aberdeen-music

The Red House Painters

unbroken

Basically, I fell in love with them when I heard "Have You Forgotten" on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack.

So after some recent research, I discovered it was on "songs for a blue guitar", which is essentially a Mark Kozalek solo album. So the version that is on the album is completely different to he one that is on the vanilla sky soundtrack, SO, does any one on here have any knowledge if it appeared on any RHP albums?

I have already checked allmusic.com, but have come up empty handed.

thanks.

Basically, I fell in love with them when I heard "Have You Forgotten" on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack.

So after some recent research, I discovered it was on "songs for a blue guitar", which is essentially a Mark Kozalek solo album. So the version that is on the album is completely different to he one that is on the vanilla sky soundtrack, SO, does any one on here have any knowledge if it appeared on any RHP albums?

I have already checked allmusic.com, but have come up empty handed.

thanks.

As far as i know the version you are talking about is only available on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack. It's definitely not on any of the other albums. It's not even on "Retrospective".

RHP are great though. My old band, Undertow, were compared to RHP when we got reviewed by channel 4 music many moons ago, which was very flattering.

I didn't like that album very much but it depends on which album you heard first, the Sun Kil Moon or Modest Mouse. See my old flatmate had quite a lovely taste in music but he preferred Sun Kil Moon's version of Tiny Cities Made of Ashes. For me there is no comparison but it is perhaps how the song struck me at first. I really don't like the covers album very much myself though.

I've listened to the album just once more, and it was just to see whether I was being to hard on them. But their covers just don't seem adequate and I swear that there are better acoustic interpretations that could be performed. And Tiny Cities Made of Ashes is supposed to have that electronic infused aspect to it; it's not supposed to be calming and reflective. Lines like "yeah we're drinking coca cola, I can feel it going right on down my throat" just don't seem like they'd be best along with acoustic guitars. The whole concept might be inspired by the calm ending of the song but I just think as an interpretation it is not very good at all. I apologise for people who like the song but comparitively it is just a bad idea.

I'm just not a fan of the 'slightly quirky choice of cover done on an acoustic guitar, with the lyrics shoved in quite awkwardly' approach to songs.

You'll get a job with Pitchfork someday RF, someday!

Anyway, Ghosts of The Great Highway (1st SKM album) is brilliant. As are the earlier RHP releases, they got a bit middle of the road by the end.

Guest idol_wild
Even that pointless Modest Mouse covers album?

I think that's a fantastic album. I actually hate Modest Mouse with a passion, so it was quite nice to hear superior versions of their songs. With nicer guitars and better vocals. And vocal melody lines. The awkwardness is part of the appeal for me.