upvote 1

That's fair enough and makes sense.

I still maintain it would be a pretty cool idea to have a set of recordings for Aberdeen bands all in one place and openly available for outsiders to have a browse through, stream and perhaps even set a small price on downloads if people want to keep it forever. Obviously with the permission of the band/artist, and only uploading stuff they are comfortable sharing. It could be collectively done if bands are given the log-in and password, so if anyone is uploading a new recording to their own Bandcamp (or whatever else bands use) they could upload it to a collective Aberdeen one too, if they so wish.

Aberdeen-Music bandcamp.

Supporters get to download it all for free :p

We're looking into enabling Bandcamp embedding on the site in addition to all the ones we have now (including Soundcloud now if no-one's noticed). If we can get that setup it might be a good way of doing what Soda's suggesting without everyone having to upload things twice. Just embed their album or song instead into a single thread or a page.

• Upvote 3

Guest Gladstone
We're looking into enabling Bandcamp embedding on the site in addition to all the ones we have now (including Soundcloud now if no-one's noticed). If we can get that setup it might be a good way of doing what Soda's suggesting without everyone having to upload things twice. Just embed their album or song instead into a single thread or a page.

Yeah - sounds good.

And attracting more visitors to Aberdeen Music in the process (hopefully...).

EDIT: Could it be a "sticky" thread on the front page so it's the first thing visitors to the site see?

Yeah - sounds good.

And attracting more visitors to Aberdeen Music in the process (hopefully...).

EDIT: Could it be a "sticky" thread on the front page so it's the first thing visitors to the site see?

I know that it works the other way round, Aberdeen-Music generates a bit of traffic for Seas, Starry. It's definitely worthwhile having a link in yr signature.

And, no, I hadn't noticed S/C, but now I have, is it with their embed coding?

somewhere I might even have a live set from deBarros recorded in laurencekirk. I might even have FeSTR, Atom, Hot Mangu, Quik and Liber8 from the same gigs. I'll have to rake about!

Sorry for the late arrival to this thread but this is such an awesome idea!! I'd love an invite if that's cool, jamiemowatt@hotmail.com

I've got hunners of Atom stuff that I could put up; I don't have that gig though Spoonie! That would be brilliant to hear; you just don't get gigs like that anymore!! What a night!